View Full Version : Bluetooth GPS

dannybabc
10-06-2003, 07:52 PM
A few questions.

1) With the wireless bluetooth GPS unit, do you have to download maps of the area before using it or does it always know where you are?

2) After purchasing one of these for 300 - 400 bucks is there any monthly fees or is it just the initial purchase.

Last but not least,

3) Do any of these wireless bluetooth GPS units have a vehicle charger or do you have to take it in all the time and charge it from the wall.

I have been looking at these but have not been able to figure out these few questions.

Thanks for the help.

Pat Logsdon
10-06-2003, 08:13 PM
1) With the wireless bluetooth GPS unit, do you have to download maps of the area before using it or does it always know where you are?
There are two different components to a GPS solution. The hardware (or GPS unit) is one, and the software is the other. Your bluetooth GPS unit sends the satellite and location information to the software installed on your PPC, and you get your maps through the software provider. Popular vehicle guidance software includes Mapopolis, Routis/iGuidance, CoPilot, and TomTom Navigator. All vary in price and method of getting the maps. Mapopolis lets you download the maps, whereas Routis sends the maps on a CD.

2) After purchasing one of these for 300 - 400 bucks is there any monthly fees or is it just the initial purchase.
No - there are no additional fees. Usage of the GPS signal itself is free - you just need to pay for the hardware and software.

3) Do any of these wireless bluetooth GPS units have a vehicle charger or do you have to take it in all the time and charge it from the wall.
I believe that the TomTom (http://www.semsons.com/tombluetgpsr.html) (most expensive unit at ~$300) includes one, while the Deluo unit (http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DE&Product_Code=DBTGPS&Category_Code=GR) (the cheapest at ~$200) has an either/or option.

hollis_f
10-06-2003, 08:14 PM
1. The GPS will always know where it is (well, while it's switched on and can see the sky). You can get applications that will give you your position (latitude and longitude). You can use that info to find your place on a paper map. But it's a lot easier to buy the maps for the PPC.

2. Use of the system is free to all.

3. It depends. I use the Emtac device. That has a charging socket exactly the same as my iPAQ's (without the dongle). Others will have different charging systems. I believe one uses ordinary AA batteries.

GPSPassion recently had a head-to-head review of the various BT GPS devices.

dannybabc
10-06-2003, 08:19 PM
If you have to download the maps, how big of an area can fit on your PPC.

dave
10-06-2003, 08:19 PM
i have been doing some research myself lately, and think i have the answers to your questions.

1. you must have maps on the PPC, or more accurately, you have to have GPS software that should have maps.

2. no recurring fees that i am aware of, but the software that you choose will likely have a subscription of some sorts for updated maps. if you want your maps to be current you will have to update from time to time.

3. all of the bluetooth GPS's i have seen either come with a cigarette lighter adapter or one is available for ~$20.

as with many other bluetooth gps postings on this site, i will recommend you check out www.gpspassion.com . the site probably has more information than you were looking for, but they've got some good stuff. they did a bluetooth GPS shootout not too long ago.

speaking of which, i am getting ready to pull the trigger on the TomTom bluetooth GPS package, but i have to say i am a little concerned about the bluetooth range of the receiver. my intent was to mount the GPS receiver in the cargo area of my Honda Pilot, and have my iPAQ up front in a dash mount. any tomtom bluetooth users out there to attest as to whether or not this is going to work out for me?

Pat Logsdon
10-06-2003, 08:29 PM
If you have to download the maps, how big of an area can fit on your PPC.

That depends on the size of the area, and the vendor. I have Routis, and the maps for all of California take up about 150 mb. That includes all roads, highways, POA's, etc. in the entire state.

Pat Logsdon
10-06-2003, 08:33 PM
i am getting ready to pull the trigger on the TomTom bluetooth GPS package, but i have to say i am a little concerned about the bluetooth range of the receiver. my intent was to mount the GPS receiver in the cargo area of my Honda Pilot, and have my iPAQ up front in a dash mount. any tomtom bluetooth users out there to attest as to whether or not this is going to work out for me?
There's a section of the shootout (http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=55&page=5) on gpspassion that addresses just this issue. :wink:

Seems like it MIGHT work, but you'd be cutting it pretty close. I'd go with the Socket if you're in the TomTom price range.

dave
10-06-2003, 08:41 PM
yeah... that section is exactly what sparked my concern. the distance is definitely less than 7 meters, but if it wouldn't work in a backpack, i have to pause to consider. will the tomtom software work with the socket receiver. the tomtom software looks cooler.

Pat Logsdon
10-06-2003, 08:57 PM
will the tomtom software work with the socket receiver. the tomtom software looks cooler.
I'm pretty sure it will - I think I read something to that effect a few months ago when they were rolling out the pilot.

If you haven't bought the software yet, you may want to take a look at Routis 2004 (http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DE&Product_Code=RSSA&Category_Code=NAVS) - I saw that the new version of the software includes 3d views from 3 different angles (check out the 55 screenshots at the bottom of the page), and the maps are from Navtech, which I think has better US coverage than TeleAtlas (which is what TomTom uses).

Plus, it's a lot cheaper than TomTom! :mrgreen:

JonnoB
10-06-2003, 09:25 PM
Rumor has it that the BT GPS devices can only be charged 400 times throughout their life. If I want to use a BT GPS daily, that could be only a year before the product goes dead. Anyone else heard this?

DimensionZero
10-07-2003, 01:18 AM
Well, there are 2 GPS units that were reviewed that used 3 AAA batteries. That would definately prevent that...

Here's the quote from GPSPassion:

While Lithium-Ion are clearly very efficient, their lifespan is a bit of a mystery. Generally, they are rated for 500 charge cycles at the end of which the remaining efficiency would be 80%. Hard to tell at this point and it must also depend on batteries, since I've made the sad observation that all the batteries provided with my Sony devices (laptop, camera, camcorder) mysterioulsy "died" after about a year, contrary to some of my other L-I based devices...I've enquired with manufacturers and it will be possible to change the internal batteries when they "die" but the conditions (availability, cost and delays) haven't been defined yet. The GPSmart will not have this type of problem. When the 3 lithium-based receivers are plugged in to DC power (charger, car adapted), they appear to be powered via DC (no charging light) so that shouldn't wear out the battery.

Here the page I got it from: Clicky clicky (http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=55&page=4)

hollis_f
10-07-2003, 05:41 AM
yeah... that section is exactly what sparked my concern. the distance is definitely less than 7 meters, but if it wouldn't work in a backpack, i have to pause to consider. will the tomtom software work with the socket receiver. the tomtom software looks cooler.I use the Emtac receiver (same as the Socket) with TomTom software. I once had to place the receiver on the back shelf of a hire car I was using (heated windscreen made it unusable up front). Somehow it fell through into the boot (trunk) space. Still picked up 7 satellites! It also works inside the glove compartment. It must have a pretty strong signal.