View Full Version : How often do you rebuild your ppc?

robclif4d
10-06-2003, 08:53 PM
Just wondering...how often do you rebuild your ppc? Once a week, once a month, once a year..... . Just for clarification, by rebuild, I mean performing a hard reset and installing your apps from scratch, just not doing a restore. Just curious. Thanks.

pivaska
10-06-2003, 09:06 PM
If I am going to put something on my ppc that might be questionable in so far as perhaps giving me problems I will do a backup with PocketBackUp and then if I do have the problem I just restore. I always keep a good copy of my ppc on an sd just incase so I don't have to find everything again and load it all up.

arebelspy
10-07-2003, 02:16 AM
And to actually answer your question.. :lol:

About once a month would be average for me, maybe a bit less or more (plus or minus a week or two). Of course there are always problem times where I will rebuilt it a dozen or two times within the course of a week, but we'll call those outliers. ;)

-arebelspy

racerx
10-07-2003, 04:01 AM
I average about 2 to 3 months, sometimes less, sometimes more depending on how much software I'm trying out. It gets longer and longer as I've petty much found my set of applications that satisfies my needs.

Chris Spera
10-07-2003, 05:00 AM
It all depends on how many new apps I am currently testing and trying out. Like Racer X, I tend to average about once every 2 months or so...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Kaber
10-07-2003, 07:13 AM
About every 3 months or so I reevaluate the softs installed on my iPAQ and make of list of stuff to reinstall. I ALWAYS make a full backup of my iPAQ and all storage cards, and make sure I have all my registration information handy. I also backup my Outlook info at that time because it is a good habit. Then I hard reset.

It always amazes me how much free memory I have on the iPAQ after doing this.

i_spock
10-07-2003, 06:14 PM
I try to only do it when I upgrade to a new PPC, every 6 months or so. You people that do it once a month or more must not have children! :lol: Plus, when you take that leap, there's always that chance that something won't go right and then you're in for hours of trying to get things back to the way they were.

Word to the wise: check your apps to see if they have a built-in backup function and use it before you do your complete PPC backup. Sometimes PPC apps do weird things with storing data.

When I upgraded from a 1910 to a 1945, I did a backup of my 1910 and figured I'd be good to go. I had a lot of apps and data on a SD card, including boatload of data that I had input in pocket diet tracker- food data for all the food I eat, food diary for 3-4 months, etc... when I got my new unit and reinstalled PDT, I found that my food databases were corrupt and wouldn't restore correctly :evil: . This was partially due to going from ppc 2002 to 2003 :roll: , but if I had taken the time to backup the PDT data via the built-in backup function in the app, I wouldn't have lost everything.

Hmm I think I'll start a thread on that subject...

tomtiguy
10-09-2003, 02:09 AM
You all talk like you mean to hard reset your PPCs all these times. I've only meant to do it about a quarter of the times I've had to. The main reason I can see for hard resetting is if you have memory you want to get rid of: a suspicious application or you've deleted many apps and want to clear any stuff they've left behind.

So I agree with hard resetting for those reasons ... am I missing some?

doogald
10-09-2003, 02:54 AM
I'd prefer to do it less than I do. But I play around with a lot of apps and after a while they leave a bunch of "fat" behind - so I'm hard reseting and reinstalling. I just did it twice this past weekend. :roll:

But I'd say that I average about once every three months (counting this weekend as once).