View Full Version : Is there a way to speed up network browsing over bluetooth ?

Mitchybums
10-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Hi all,
I am happy with bluetooth, and everything works except network browsing.
I can access shares and stuff, but when there are files in the folders that I try to access, it takes long or it even times out the connection. I think it has something to do with the Icons of the files on the share that the IPAQ tries to download or something. Is there a way to speedup the browsing on network shares by disabeling the icon part (just standard icons instead of the colourfull installer icons or something)

Will a program like pocketlan make a difference compared to using the standard (2003) file explorer or resco file explorer?
Is there better out there ? I already changed the default config from 19200 to 115200 serial connections but it doesnt realy make a difference.

Thanks

WiFi has a lot faster transfer speeds, and is actualy a Network connection. Bluetooth is more compareable to dialup. I cannot even play mp3 files over the LAN.
The connection is setup on lanaccess over ppp, are there other ways to set it up? Or are there registry key's that are changeable to increase the bluetooth speed?

Thanks Justin for the reply.
I've seen multiple posts from you concerning bluetooth.
Dont you have any issues with the network browsing??
And if it's capable of 700+ KBs, is there a way to configure it using a bluetooth dongle on a desktop with my ipaq ??

TopDog
10-06-2003, 06:36 PM
I use Resco File Explorer 2003 on my WLAN, and speeds are very fast, browsing my network goes just as fast as browsing the PPC... so maybe it's the bluetooth protocol that's not very good for file-browsing!?

JustinGTP
10-07-2003, 01:19 AM
Bluetooth is only capable of 768KB/S, it says on the box. If you want fast speed, WiFi is 11mbps, and that is a HUGE difference.

-Justin.

seidler
10-07-2003, 08:24 AM
Bluetooth is only capable of 768KB/S, it says on the box.
*sigh* Yes, but most bluetooth CF cards (or even built-in bluetooth) is implemented using a COM port interface. Meaning the maximum overall speed (including communications and protocol overhead to the card) is 115200 Baud. I think with full bluetooth speed (like with 2 USB dongles on 2 PCs) the achieved 80-90kByte/s are sufficient, especially for a PocketPC.

But no, everybody disses bluetooth because it's so slow! :evil:

ciao Stefan
P.S.: Still noone could give me a hint where (or if) to find a Combo WiFi/Bluetooth CF card, because I use BT a lot with my phone, but for the reason stated I don't use it for sync anymore, and soon I want to use the university WLAN.