View Full Version : Palm/PPC Flame War Or Something Like That

Scott R
10-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Your honor, I'd like to submit as evidence, exhibit 1A:

JakeE's design for a futuristic Treo. See here:
http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/262-4.htm

Now, most of us would consider his ideas outlandish. But one day his ideas, from a technical standpoint, will be easily possible at an economical price-point. Does it mean I'm wrong to dismiss his ideas in the year 2003?

Scott

jake
10-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Your honor, I'd like to submit as evidence, exhibit 1A:

JakeE's design for a futuristic Treo. See here:
http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/262-4.htm

Now, most of us would consider his ideas outlandish. But one day his ideas, from a technical standpoint, will be easily possible at an economical price-point. Does it mean I'm wrong to dismiss his ideas in the year 2003?

Scott

The new Palm T3 has THREE times the resolution of any PPC???

I am glad to see so many PPC users waking up to the reality that PPC was doomed from its inception.

I went to the Handspring launch party in San Francisco yesterday and all I can say is that once they add a 320x320 and or a 320x480 screen to the Treo line the game will be completely over for M$.

Bottom line is M$ is getting smoked badly!!!

I have been predicting this moment for years and Jason Dunn would always try to discount what I was saying. Jason, I think you should think about PalmThoughts.com

Scott: thanks for the Props. I rest my case your honor.

CASE Closed. (No Pun Intended)

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18247&highlight=jake

http://www.jakeehrlich.com/Treo600.jpg[/img]

Scott R
10-02-2003, 02:45 PM
Your honor, in light of these recent developments, the prosecution would like to withdraw all charges on the basis of the defendant being mentally insane. ;)

Scott

PJE
10-02-2003, 02:46 PM

WRONG: The T3 has TWO times the NUMBER OF PIXELS - 320x480 vs 240x320! I don't know how you get three times the resolution...

I am glad to see so many PPC users waking up to the reality that PPC was doomed from its inception.

Very odd statement. Given the choice between a PocketPC or Palm with the same high resolution, give me the PocketPC any day - this may change with OS6, but at the moment I prefer PocketPC.

I went to the Handspring launch party in San Francisco yesterday and all I can say is that once they add a 320x320 and or a 320x480 screen to the Treo line the game will be completely over for M$.

Bottom line is M$ is getting smoked badly!!!

Jake, I feel the euphoria (was some form of gas used?) from the launch has clouded your views. I doubt Handspring will have a 320x480 device any time soon as their focus is on mobile communications where a battery life of more than two to three hours is normally required...

Having said that I hope the T3 will be a wake up call to the PocketPC camp, making them bring out higher resolution screens (It looks like Toshiba has already stepped up with a 640x480 resolution device). But what we need is proper support for high res and landscape orientation in the operating system.

Jason Dunn
10-02-2003, 06:12 PM
Jake, you're a troll. The ONLY time you post on this site is when you can drag your beloved Treo out and prance around about it, or brag about your oddball PDA interface. I've endured your lame posts for long enough - I'm just tired of it now. I've just given you a new rank in the forums because it more adequetely describes your tactics. If you want to keep popping your head up in this forum, people will see you for what you are.

No, it has double the number of pixels, and hence, double the overall resolution. Your math skills are about equal to your GUI designs skills it seems. :?

...all I can say is that once they add a 320x320 and or a 320x480 screen to the Treo line the game will be completely over for M$.

Look, most people here who are power users want a higher resolution for the PPC, myself included, but do you think the vast majority of the market cares, or even understands, the resolution issue? And you really think that Microsoft will say "Gosh, we don't have the highest resolution device - let's exit this market". I want to see Pocket PCs with VGA resolution as much as anyone else, but to say that screen resolution will define the entire market is simply stupid.

