View Full Version : Technology Saves Donut Day (and my butt)

CTSLICK
10-03-2003, 03:14 PM
OK, Friday is Donut Day at the office and there are two rules.

Rule 1: If you eat donuts on Friday you must be on the schedule to bring donuts. If you violate this rule the Donut Goddess will find you and it won't be pretty. Trust me on this one.

Rule 2: Do not, under any circumstances, forget to bring donuts on your scheduled day...EVER. Should you forget you will be greeted by an angry pack of donut zombies at the office who will send you right back out the door telling you to return with donuts or don't return at all...EVER.

So today is Friday and I arrive calmly at work and shut the car off only to hear my Axim trying to get my attention from my briefcase (side note: maybe turning Metallica "And Justice For All" up to eleven on the way to work isn't such a good idea). Instantly I know what the Alarm Note is...my God...its Donut Day...MY Donut Day. Panic. I usually buy donuts near my home, 30 minutes away, and I have no idea where the nearest donut shop to my office is. AAAAAGGGHHH! The donut zombies will kill me!

Enter technology to save the day.

Turn on the Axim, open PIE which pops open Dave Beauvais's most excellent start page. Click on the Info side bar, then Yellow Pages. My Axim dutifully reaches out to my T68 via the Bluetooth CF card and connects to T-Mobile which thankfully is both available and providing some reasonable bandwidth. Seach InfoSpace Yellow Pages for "donuts" in the town where my office resides...BINGO! Only 3 miles away, no problem. Panic changes to calm.

I love technology...and donuts RULE!

Pat Logsdon
10-03-2003, 04:05 PM
Ha! Donut Zombies! "Ngggrraaaahhhhrrr - need sprinkles on braaaaainssss". :mrgreen:

Cool story - glad to hear that you survived! Now, if you'd had a bluetooth GPS, you could have mapped out the shortest route to the donut shop...

JackTheTripper
10-03-2003, 05:31 PM
Watch out or you may turn into this guy! (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17832)

:lol:

CTSLICK
10-03-2003, 08:35 PM
To expand on the donut topic...

I have two theories:

(1) If you walk up to box of donuts and find a half donut sitting there you can be 99.99% sure that a woman has been there. I have never met a guy that takes half a donut.

(2) If you gather 10 guys in a room with a box of donuts you can be 99.99% sure that one of them will do a Homer Simpson "mmmmm donuts" impression.

Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.

CTSLICK
10-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Ha! Donut Zombies! "Ngggrraaaahhhhrrr - need sprinkles on braaaaainssss". :mrgreen:

LOL! Perhaps funnier was the guy that walked up to the donut box this morning and did his best Gollum "my precccciiioouuusss". Hmmmm...on second thought maybe thats just scary :wink:

easylife
10-03-2003, 08:42 PM
..which pops open Dave Beauvais's most excellent start page...
Has he posted this yet? :D If so, where? I was one of the ones VERY interested in getting it for my PPC! 8)

CTSLICK
10-03-2003, 09:04 PM
..which pops open Dave Beauvais's most excellent start page...
Has he posted this yet? :D If so, where? I was one of the ones VERY interested in getting it for my PPC! 8)

Yes he has and heeerrrreee ya' go (http://www.beauvais1.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=2)

Dave Beauvais
10-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Yep! It went live early Sunday morning. I'm in the process of converting content of my site to the new format, so things are a bit of a mess right now. You read about it here (http://www.beauvais1.com/archives/2004/04/10/pocket-internet-explorer-start-page/). Be sure to check out page three (http://www.beauvais1.com/archives/2004/04/10/pocket-internet-explorer-start-page/3/) which shows a gallery of the themes included.

Edit: D'oh! Ya beat me to it! ;)

--Dave

easylife
10-03-2003, 09:15 PM
Thanks a lot Dave! 8) And thanks to CTSLICK for the link! :D

CTSLICK
10-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Edit: D'oh! Ya beat me to it! ;)

--Dave

Yeah but your post was much better :wink:

And let me thank you for providing the start page, it really is very nice (Not to mention that it played a part in saving Donut Day). The blue fade theme looks great on my Axim. I am going to try my hand at customizing this weekend by adding some links.

easylife
10-03-2003, 09:28 PM
Dave! This start page is amazing! :D You could sell this for money, and people would pay for it! 8) Of course, I had to wait until I downloaded it to say this. :wink: Great work Dave! I wonder if we could have some sort of skinning contest...? :twisted:

Mitch D
10-03-2003, 10:07 PM
To expand on the donut topic...

(2) If you gather 10 guys in a room with a box of donuts you can be 99.99% sure that one of them will do a Homer Simpson "mmmmm donuts" impression.

Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.

I must confess I have been guilty of doing the Homer impression, but then again I think there is a 99.99% chance that I am not alone in this!

:rofl:

Dave Beauvais
10-04-2003, 04:31 AM
Dave! This start page is amazing! :D You could sell this for money, and people would pay for it! 8) Of course, I had to wait until I downloaded it to say this. :wink: Great work Dave! I wonder if we could have some sort of skinning contest...? :twisted:
Thank you very much for the kind comments! (There is a PayPal donation link at the end of the gallery page (http://www.beauvais1.com/archives/2004/04/10/pocket-internet-explorer-start-page/3/), by the way... :) ) A skinning "contest" would be really cool, but I can't afford to give away prizes! :lol: I'd really love to see what people can come up with. The only things you need are a CSS file, background image, and bullets. Just drop those in place, and the overall appearance of the page changes. There's a separate download section on my site for that PIE Start Page, so anyone who submits a "skin" could add it there as a kind of central resource.

Could we please move conversation about this over to the thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18169) specifically about it? It makes it much easier to keep track of things that way. ;) I haven't decided if I'm going to turn the forums back on at my site. I probably will, but I want to get all the content moved over to the new system, first.

--Dave