View Full Version : are you 2210 owners angry at the release of the 4155 so soon?

gonzo
10-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Just a question,
I realise to be part of this forum, you must be like me.......I use my PPC a LOT and have used it for years, and I've been happy with the upgrade track this long....not as fast as my desktop pc, and that suits me just fine ;-)

I'm worried now that HP plan to make this a fast moving market with faster processors, mucho more ram every 6 months or sooner....and the question is....

My argument about the 4155 is that for all extents and purposes, it's an upgraded 2210...nothing less, much more and will probably be a similar price...it doesn't appeal to a different market, it's just better....
and that sucks....because now I have to have one :lol:
I really don't want the hassle of ebaying my pride and joy, messing around with updates etc every few months to keep ahead of the game....

opinions everyone?

JonnoB
10-06-2003, 09:48 PM
I would love it if a new device were released even more rapidly... as long as it is not at the risk of poor quality post-sales support.

ignar
10-06-2003, 09:51 PM
I have no problem. 4155 is not a direct competition of 2215, either. That said, I'm interested in getting one because of its integrated Wifi.

gonzo
10-06-2003, 10:02 PM
I would love it if a new device were released even more rapidly... as long as it is not at the risk of poor quality post-sales support.

I must say I differ.....I like the output of devices we get at the moment, the changes are pretty good and significant (e.g. I waited for my 2210 as x-scale and ppc2003 + better screen and bluetooth made a pretty big difference from my 3850)

I don't want so many devices coming out that every 5-6 months I feel left behind.

Also, Ignar....no direct competition? 8O

Same cpu, same ram, same bluetooth, it adds
1250 mAh battery compaired to 900 mAh, wifi (that would cost me £130 to buy) same colour display, same good quality screen in a better form factor....2 months after I've bought my device?

It almost makes me feel like a plam user that bought a 505 just before the 515 was released....or worse...bought a 515 before the tungston was released..... :mrgreen:

I will always be a slave to tech, but I just hate seeing my lovely new toy getting old so quickly.....PPC has a shorter life span than hampsters! :roll:

dh
10-06-2003, 10:13 PM
The 4155 does not have a CF slot so is not an upgrade to the 2215.

A 2215 with both 802.11b and BT would be the Ipaq I would like.

ignar
10-06-2003, 10:19 PM
I think it's as much direct competition as 1945 is to 2215. Most importantly the form factor is different, and 4155 doesn't have a CF slot. Looks like more of an upgrade from 1945 rather than from 2215.

Pete Teoh
10-06-2003, 10:57 PM
The 4155 does not have a CF slot so is not an upgrade to the 2215.

A 2215 with both 802.11b and BT would be the Ipaq I would like.

I agree. I like having a CF slot that I can put the CF card from my digital camera in to quickly proof pictures I've shot. You won't be able to do that with a 4155.

gonzo
10-06-2003, 11:37 PM
I think it's as much direct competition as 1945 is to 2215. Most importantly the form factor is different, and 4155 doesn't have a CF slot. Looks like more of an upgrade from 1945 rather than from 2215.

Dude,
CF slot is the only difference, and apart from spending a considerable amount of money on a microdrive....that doesn't mean much to me.....
CF is the only feature lacking between the 2215 and 4155.....in my opinion the extras are worth it....
I have a plastic cover over my 2215 and am annoyed that I have to pay so much money for wifi (that would be a much bigger bonus for me...)

sumfunny
10-07-2003, 12:40 AM
Depends on $$$$$$$$$$$$ if it cost less then $150 more than what I paid then hell ya..

If it cost much more then no biggie i wouldnt have spent that much anyways.
I like the CF, faster larger and chaper memort then SD, I carry an SDwifi in my case so no diff on the wifi, but I would have like the smaller form, better screen, and internal wifi,

DimensionZero
10-07-2003, 01:10 AM
Hehe, I'm extremely happy with the 2210 and don't think I would go for anything else. Even with the new wi-fi and higher capacity battery, I knew what I was getting when I made my decision....

