View Full Version : WMP playlists

terrypin
10-08-2003, 10:33 PM
This must be something pretty basic I'm doing wrong. I cannot seem to
display more than 5 playlists in WMP. As soo as I add a new one, I
lose an existing one. It's driving me nuts!

Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

ctmagnus
10-08-2003, 10:45 PM
The file is gone or the reference to the file in WMP is gone?

AFAIK, WMP will keep in its cache only the last five playlists played. However, in my experience (and I generally make these things read-only so as not to accidentally edit/delete them in the future; ymmv depending on file attributes) all the playlists on the device are still there, You just have to go looking for them.

terrypin
10-08-2003, 11:31 PM
Thanks for that prompt reply. But could you step me through this a bit please? I can see more than 5 .ASX files in File Explorer. And when I view Organise Playlists they are in there. But only 5 display when I tap Playlist. There's no scroll or arrow for getting to select from a longer list!

In case it's relevant, the music files themseleves are on CF in folders like \Music\Streisand, \Music\Getz, etc. They play fine. But I need at least 20-30 playlists to be able to access them 0 not 5 ;-(

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

ctmagnus
10-09-2003, 03:13 AM
I think what you're finding is a "feature". I only get the five playlists as well, even though I have more than five on my SD card.

terrypin
10-09-2003, 08:23 AM
I think what you're finding is a "feature". I only get the five playlists as well, even though I have more than five on my SD card.

Yes, I came to that disappointing conclusion too last night, after several futile hours trying to find what I'd been doing wrong.

It finally dawned on me that you have to go to Organize Playlists, highlight the one you want to use (even though you neither want to Delete it or Rename it), click OK to close, and then it will be at the top of your list of 5 usable playlists. The other 4 are presumably the most recently used.

Isn't that a dreadful design? Why couldn't the Organize dialog have been made the control centre? All the playlists are in there. Just one more command (Run) was necessary.

BTW, so far I've found no way to sort those playlists in the Organize window? With my new 1GB CF card, I expect to have scores of playlists, so having them in alpahabetic order is desirable.

I've posted separately asking for recommended alternatives to WMP (unless a greatly improved upgrade is in sight?)

Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003, PI 4.6

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

IanT
10-09-2003, 04:15 PM
I am currently trying an alternative player (Pocketmusic) however with WMP the playlists are usually located in my documents (with WM2003 you can choose where they are created).

A solution I have used (alongside smallmenu) is to create a music directory under the start menu\Programs which is where I have my custom menu. Copying all your playlists in there allows you to choose the playlists directly from the menu structure - this automatically launches WMP and clicking 'playlist' allows you to choose specific tracks from the list.

I'm trying the new player as I can't seem to get WMP to display the tracks in the 'correct' order without re-ordering them, something I would prefer to avoid.

Hope this helps.

Ian T

terrypin
10-09-2003, 07:38 PM
That's a neat idea, Ian, thank you - I'll try it.

I've just installed PocketMusic, and would be interested in hearing what you think of it. On first impressions I don'y personally like its appearance -I prefer a standard 'un-skinned' window - and its controls seem very small. Nor do I need many of its features, like that graphic equaliser stuff.

If possible, I'd like to capitalise on my familiarity with WMP (on PC) and avoid learning a new prog, so I'll persist a while with it.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

ctmagnus
10-09-2003, 09:48 PM
Something you may want to try is CEPlaylist (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1596).

terrypin
10-10-2003, 07:48 AM
Thanks - downloaded it yesterday.

Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK