View Full Version : Longtime Palm user looking to leap...how do I convert core Palm apps???

jpodlasek
10-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Hello,

I've been using the Palm since 1997 (on my 4th one), and seriously looking at making the PPC leap. Problem is I have a ton of info in the 4 core Palm apps; Date, Address, To Do and Memo.

How could I completely (and hopefully easily) convert my 700 plus addresses and all the other stuff into the PPC world?

Thanks in advance,
John

easylife
10-04-2003, 12:33 AM
Hopefully you have Chapura PocketMirror. If you don't have Outlook already it comes with every new Pocket PC. PocketMirror will allow you to sync your data to Outlook. First, sync all your data to your Palm. Then install PocketMirror and sync again. This is the easiest and fastest way to get all of your data to Outlook. 8)

If, for some reason, you DON'T have your Palm anymore, you can export all your data to CSV (comma separated values) from Palm Desktop where you can import it into Outlook. This is, however, a huge pain in the neck and I would personally borrow a friend's Palm before I attempted this. :wink:

jpodlasek
10-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Hmmmm, I don't have Chapura PocketMirror (and couldn't find anything online about it during a quick scan). Are there other options, or is this the only one? I'm actually suprised MS doesn't have an app written and easily available for this. I know others looking to make the PPC leap, and having something handy and easily downloadable for the migration of data would really help (along with increase sales).

Steven Cedrone
10-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Hmmmm, I don't have Chapura PocketMirror (and couldn't find anything online about it during a quick scan).

Check on your Palm CD, you should have a copy of it...

Steve

ux4484
10-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Hmmmm, I don't have Chapura PocketMirror (and couldn't find anything online about it during a quick scan).

Check on your Palm CD, you should have a copy of it...

Steve

ditto, most Palms and all Handspring models (i.e. any POS device that said "Outlook syncronization") from the last 4 years included it....if not, it may be a free download with your serial number at the vendor's site.
Note on Pocket mirror: All the data isn't exactly where you might like it to be when migrating to PPC via Palm desktop to Outlook, you'll need to spend some time in Outlook on the PC putting stuff where you want it to show up in pocket outlook. Specifically, the four Palm user defined fields do not migrate into pocket outlook available fields, and it even takes some looking around and tweaking the views in desktop outlook to see where it ended up. Once the deed is done it's a snap......as a matter of fact, once you finish your migration and tweaks, you can drop Palm desktop completely and keep your Palms synced to the same data as your PPC (using Pocket Mirror via Hotsync) just to keep both updated, or if you give your Palm to your spouse, kid etc (or for just another backup).

Happy switching!