View Full Version : PocketPC graphics/audio processor

pootp
10-07-2003, 02:23 AM
Hi Folks,

I was just curious, much like when you buy a PC, you consider what kind of graphics card will the computer use. Do you, in general, pay attention to what graphics processor is used in your PocketPC? Are there certain specs or benchmarks for 2D/3D that are particularly important when choosing a handheld? Similarly, do you pay attention to what kind of sound processor is included?

Right now I'm considering a PocketPC and the only thing I'm paying attention to is the type of CPU and the speed and expansion options there are. I haven't the slightest idea what is good for video/audio.

Thanks for your help.

Drex
10-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Hi Folks,

I was just curious, much like when you buy a PC, you consider what kind of graphics card will the computer use. Do you, in general, pay attention to what graphics processor is used in your PocketPC? Are there certain specs or benchmarks for 2D/3D that are particularly important when choosing a handheld? Similarly, do you pay attention to what kind of sound processor is included?

Right now I'm considering a PocketPC and the only thing I'm paying attention to is the type of CPU and the speed and expansion options there are. I haven't the slightest idea what is good for video/audio.

Thanks for your help.

Well, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the claims made by the PocketPC makers. The ATI Imageon was highly touted by Toshiba, but it is a flop. With PocketPCs any kind of graphics acceleration will rob battery life so it's tricky. For GPUs (graphics processing units), it's all about performance. And ironically, the fastest GPU is a mystery and it resides in the Asus A620. No one really knows what the hell ASUS put in this machine. The graphics performance in this Pocket PC outperform the competition by close to 300% according to SPB benchmarks. So, you must look at the real world performance of these machines.

Drex

Skoobouy
10-07-2003, 08:19 AM
I think you mean 30%. It isn't 3x faster. :)

Drex
10-07-2003, 06:43 PM
I think you mean 30%. It isn't 3x faster. :)

Actually, I meant exactly what I said. If you look at the graphics benchmark on the SPB website:
http://www.softspb.com/products/benchmark/compare.asp

you will see that the a620 scores a 4034 compared to an IPAQ 2215 score of 567 and an axim score of 434. So, I was wrong in that I did not state my case enough. It beat the ipaq score by about 800% and almost 1000% in the case of the axim. Yes, there are other complicating factors such as memory move speed and CPU benchmarks, but in the case of raw graphics performance your saying that there is only a 30% increase by the a620 in graphics performance would be a major fallacy.

Drex

Skoobouy
10-07-2003, 10:51 PM
Well then just oops all over the place then. :alfdance:

pootp
10-08-2003, 01:37 AM
I like Asus hardware. I have one of their laptops and it packed the most features for the price. My only gripe is that their laptops and probably also their handhelds are not as available in retail stores.

I'd love to get my hands on the a620, but I may as well stick to buying an HP because of the availability.

Drex
10-08-2003, 02:16 AM
I like Asus hardware. I have one of their laptops and it packed the most features for the price. My only gripe is that their laptops and probably also their handhelds are not as available in retail stores.

I'd love to get my hands on the a620, but I may as well stick to buying an HP because of the availability.

Hmm...well, you're right that is convenient if it's locally available, especially if something does go wrong with the device. In my case, I don't think worst case scenario so I don't let that affect my decision making. I purchased the ASUS A620 from ajump.com for $314, no tax and free shipping. Nothing has gone wrong yet.

P.S.--If you really want something that is high performance and that is available locally, I suggest you wait until next year. What you're looking for isn't available.

Drex

jkendrick
10-08-2003, 03:17 AM
Hi Folks,

Thanks for your help.

Well, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the claims made by the PocketPC makers. The ATI Imageon was highly touted by Toshiba, but it is a flop. With PocketPCs any kind of graphics acceleration will rob battery life so it's tricky. For GPUs (graphics processing units), it's all about performance. And ironically, the fastest GPU is a mystery and it resides in the Asus A620. No one really knows what the hell ASUS put in this machine. The graphics performance in this Pocket PC outperform the competition by close to 300% according to SPB benchmarks. So, you must look at the real world performance of these machines.

Drex

How do you figure the ATI is a flop? I'll put the e755 against any PPC running graphics intensive s/w such as video.

JonnoB
10-08-2003, 05:13 AM
How do you figure the ATI is a flop? I'll put the e755 against any PPC running graphics intensive s/w such as video.

The ATI video chipset has thus-far not only not been a speed enhancement to Pocket PCs, but actually slower than most other Pocket PCs. Windows Media, Pocket TV, and the various game emulators have proven that to be the case. The ASUS by the way, has proven the opposite and if you visit hardcore Pocket PC gaming sites and peruse the developer forums on gaming, they will tell you the same... ASUS rocks and anything with the ATI chipset.... well..... sucks toenails..

JustinGTP
10-08-2003, 05:50 AM
ATI chipset.... well..... sucks toenails..

interesting analogy :wink:

-Justin.