View Full Version : .lit > MobiReader?

sjo
10-08-2003, 02:45 AM
If it is OK to ask:

I have some .lit books (that I legally own) that I would like to convert to MobiReader format.

Could someone outline the steps I need to take to do this?

Thanks, sjo

dh
10-08-2003, 04:18 AM
You need to get two free applications.

1. The infamous Convert Lit. (Do a Google search for it). This will explode the .lit into a number of HTML files. There are some threads on this site with some tips on how to use this program.

2. Mobipocket Publisher, from www.mobipocket.com Use this program to compile the files into either an unprotected .lit or MobiPocket book.

In general it is not considered naughty to change the format of an eBook that you own, assuming it's for your own use. Threads discussing this have not been deleted or changed, unless they include links to software that could be used for illegal purposes. The admins of the site have taken a very sensible approach to this issue, especially when you consider that a number of them are associated with Microsoft and ConvertLit is probably not MS's favorite application.

By the way, I found that, after downloading the latest MS Reader update, I can't convert .lit books that I downloaded before the update.

sjo
10-08-2003, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the info.

This latest (late Sept 2003) call to reactivate Reader has confused me.

I did not reactivate my Reader then, but was surprised tonight that I was able to download and open the new free books from MS.

Does that seem strange?

faustus67
10-08-2003, 08:50 AM

1. The infamous Convert Lit. (Do a Google search for it). This will explode the .lit into a number of HTML files. There are some threads on this site with some tips on how to use this program.

2. Mobipocket Publisher, from www.mobipocket.com Use this program to compile the files into either an unprotected .lit or MobiPocket book.

In general it is not considered naughty to change the format of an eBook that you own, assuming it's for your own use. Threads discussing this have not been deleted or changed, unless they include links to software that could be used for illegal purposes. The admins of the site have taken a very sensible approach to this issue, especially when you consider that a number of them are associated with Microsoft and ConvertLit is probably not MS's favorite application.

By the way, I found that, after downloading the latest MS Reader update, I can't convert .lit books that I downloaded before the update.

Hi dh,

which version of convert lit are you using? There is an updated version (1.5) available at the infamous site. Haven't had any problems with this version.

Dave

dh
10-08-2003, 11:46 AM

Hi dh,

which version of convert lit are you using? There is an updated version (1.5) available at the infamous site. Haven't had any problems with this version.

Dave
I have 1.5 and 1.4.

I found that 1.5 is fine on books I've bought (and the free ones) since the update, but will not open files that I downloaded before the update.

I'm not too concerned, I usually make the conversion when I get the book, I just have a couple of the free MS ones still in Reader format.

davidspalding
10-13-2003, 04:03 PM
Actually, I believe that the DMCA makes it a crime to even use software which willfully defeats copy protection (e.g., DRM5 wrappers on secure .LIT ebooks). So it is naughty, even to convert a book you own or bought. Hence, the innate, unmistakable evil of the DMCA. It invalidates a whole slew of time shift, personal use and academic research applications of reverse engineering copy-protected media (ebooks, DVDs, Adobe Acrobat files, et al) previously "protected" under the doctrine of "fair use."

PetiteFlower
10-13-2003, 06:35 PM
Depends on your definition of "naughty". Illegal, technically, yes. But I do not belive converting books (or music, or video, etc) that YOU OWN for your own use could in ANY way be considered stealing--no one is losing money. So use your own judgement on what you consider to be right and wrong.

davidspalding
10-14-2003, 03:50 AM
So use your own judgement on what you consider to be right and wrong.while i agree with you on this regarding eBooks, ... your philosophy is the kind that lands people in court as defendants.

PetiteFlower
10-14-2003, 05:10 AM
And such is the consequences of their actions. While there are a few laws I willfully break, because I believe they are unjust, if I ever got caught doing so I wouldn't expect to be let off the hook simply because I disagree with the law. I might try to fight it through the courts, and I might even win, but if I did not, I would expect to have to deal with the punishment. That's what being an adult is all about--weighing the consequences of your actions and making informed decisions, and being willing to accept any unfortunate consequences that might come as a result.

The government can't tell me what is right and wrong, it can only tell me what is the law, and I get to make a choice whether to follow it based on my own personal morals and what the potential consequences are. Such is every adult's choice in a free society.

davidspalding
10-14-2003, 02:10 PM
Thanks for explaining a little further. ;) I think on first glance some less mature readers might think you were espousing cracking protected media and doing with it as they please, based on a philosophy of (not to put words in your mouth) don't worry about the evil laws like DMCA, just do as your conscience dictates.

I prefer to argue healthy respect for the laws, just or otherwise, while fighting as a citizen to change laws which clearly deny me some basic, reasonable rights. ... Like the ability to read and enjoy an eBook which I am properly entitled to (purchased, downloaded lawfully from a publisher or authorized third party), even if my PDA/computer is an older, incompatible unit. Some argue that this is "fair use," "personal use," but the DMCA ("boo-o-o-o") makes no such provision.

dh
10-14-2003, 02:21 PM
I didn't pay any attention to the DMCA while it was going through Congress.

How did such a thing come to get passed? I can only assume that our elected representatives didn't really understand what was put in front of them.

Which industry lobbied hardest for this? The music business because of Napster?

PetiteFlower
10-14-2003, 07:18 PM
I don't understand why suddenly digital media has different copyright rules then everything else. The DMCA sucks, to put it bluntly. The concept of "fair use" has been integral to copyright law since it was conceived of; the music industry apparantly thinks that makes it too easy for piraters to hide, but that's BS. Something is not "fair use" if you're selling it or giving away copies of it(via fileshare etc), that's a pretty easy distinction to make. If you're copying it for use on your own devices, that IS fair use. If I buy a CD and want a copy to keep at work and another for at home, that's fair use.

The way I see it, this law will not get struck down if no one challenges it; if they want to attempt to arrest me for it, they can go right ahead, I'm sure there are TONS of lawyers that would love the chance to challenge this law and would take the case for free even. Let them try to file a lawsuit against me when what I'm doing isn't causing them to lose any money, they'll get laughed out of court. I understand the purpose and intent of copyright laws and this goes way beyond what it should; if I can do a part in getting it declared unconstitutional, I will!

davidspalding
10-14-2003, 09:25 PM
I didn't pay any attention to the DMCA while it was going through Congress.

How did such a thing come to get passed? I can only assume that our elected representatives didn't really understand what was put in front of them.

Which industry lobbied hardest for this? The music business because of Napster?

Sure they did. Consumers and netizens just didn't yell loud enough. The EFF (www.eff.org) tried, though.... Gawd, they tried.