View Full Version : SD Card went blank after running SPB Pocket Plus

mesposito2
10-03-2003, 11:00 PM
On my HP 2215 this morning, I got a notice from SPB Pocket Plus that the SD card was corrupted. I reran the backup and it reported that it worked fine. A few minutes later I noticed that my SD card was blank. :(

I put the SD card into a reader on the PC side just to be sure. It also showed it to be blank.

Has anyone ever seen this?

Thanks,

Mark Esposito

Janak Parekh
10-04-2003, 03:31 AM
I doubt it has anything to do with Pocket Plus -- it just reports the space, so it was likely showing a symptom, not the cause, of the problem.

Now, as to the cause -- is it a Sandisk SD card? A lot of consumers have had issues with Sandisk SD cards randomly corrupting. There are also enough consumers that haven't had any trouble, so it's difficult to reach a conclusion on what's exactly causing this problem.

--janak

mesposito2
10-04-2003, 05:04 AM
I agree that it probably has nothing to do with Pocket Plus, and Yes it is a Sandisk SD card. I hadn't heard about the problems.

Thanks,

Mark

I doubt it has anything to do with Pocket Plus -- it just reports the space, so it was likely showing a symptom, not the cause, of the problem.

Now, as to the cause -- is it a Sandisk SD card? A lot of consumers have had issues with Sandisk SD cards randomly corrupting. There are also enough consumers that haven't had any trouble, so it's difficult to reach a conclusion on what's exactly causing this problem.

--janak

KiLLiN-TiMe
10-04-2003, 12:07 PM
On my HP 2215 this morning, I got a notice from SPB Pocket Plus that the SD card was corrupted. I reran the backup and it reported that it worked fine. A few minutes later I noticed that my SD card was blank. :(

I put the SD card into a reader on the PC side just to be sure. It also showed it to be blank.

Has anyone ever seen this?

Thanks,

Mark Esposito

This may sound silly but.... on your today screen you should have a bar in Pocket Plus that shows how much space you have avaible on you storage card. If you tap and hold that bar a drop down menu will appear so that you can choose which storage device it is reporting. Is it showing your SD card, or something else?
A friend of mine got confused on this and thought he had wiped out his SD card when it was actually showing that his free space on his rom was empty, not his storage card.

Janak Parekh
10-04-2003, 06:24 PM
This may sound silly but.... on your today screen you should have a bar in Pocket Plus that shows how much space you have avaible on you storage card. If you tap and hold that bar a drop down menu will appear so that you can choose which storage device it is reporting. Is it showing your SD card, or something else?
That's not it -- note that he tried the card in a desktop reader and it appeared blank there.

--janak

Janak Parekh
10-04-2003, 06:27 PM
I agree that it probably has nothing to do with Pocket Plus, and Yes it is a Sandisk SD card. I hadn't heard about the problems.
Do a search on "Sandisk" on this forum. Here's a couple of posts...

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16942
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11743
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9042

From what I hear, most people don't have trouble, but a troublingly large minority do.

--janak

KiLLiN-TiMe
10-04-2003, 09:49 PM
That's not it -- note that he tried the card in a desktop reader and it appeared blank there.

--janak
I have had alot of problems with different desktop readers. expecially with windows 2000 and XP, But no problem, stranger things have happened.

KiLLiN-TiMe
10-04-2003, 09:53 PM
... and Yes it is a Sandisk SD card. I hadn't heard about the problems.

Thanks,

Mark

This is probably the issue. I had a Sandisk SD card that was bad, but it was bad the first time I tried to use it.

mesposito2
10-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and help on this subject. I used to moderate the Psion forum on Compuserve some years ago now. I haven't seen a forum as helpful and upstanding as this one since those days.

Mark Esposito

Janak Parekh
10-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and help on this subject. I used to moderate the Psion forum on Compuserve some years ago now. I haven't seen a forum as helpful and upstanding as this one since those days.
Whoa. I haven't touched CompuServe in at least 6 years (never used AOL's messed-up CompuServe 2000, just the original). 8O Thanks for the compliment, and good luck. :)

--janak