View Full Version : ActiveSync and connected status in WM2003

Kevin C. Tofel
10-07-2003, 02:38 AM
I upgraded my Dell Axim x5 from PPC2002 to WM2003 about 2 weeks ago. On both my work and home PC, I upgraded from AS 3.5 to 3.7 and I'm now seeing something strange (well, at least I THINK it's strange!)

Typically at work, I leave my Axim in the cradle, always connected to my desktop. I never saw any strange behavior before the upgrades. Now, after a few minutes, ActiveSync shows my Dell as not connected, i.e.: the AS tray icon goes from Green to Gray. When I pull the Dell from the cradle, I get the "disconnect" sound...you know the one...."Dee, daa, dum".....(not bad, huh?!?). :way to go:

I find it odd for two reasons:

1. The disconnect sound is playing even though AS is showing the device as already disconnected.
2. The device used to constantly sync.

The AS settings are a little different in WM2003.....I remember in 2002, you could "schedule" the syncing, but I'm not seeing any options that are of help to this.

Is this standard (and if so: WHY?!?!) or are other folks not seeing the same behavior?

Thanks in advance....

KCT

CTSLICK
10-07-2003, 03:43 AM
I am there with you but it really unpredictable. Some days its fine other days it disconnects itself 3-4 times.

See also this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18305)

Sven Johannsen
10-07-2003, 04:53 AM
Not sure why Active Sync is disconnecting on you, but you might look on the PPC in ActiveSync/Tools PC Tab, Options...There is a Maintain Connection radio button that is really designed for syncing remotely, WiFi, BT etc. I haven't had the patience to see if it affects anything on a USB sync.

As far as sounds go, there are actualy two on connect and two on disconnect. On connect, there is a lower pitched ba-deep that is the USB connect, followed by the beddeledep of the ActiveSync connection. If you then go into AS and click Stop you'll here the deedledoop of AS disconnecting. If you then remove the PPC you'll likely get the USB disconnect, de-boop.

Seems like they don't allways all happen. In sounds though you will find under Windows, Device Connect and Device Disconnect, and under ActiveSync you will find Connect Confirm and Disconnect Confirm.

Kevin C. Tofel
10-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Not sure why Active Sync is disconnecting on you, but you might look on the PPC in ActiveSync/Tools PC Tab, Options...There is a Maintain Connection radio button that is really designed for syncing remotely, WiFi, BT etc. I haven't had the patience to see if it affects anything on a USB sync.

Checked this option as well as all others I could find, both in AS on my desktop and my PPC.....still exhibiting the same behavior.

I'm wondering if this has to do with my upgrade of AS. Perhaps I should have uninstalled the prior version of AS and have done a clean install of AS 3.7....

Thanks,
KCT