Jason, I think you should think about PalmThoughts.com

And I think you should think about increasing your dosage of Prozac.

lapchinj
10-02-2003, 08:14 PM
Jake, you're a troll…

COOL! 8) This is the stuff that makes this forum the greatest. :D

A Troll true to form and in all his glory. It is fun to watch him ruffle feathers but it does give us something to focus on. :2gunfire: With the self centered Microsoft world it still is a great platform to develop for. We have great products etc but I think that the T3 should get Microsoft moving again since they’ve been sitting on their laurels too long without any innovation. :sleeping:

Jeff -

jnunn
10-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Jake: nya-nya nya-nya-nya Palm rules! PPC sucks!
Jason: Jake, thou hast pissed me enough! Thy shall make thee into a TROLL.

{poof! Jake is a troll}

And once again all was right and good in PocketPCThoughts Land. And they lived happily ever after.

What fun! This site is awesome.

jake
10-03-2003, 02:04 AM
Jake, you're a troll. The ONLY time you post on this site is when you can drag your beloved Treo out and prance around about it, or brag about your oddball PDA interface. I've endured your lame posts for long enough - I'm just tired of it now. I've just given you a new rank in the forums because it more adequetely describes your tactics. If you want to keep popping your head up in this forum, people will see you for what you are.

No, it has double the number of pixels, and hence, double the overall resolution. Your math skills are about equal to your GUI designs skills it seems. :?

...all I can say is that once they add a 320x320 and or a 320x480 screen to the Treo line the game will be completely over for M$.

Look, most people here who are power users want a higher resolution for the PPC, myself included, but do you think the vast majority of the market cares, or even understands, the resolution issue? And you really think that Microsoft will say "Gosh, we don't have the highest resolution device - let's exit this market". I want to see Pocket PCs with VGA resolution as much as anyone else, but to say that screen resolution will define the entire market is simply stupid.

Well Jason that was a professional response!!! Basically you are saying, “If I can’t win I am going to take my ball and split.” That is a mature way to handle the situation. Simply call me a bad name “Troll.” I’ve got news for you pal, I am anything but a troll. I am simply a man who is interested in the pursuit of excellence.

My PPC experience with M$ was terrible. My iPaq PPC was the most half-baked product I have ever owned. Basically I paid Compaq and MS to be a guinea pig and I don’t feel comfortable with the fact that MS let a half-baked product out the door. Shame on Microsoft.

Since I switched to the Handspring Treo a year and a half ago it has been nothing but smooth sailing.

Jason, the bottom line is that the PPC is dying on the vine. MS made a terrible mistake when they decided to split up the handheld category into Smart phones and PPCs. Look no further than this thread to see the mass exodus that is starting to take place. Businees Week and the Wall Street Journal agree:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18247&highlight=jake

And Jason, I dare you to take a look at the new Treo 600 when it becomes available in Canada in the next couple of weeks. The Treo 600 is light years ahead of anything MS has. For whatever it is worth I am willing to risk my reputation on my declarative statement above.

The Treo 600 achieves the perfect marriage between PDA and Smart phone. The writing is on the wall and there are red flags all over the place. With this photo of the Treo 600 make a mental note. You are looking at the future of handheld computing. With the Treo 600 form flawlessly follows function.

http://www.jakeehrlich.com/Treo600.jpg

On the issue of three times the resolution I stand corrected. I saw a video segment on CNET where they said it had three times the resolution. I did not do the math and assumed his numbers were correct. They were wrong.

Jason, you said “Your math skills are about equal to your GUI designs skills it seems.” That sound like a personal attack to me. The supreme irony with regard to my GUI skills is that you probably only glanced at my GUI work product and dismissed it without genuinely seeking to understand it. Microsoft in their infinite wisdom did the same thing. I guarantee if MS had listened to me that PPC would be light years ahead of where it is today. In the final analysis, power is useless without control, but now MS does not even have the power.

Also recall Jason how you first met me??? Dale Coffing asked me years ago to call you to help you redesign the UI for PPCThoughts.com. I offered to do so for free. Nothing except one man trying in good faith to help a stranger. I had not even seen your site and I was just trying to help you because I saw the potential for the PPC. I helped Dale Coffing and I was the one who came up with the name PPCPassion.com for Dale.

Jason, HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A TROLL!!! SHAME ON YOU!!! You should know better???

Jake

Kati Compton
10-03-2003, 03:35 AM
Enough enough enough!

HOFS it is.