View Full Version : Should I buy a PocketPC for ebooks?

pootp
10-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Hi folks,

I'm in the market for a device for the sole purpose of reading ebooks. I'm considering purchasing a cheap/used laptop (minimum 400mhz) or a PocketPC device (Ipaq 2210). I have several books in PDF and CHM format which I read on my desktop, but would rather read when sitting in an easy chair or on the bus.

Would a PocketPC be ideal for reading books in PDF and CHM format? How about ebooks in general? Some of the books I have contain diagrams and code samples and I'm predicting this would cause me to scroll horizontally quite often.

Is there any software that would turn turn my display mode to 'landscape'? Otherwise, is there any other hardware that I can use? My budget is fairly low and TabletPC is out of the question.

Thanks for your help.

Kati Compton
10-05-2003, 08:45 PM
I would definitely recommend a PDA over a laptop for eBook reading. It lets you hold the device in a much more comfortable way that is more "natural" for reading. And battery time is much longer with most PDAs than with most laptops.

Janak Parekh
10-06-2003, 01:44 AM
The only problem though, Kati, is PDF viewing -- Adobe's Reader for Pocket PCs and Palms leaves a lot to be desired.

pootp, ebooks aren't the same thing as reference materials (that might be in PDF). You can certainly use a Pocket PC to read them, though, and if you do, consider getting something like RepliGo (www.repligo.com), which is a super-lightweight PDF-like tool that also happens to have landscape mode built in. That said, if you have really detailed diagrams, do realize that a 320x240 display isn't going to be top-notch for the application.

As for "real" ebooks, I wholeheartedly recommend PDAs over laptops for the purpose. It's no fun trying to curl up and read with a laptop. The only alternative to a PDA for ebooks is a Tablet PC, and there are notable advantages and disadvantages to that approach.

--janak

JustinGTP
10-06-2003, 05:23 AM
But then again, a cheap, used laptop battery power is about 1-1.5 hours. 400mHz laptops are getting on in the age department and therefore their batteries arent as high tech. I would recommend the PDA route aswell.

-Justin.

dMores
10-06-2003, 08:49 AM
pda: instant on, instant off.
laptop: 20h boot time ;)

mr_Ray
10-06-2003, 09:38 AM
I don't think that there's any way to even view CHMs on a PPC is there?

Unless I've managed to miss it when I looked, there is no such beast, which I guess would pre-answer the question.

If you had mainly HTML and text books, I'd go PPC, though.

seidler
10-06-2003, 10:18 AM
I don't think that there's any way to even view CHMs on a PPC is there?
Try this (http://www.filetransit.com/view.php?id=16465) to convert CHM to HTML.

Stefan

Talyn
10-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Or simply open a DOS window and use the following command:

hh.exe -decompile folder chm

where folder is the destination folder for the decompiled html files to be stored, and chm is the CHM file you want to decompile.

You can then take the source html files and do anything you want to them, such as whipping up an OPF to make an ebook (MS Reader and MobiPocket are both OEB-based).

Personally, I would highly recommend staying away from PDF though; it's an extremely poor format for an ebook and is notoriously slow in it's current state.

shawnc
10-06-2003, 03:47 PM
I love my PPC for ebook reading but would 2nd what Janak said about viewing PDF files. Haven't tried Repligo, but using the Adobe program for the PPC really is not a good solution.

But for ebooks, PPC all the way.

keelinlee
10-06-2003, 06:26 PM
I've heard that Mobipocket is working on 2 new plug-ins (PDF and CHM).

This may be usefull if you wish to use this software. Moreover, it would be great if it was possible to use CHM indexes in Mobi-converted version.

I already use the plug-in for Word, Excel and Outlook. It works well.

And the Reader has the portrait/landscape function.

davidspalding
10-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Mobipocket or uBook would be great for reading decompiled CHM HTML source files. ;) Mobi does any color combo you like, any orientation, highlighting, annotation, changes, custom bookmarking and linking.... Very neat problem with few drawbacks imHo.

Talyn
10-06-2003, 08:53 PM

The latest version does not, unless I've managed to lose it somewhere...

Jolard
10-06-2003, 11:12 PM
Pocket PC definitely (although what did you expect on a PPC website! :wink: )

Seriously though, reading e-books is the main thing I use my Pocket Pc for. It is wonderful. I love having my books with me all the time. I can grab a few minutes reading whenever, and it is instant startup when I turn it on again.

