View Full Version : Bluetooth vs Wi-Fi, home vs work settings?? Best way to... ?

Mark_Venture
10-04-2003, 07:18 PM
Ok, bad thread subject title, but not sure how to phrase it best...

Currently at home I have the following setup and working... multiple Desktop PCs (WinXP pro) wired to Linksys BEFSR41 (wired broadband router) (additional 8port switch used too), a Linksys WRT54G (wireless G broad band router but configured as access point only) stacked to the BEFSR41 to provide for the wireless stuff. Thinkpad T23 with Linksys WPC54G wireless card running WinXP Pro, and an iPAQ 2215 with Ambicom WL1100C-CF card.

Activesync, web browsing, file transfers, installing apps, streaming audio/video, etc all work great to the iPAQ over wireless at home.

Now, I am starting to use the iPAQ more for work. I sync the iPAQ with the laptop for calendar, contacts and notes. At work, I use IR for Activesync, but where my laptop is docked, its difficult. Since I use MSN messenger, having that when away from my desk would be a big benifit, plus web access if needed. So I was thinking about wireless at work...

I can use Wi-Fi normally with the access point at home but At work, I'd have to setup an Ad-Hoc wi-fi connection and I can't seem to get the Ad-Hoc to work for the iPAQ and laptop to talk, not to mention internet access.

Now, finally my question.... Would it be easier (and still work for ActiveSync and Internet acess, MSN Messenger, etc) to use Bluetooth at work, and leave the wi-fi for at home only? Or is there an easy way to configure and SWITCH between Ad-Hoc Wi-fi at work, and "normal" access point connection settings when at home for both the laptop and iPAQ?

What kind of range should i expect from either setup? Will one give me more distance than the other?

If bluetooth is best solution for when at work, any suggestions on adding bluetooth to the laptop?

Thanks.

ppcsurfr
10-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Now, shouldn't the h2210 remember that you are connected to either work or home automatically once set?

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Mark_Venture
10-05-2003, 09:38 PM
Now, shouldn't the h2210 remember that you are connected to either work or home automatically once set?

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo
If I get the Ad-Hoc connection working, I'd hope that the iPAQ would pop up asking which to connect to...

But the laptop on the other hand... Not sure how that works.

In anycase, My ad-hoc connection attempts have failed. (even without WEP, etc) :(