View Full Version : uBook guide?

terrypin
10-04-2003, 05:34 PM
I reckon I'm going to like uBook's versatility - if and when I learn how to use it properly! Anyone know of good documentation please? I find its'Browser' window virtually undecipherable...

Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

eeksock
10-04-2003, 08:52 PM
I love uBook, but you're right about the browser! It took me a couple of days to get used to the interface, but once you do and have customized the fonts and screens to your liking, there's no going back.

Definitely read the documentation, though. But to help you go through it, here are some basic tips that took me a bit of discovering/reading:

There is a line of text at the bottom of the screen (with most skins). These pieces of text act like toolbar buttons!

-?- displays the main menu
<< moves 'back' (like a browser)
>> moves 'forward' (like a browser)
<: moves to the previous chapter
:> moves to the next chapter
-S- (looks like two S's on top of each other) displays the page menu

Tapping on the page numbers moves you forward and back a page. (Of course, you can use the D-pad, jog dial, etc., as well.)

When you go to a "menu" using -?- or -S-, etc, think of it as going to another web page. So to get back to where you were, just hit 'back' (<<).

Links act just like web page links. However, some links in the "Options" web page actually set the setting! If you see more than one setting, the one which is NOT a link is the current setting. To change the setting, click on a link.

For example, under "Fonts" I see something like this:

- Smooth or Sharp Fonts

This means I am currently set to "Smooth". If I click on the "Sharp" link, I change the setting to Sharp.

That should be enough to get started! So click on -?-, "Help", and read the user's guide for the rest!

terrypin
10-05-2003, 03:30 PM
Many thanks, that's excellent - just what I needed.

As mentioned, I found its 'Browser' window virtually impenetrable, which is pretty fundamental as it seems that is the first thing you see. And the Help is not accessible from the PPC's Start>Help route like most apps. So I had to first stumble on the fact that you get at it within uBook itself. Which I don't yet know how to navigate - Catch 22!

BTW, anyone know GowerPoint's email address? I used the address [email protected]
given at web page http://www.gowerpoint.com/Index.html#contacts
but it was returned as undeliverable. Tried guess of [email protected] with same result.

Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Talyn
10-06-2003, 04:11 PM
On the GowerPoint main page, you'll notice the following in large, red text:

Due to the amount of virus email received, I temporarily shutdown the [email protected] email. For emergency please use [email protected] - Sorry.

And I totally, agree: µBook rocks, but that "browser" interface just sucks.

terrypin
10-06-2003, 04:53 PM
On the GowerPoint main page, you'll notice the following in large, red text:

Due to the amount of virus email received, I temporarily shutdown the [email protected] email. For emergency please use [email protected] - Sorry.

And I totally, agree: µBook rocks, but that "browser" interface just sucks.

Thanks. Found that a little later, meant to post a follow-up, sorry.

I'm planning to curl up somewhere for an hour and have another crack at it!

Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003, PI 4.6, PIToday 0.1.0.0913

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Skoobouy
12-01-2003, 09:27 PM
I'll go ahead and revive this thread, since I have an interface related problem. When I first started using "Full Screen," it was _really_ full-screen. However, now, I get either the Task bar, the Menu bar, or both. They're obscuring some words! There doesn't seem to be anything in the menus or help to address this.

Thanks for any help. :)

Theo
12-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Check out the uBook download pages for a user written userguide - it was only recently released.

Beware with the lastest build (f) - something seems have messed with my iPAQ's system fonts. BUt I have been long overdue for a rebuild so it might not be uBook related.

PS - even if it does mess with my system fonts, uBook will be reinstalled !!!