I thought that it might be difficult reading for a long time on the screen, but I have had no problems. I also love being able to read late at night in bed with the lights off so as not to disturb the spouse.

As for readers, I agree that pdf isn't the best, I like Mobipocket the best, and I especially like the landscape mode for reading. You can switch it to landscape and full screen mode, and the text takes up pretty much all available space. Add in the ability to change font sizes easily (I often start increasing the font size at 2 a.m. when I am getting tired :) ) and it is a great tool for reading.

Microsoft Reader is pretty good too, and I am currently reading a book in that format, although I like Mobipocket better. Have read in PDF, (just finished Bill Bryson's A short history of nearly everything, and it wasn't too bad).

Basically I would recommend the pocket pc over a laptop anyday. Quick access (no long bootup) portability (my IPAQ 1940 is in my pocket all the time) weight (it gets old holding a laptop for a long time, not to mention the heat if you have it in your lap, and the noise of the fans and drive etc).

There is no contest for reading.

pootp
10-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I think I've pretty much decided to go with PocketPC.

As for reading CHM on a PocketPC, there a software called Teamone Reader (http://www.teamonesoft.com/en/index_1.htm) that can do it. It reads almost every format as well. Anyone know if this works ok on PocketPC 2003?

Thanks again for your help.

Mona13
10-07-2003, 02:48 AM
I love e-books. Haven't bought a paperbook since I got my first PPC.

I use Palm Reader Pro though and haven't even activated MS Reader on my current PPC. Even the "free" books aren't worth the activation hassle.

Mona

hpf
10-07-2003, 10:35 AM

The portrait/landscape version has been introduced in Mobipocket Reader 4.5.
The 4.6 main feature was Unicode support.
For 4.7, it was wireless eNews and mobile website.

What will be 4.8 :?:

seidler
10-07-2003, 11:10 AM

What will be 4.8 :?:
Hopefully something simple. Like button assignment. Or autoscroll in fullscreen mode. Or add documents to the library that are not in the standard path. Something of these. I hope :D

Stefan

davidspalding
10-07-2003, 04:17 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I think I've pretty much decided to go with PocketPC.

As for reading CHM on a PocketPC, there a software called Teamone Reader (http://www.teamonesoft.com/en/index_1.htm) that can do it. It reads almost every format as well. Anyone know if this works ok on PocketPC 2003?

Thanks again for your help.

not sure if mentioned, but for dedicated eBook reading, look to PPCs with a jog dial, which can be used for easy one-handed paging.

if not, the "d-pad" is as important. with Mobipocket, i can change resolution (e.g., flip upside down) and use the d-pad on m Casio with my thumb without having to pinch the whole PDA by the corner. ;)

Talyn
10-07-2003, 07:40 PM

I remember the older versions having it, but on the 4.7 I have installed, it's not there any longer. Maybe it's a premium version-only feature now?

As for jog dials and d-pads - I also prefer being able to tap the screen to turn pages. I've only noticed MobiPocket and PalmReader have this feature, though Mobi's is a little flakey -- have to tap right and left instead of top and bottom.

KH
10-08-2003, 06:43 AM
If I stopped using my IPAQ 2210 for
- all my note taking
- contacts and calendar
- games and music
- pictures and videos of my kids and their horses
- my corporate phone directory
- my Wine Enthusiast Reference program
- my Language translation programs
- my Thesaurus, Dictionary, and Encyclopedia references

I WOULD STILL GET MY MONEY'S WORTH AS MY BOOK READER OF CHOICE - I have dropped my physical book purchases by 98% over the last three years, even though my total book $$has increased.

(ps, I have no intention of dropping the other functions!)

davidspalding
10-08-2003, 11:18 PM

I remember the older versions having it, but on the 4.7 I have installed, it's not there any longer. Maybe it's a premium version-only feature now?

As for jog dials and d-pads - I also prefer being able to tap the screen to turn pages. I've only noticed MobiPocket and PalmReader have this feature, though Mobi's is a little flakey -- have to tap right and left instead of top and bottom.

Mobi's tap screen can be set for either "tap anywhere - advance" or "tap in left margin - go back, tap in right margin - go forward."

According to this page (http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/CompareReader.asp) the orientation feature is indeed a Pro (regi$tered) version feature.