With that said, ask again after the 4155 is actually released and people have had a chance to play. LOL

nah. I love my 2210!
And if you think otherwise, pm me where you live and my penguins here will beat some sense into you! :mrgreen:

JustinGTP
10-07-2003, 02:23 AM
Yeah, I love my 2215 and I am not unhappy with teh 4155 coming out. Say if I was going to wait for the 4155, and then the news of the 6155 came, and then I would wait for that one instead of buying a 4155, and then news of the 6555 came out, so I would wait again. This would be a long process without a PPC, go buy one know and update in a few years!! Plus I know with my 2215 that it will last cause of its up to date technology, or so to speak :D We hope, anyways

-Justin.

stonepro
10-07-2003, 03:57 AM
I like the CF, faster larger and chaper memort then SD, I carry an SDwifi in my case so no diff on the wifi, but I would have like the smaller form, better screen, and internal wifi,

Hey, what kind of case? How well does it fit? Can you post a screen shot?

Sven Johannsen
10-07-2003, 04:34 AM
The lack of the CF slot is a no-sale to me. It is not the CF format that I am interested in though, it is the dual slots, one for memory and one for peripherals. Certainly with the built in WiFi and BT there are two items that you wouldn't need, and I have BT GPS so that is a non-player. There are cameras, VGA cards, wired NICs and modems as well though. The first is available as SD and I think the VGA is as well. I have not seen the other two, so at this point the CF format is still more versitile as far as peripherals go.

I think I would like to see an SD slot inside the device somewhere for memory. Under the battery like a SIM card would make sense to me. Then an externally accessible SDIO slot for peripherals. I would imagine more SDIO peripherals will become available as more SDIO capable devices appear, so I am not tied to CF, but two slots is a must.

Paula
10-07-2003, 08:08 AM
I don't have a h2215 yet, but it is on its way. I was waiting for the 4355 to come out because of the thumboard. But having recently held a device with roughly the same dimensions and weight I discovered that I disliked it. Also the lack of a CF slot in the 4000 series is what had me finally decide on the 2215.
I don't need built in wifi. I wouldn't use it that often, so a wificard will be great. Besides the cost of wifi services here in New Zealand is still very high. Maybe in another year or so I will re-consider my options or if HP comes out with a smaller thumboard device.

The 4000 series has nothing that would draw me to it. What would draw me in would be more RAM/ROM and a bigger screen.

Cheers
Paula

mr_Ray
10-07-2003, 05:50 PM
While built in wifi would have been a big plus for my iPAQ, I'm finding that I can use BT just as well (but a bit slower and longer batterly life).

I wouldn't have gone with the 4355 anyway since both the CF slot itself and dual memory slots in general were a requirement for me.

sumfunny
10-07-2003, 06:33 PM

Hey, what kind of case? How well does it fit? Can you post a screen shot?

Its the belkin leather case I think I paid $16usd for it from ecost.com, I'm in Canada and their service was pretty good, I also got the SD wifi for $91 its $83 now. I'll post screenshots here by thursday.

cslaughtermd
10-07-2003, 06:51 PM
I'm with Sven, the 4400 series and 2215 are marketed to different populations of discriminating PPC users such as ourselves. Some people (like myself) like dual slots to keep one for memory and the other for memory/peripherals/wireless for more versatility. Others only want one slot and like any communication simply built-in.
I'm still waiting for a 2215-type with dual slots, bluetooth, and GSM/GRPS built in! :D

Don Tolson
10-07-2003, 08:32 PM
I'm happy with my 2215, but it's a bit of a toss-up for me with an upgrade. If HP comes out with a 4000 or 6000 that has the side jog dial, record button, and dual CF/SD slots, I'm in! WiFi would be great, Bluetooth is becoming essential (I'm becoming more 'bluetooth enabled' everyday!).

Unfortunately, it's just the nature of the environment -- there will always be the Latest and Greatest just around the next bend. For now, I'm happy with my iPAQ, still miss my Jornada, but hey... we move on...

silentmuse
10-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Gotta replace my 2210 with one. My primary complaint about my 2210 is the lack of wifi, causing me to keep a wifi card in the cf slot at all times. Therefore, all my memory cards are SD, and I need to use a thicker, side flipping case so that a) the plastic thingy doesn't come off and b) the wifi card can stay in while in the case.

