View Full Version : Screen Protectors Recommendation?

coredump
10-03-2003, 07:43 AM
Hi all. I was wondering if you guys could recommend a good screen protector, particularly for a iPaq 2215? Awhile ago, I used to use the Fellowes protectors on my Visor Edge. The Fellowes stuff was pretty bad in picture quality and clarity. I appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

jgahr
10-03-2003, 12:49 PM
I've been using WriteShields from PPC Techs for a couple of years. They are real expensive for 3 of them, but the one that is one my 2215 is going on 4 months with no need to change it. I figure I will change it out in another 4-5 months, so it will give me real good use time.
:mrgreen:

PetiteFlower
10-03-2003, 01:19 PM
Writeshields.

seidler
10-03-2003, 01:45 PM
Hmm did I make a mistake just yesterday? :oops:

I read Protect Your Screen (http://www.brighthand.com/article/Protect_Your_Screen) and decided to go for the BoxWave ClearTouch (http://www.boxwave.com/products/cleartouch/index.htm). Mostly, because they didn't (like PPCTechs with WriteShield) want to charge me 1.5 times of the price of the product for shipping to Europe 8O

I really got a bit angry with the Brando Screen Protector (http://shop.brando.com.hk/screenprotector.php). Yesterday I took it off my screen.
:jawdrop:
I didn't know my screen was so good!! The image is almost too clear now (I can see the subpixels :?). And now I know: Yes, "e" is the most used letter in the English language, and so is the right space key on my Fitaly.

I have my E-200 about ... 6 months now (just surprised myself when counting the time) and the Brando was really too used now.
I don't know if it is the way I type (I type very fast, and so I can't always care about the force with that I hit the screen) or just normal. (Now that I counted the months, I am actually not so schocked anymore :))

How about other people? Do you see just "usage" marks on your screen protectors. Or on your screens???

Stefan

prismejon
10-03-2003, 03:08 PM
I'm very happy with my Brando screen protector. I think the picture quality is almost the same as without, just with no glare.. My screen protector has been on since May an has only recently gotten a little scratch.

GoldKey
10-03-2003, 03:12 PM
I've been really happy with my homemade ones.

Go to the fabric dept at walmart and have them cut you a piece of clear vinyl. It is like $1 a yard or something insanely cheap. Cut out a piece to fit your screen, lay it on and smooth with a credit card. Looks better and reduces the brightness a lot less than some of the commercial protectors I have seen.

jgahr
10-03-2003, 03:57 PM
Goldkey - how does it stay on the screen. It doesn't build static?

GoldKey
10-03-2003, 04:16 PM
Goldkey - how does it stay on the screen. It doesn't build static?

Vinyl is a little tacky by itself and that is enough to hold it on. Like Saran wrap on a bowl.

seidler
10-03-2003, 04:21 PM
Looks better and reduces the brightness a lot less than some of the commercial protectors I have seen.
How about anti-glare? That's one of the main reasons why I want a SP...

Stefan

Possum48
10-03-2003, 04:29 PM
WriteShields without a doubt are the best! Expensive and a bit tedious to apply (if you want a dust free screen) but well worth the money. And believe it or not you can remove them, clean the screen and reapply them.

I've had mine on my e330 since January 5 and it is showing no signs of wear and tear yet and I use it quite a bit every day.

seidler
10-03-2003, 04:31 PM
And believe it or not you can remove them, clean the screen and reapply them.
And why would you want to do so? Just curious...

Stefan

PetiteFlower
10-03-2003, 05:11 PM
If there was dust underneath it. Though I found the "apply in a steamy bathroom" advice to work very well for avoiding dust.

Writeshields are great for glare, I agree.

GoldKey
10-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Looks better and reduces the brightness a lot less than some of the commercial protectors I have seen.
How about anti-glare? That's one of the main reasons why I want a SP...

Stefan

No they are not anti-glare, probably why they don't reduce the brightness. Glare is not usually a problem for me anyway, and for pennies apiece, can't complain.

DimensionZero
10-03-2003, 11:58 PM
I actually ended up going for the BoxWave ClearTouch myself...

Not entirely sure what I think about it. Does the job I suppose, there's a *little* bit of wear already in the area where I use the letter recognition... But I mean REALLY little wear.

I was a little excited when I got the SP in the mail so I rushed and put it on in my room... Bad idea. I've got a few dusties under the protector now and it's kinda annoying seeing them there... But I don't know what to use to take it off now.. Don't wanna end up scratching the screen...

Oh yeah, to get back on topic..

Personally I don't mind the anti-glare on it, it's a little cloudy but I use it outside a bunch so the anti-glare is really helpful here. The surface feels pretty nice.. But I've never tried any other here so I can't really say much else.

Jerry Raia
10-04-2003, 04:07 AM
Can one find WriteShields in a store? I dont think Ive ever seen them.

jgahr
10-04-2003, 04:17 AM
I haven't seen them in any brick & mortars, just online.

naraku
10-04-2003, 08:32 PM
does anyone know which screen protector brand de-ionizes dust so that it repels it? i was on a train some time back and this guy was telling me about them, but i forgot the brand name.

also, so how good (glare/clairity/protection) is the clear vinyl sheets from walmart? thanks

coredump
10-05-2003, 06:31 AM
Cool, thanks for all the input. I'm eyeing the Boxwave at the moment. WriteSHIELDs is another option but it seems that the clarity of it is lower than the Boxwaves. Hm.

ctmagnus
10-06-2003, 07:39 AM
I can actually pick out the individual pixels through my WriteShield.

I had Writeshields on my iPaq 3670 and wasn't too pleased with how they looked, but they look awesome on my 5550.

Kati Compton
10-06-2003, 08:25 AM
I'm happy with my WriteShield.

Bruno Figueiredo
10-06-2003, 11:48 AM
Are you stabbing your screen with the stylus to need a screen protector? Or you just keep your PPCs on your pants with the keys?

I use my PPC to write about an hour a day and otherwise keep in its pouch. I only have the attention to rub the tip of the stylus on my finger to keep away dust rocks before I write.

Otherwise my screen looks great, not a scratch.

I tried WrightRights but they were all bubbly and I could see the glue. My screen went unreadable. Damn those $20 i threw out the window when i bought them.

PetiteFlower
10-06-2003, 06:44 PM
I have a very heavy hand when I write. There were a couple of scratches on my screen already when I started using the writeshields. They give me peace of mind too that I don't have to be so careful with it. And I can use my finger on it without the screen getting smudged!

DimensionZero
10-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Yeah, it's just knowing that if for some reason the screen gets scratched, I can always get the protector replaced. Plus, I find that it feels nicer to write on with the protector on with its paper-ish texture to it.