The new ipaq addresses all that exactly. As soon as it comes out I'll have my 2210+wifi+CasesOnline case available for sale....

sumfunny
10-09-2003, 03:18 AM
http://www.taimporter.com/ppc1.jpg
http://www.taimporter.com/ppc2.jpg
http://www.taimporter.com/ppc4.jpg
http://www.taimporter.com/ppc3.jpg

Here you go if you got any questions just ask

silentmuse
10-09-2003, 04:30 AM
That looks like it works pretty well. My primary questions would be:

- How annoying do you find it to have to insert and remove the SD wifi card every time you want to use it?

- Ever have a situation where you want to access WiFi and data on an SD card at the same time?

- How's the range on the SD WiFi card?

sumfunny
10-09-2003, 12:18 PM
That looks like it works pretty well. My primary questions would be:

- How annoying do you find it to have to insert and remove the SD wifi card every time you want to use it?
A: minor nusisance ince you insert card the pda turns on so you skip one step not a really big deal

- Ever have a situation where you want to access WiFi and data on an SD card at the same time?
a: no I use a 256mb compact flash instead thats always inserted and store my apps there, and compact flash seems to have a bigger size and faster.

- How's the range on the SD WiFi card?
a: seems about the same works through out the house but I havent really compared it to the laptop

squiggs1982
10-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Personally, I wouldn't touch a PPC without dual memory slots. Just my two bobs worth tho! :)

stevenmh
10-10-2003, 03:06 AM
I've learned not to bother with incremental upgrades...be it a desktop computer, laptop computer, PPC, digital camera, whatever. It gets to be a lot of trouble after awhile trying to keep up. Where a PPC is concerned, it's not just the device, but all the accessories you've bought for it as well. My philosophy is to wait long enough for the upgrade to be worth the money, but not so long that the device is so obsolete that it gets zero bids on eBay.

I had an E-115 for 3.5 years. I was holding out for CDMA Pocket PC Phones to become popular. When the Samsung i700 came out I thought the time was coming, but it doesn't seem to be catching on that quickly. So I picked up an h2215 while I could still get $100 for my E-115 on eBay, and figure I'll end up keeping it until I can finally buy one device to carry on my belt.

When I first heard of the upcoming iPAQ's I considered that I might want to upgrade. But like others, I wanted dual slots. Also, built-in wi-fi might be handy if wi-fi actually exists where you live. But in my town, the only wi-fi I know of is the wi-fi in my house. Once I leave my property, I have no need for wi-fi, so I can just leave the card behind and not worry about it. If it was built-in, I'd have to remember to turn it off to save the battery, and given how buggy some of the wi-fi card drivers have been, I can picture the feature not working properly and causing a lot of headaches.

If I could change anything I wanted about the h2215, it would be:

(1) Form factor closer to h1945
(2) Two card slots.... but both SDIO. One for "permanent" storage, the other for accessories.
(3) Built-in wi-fi w/ MATURE drivers...but I can do without this so long as item (2) is met. I'd just get an SDIO wi-fi card.
(4) Built-in CDMA...tri-band would be lovely, but I imagine it would likely only be dual-band. It would probably also rule out item (1), but I could live with that if it meant no more carrying a cell phone and cell-to-PDA cable.
(5) A version of ActiveSync that begins with something other than 3 and deserves the higher designation.

Until these dreams become reality, I don't really have any incentive to upgrade. A faster processor won't do it, I'm already at 528Mhz. More memory won't do it, I can add as much storage as I want with a card and I usually have 32-34 MB program memory free. Features that add significant value over what I have now, and allow me to use the device in ways that I can't now, are what will catch my eye and open my wallet with future releases.

braynes
10-10-2003, 04:56 PM
SanDisk makes a SD card that has 128 meg. plus wifi for about 100 bucks

Len Egan
10-13-2003, 11:40 AM
I got a DLink wifi card on ebay for $39...no big deal. To me having duel slots is more important than 33% more battery juice!

stevenmh
10-13-2003, 01:10 PM

I wouldn't want to have a wi-fi card inserted in my card all the time when I don't have any wi-fi networks to connect to after I leave my house. I think dual slots will always be important, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be dual SD slots, so long as the trend continues of making accessories available in the SD format.

MacBriar
10-13-2003, 09:33 PM
Hi
I just (weekend before last) upgraded from a Toshiba e330 to a 2210 boy what a difference, before that I had a Jornada 568 (broke the screen). I used to be a frequent upgrader, however now I like to keep a few months behind the bleeding edge. BTW I kept my e330 for a year and the only reasons for the change were the dual slots (for 128MB MMC and wifi card to come) and the lack of 2003 upgrades for the e330. I don't like being left behind in terms of software upgrades. So far I am loving the 2210, and in a while when the 4100 series reach the UK and come down in price I may be tempted to purchase one, and have a backup PocketPC. At the moment my backup PDA is a Palm IIIXe and my new laptop has neither a serial or infra-red port.

Ewan

Len Egan
10-14-2003, 01:34 AM

I wouldn't want to have a wi-fi card inserted in my card all the time when I don't have any wi-fi networks to connect to after I leave my house. I think dual slots will always be important, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be dual SD slots, so long as the trend continues of making accessories available in the SD format.

Who said they had a WiFi card in their device "all the time when I don't have any WiFi networks to connect to after I leave the house"? It's just like built in. You turn it on when you need/want it!

ppcsurfr
10-14-2003, 03:07 AM
I'm happy with my 2210... it has dual slots...

Any other HP with built-in dual slots?

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Askani
10-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Dual slots (whether they be CF/SD or SD/SD) is great, but how many of you actually use 2 slots and if so what for? Most I know use it for WIFI/Modem, basically internet access. With the built in WIFI and Bluetooth (Bluetooth cell phone) you have that. The SD camera might be an accessory that I would wish to have dual slots for, but it's a 1.3 mega pixel camera. I could just as easily use the one on my cell phone. Only reason for me to have dual slots is to have more memory. But if I could not get the PDA I wanted with dual slots (like the 4150) would it keep me from buying the PDA.... nope. Like someone said before, form factor is a big issue. My first digital camera (Kodak) was great, but was big bulky and used CF. Because of that, I hardly took it with me (which defeated the purpose of having it). Now I have a Minolta Dimage XT (fits in my shirt pocket and uses SD). I had the same problem with my iPaq 5450. I hardly took it with me and it was such a waste, so I sold it. I've seen the 1910/45 and seen the 4150 next to a deck of cards. Now, that is a PDA that I would take with me everyday and everywhere. Anyway, I just think this dual expansion issues is not that big of a deal (had an argument with friend earlier over this). It's not a necessity, it's a convenience. The PDA is not a PC with tons of useable peripherals. A lot of peripherals are SD compatible or use BT, like in the case of HP's upcoming BT GPS device. If you couldn't tell by now, I'm going to get an iPaq 4150.

gonzo
10-15-2003, 12:06 AM
Gotta replace my 2210 with one. My primary complaint about my 2210 is the lack of wifi, causing me to keep a wifi card in the cf slot at all times. Therefore, all my memory cards are SD, and I need to use a thicker, side flipping case so that a) the plastic thingy doesn't come off and b) the wifi card can stay in while in the case.

The new ipaq addresses all that exactly. As soon as it comes out I'll have my 2210+wifi+CasesOnline case available for sale....

Silentmuse,
I've recently got a wifi adsl router and am going to invest in a wifi card for my 2210. Just wondering what sort of battery life drain you get upon using it?

silentmuse
10-15-2003, 12:17 AM
To be honest, I couldn't really tell you. I have yet to drain the battery in a day, but then, I've probably only be using it on average, maybe 45 minutes to an hour per day, and I throw in on to charge at night. I've never tried draining the thing.....

foresscum
10-15-2003, 04:20 AM
For my purpose, I will use the built in WiFi for connectivity when indoor. And when I outside I can use Bluetooth to use my cell phone to check emergency emails etc.

For camera I often carry the Casio Exilim EXS-3 which is sized like a thick credit card.

So for my usage level, I dont really have to have a second slot. Unless I started getting hooked on GPS or something.

silentmuse
10-15-2003, 04:52 AM
Sure, but if you get hooked on GPS, just get hooked on a bluetooth GPS...

Askani
10-15-2003, 05:30 AM
Like HP's New Bluetooth Enabled GPS device.