View Full Version : PCMCIA network cards in PC Card adapter?

Paul Martin
10-02-2003, 07:06 PM
I have a PC card adapter, but have not used it because I am unsure what will work with my Jornada 568. I have visited the CEWindows site, but most of the info seems to be focused on the CE 2.0 devices for the ethernet pages. How can I tell what will work with PPC 2002? Thanks!

Paul

Wyzard
10-03-2003, 12:36 AM
Good day,

I've come across a nice page that lists all compatible WI-FI Cards for the Pocket PC OS:

http://www.cewindows.net/peripherals/pccardwirelesslan.htm

I used this link to buy my very own Network card. I've got a Jornada 565 with a PC Card Adpater as well, and bought the Microsoft MN-520 PC Card. I downloaded the Compaq WL-100 driver with WEP Support and it works great! Never had a problem with it! It also looks sharp; has a couple of green LEDs and the color also matches the Sled's Dark Grey Color.

As for finding a specific site that lists ONLY Cards compatible with PPC 2002, I can't tell ya. I haven't seen one.

Paul Martin
10-03-2003, 02:39 AM
Thanks, Wyzard. I have visited Chris De Herrera's great site and these pages. I guess it just seemed like a lot of the content was focused on CE 2 instead of PPC 2002. But, perhaps I need to re-read them carefully. Thanks!

Paul

Wyzard
10-03-2003, 03:54 AM
Hi Paul,

Yeah, you're right on that one about 2.x being quite popular. I did spot some that are 3.0 (Pocket PC 2002). There are also some that don't mention any OS in particular (Including the Microsoft one), which I would deduce, that they should work with ALL Pocket PC OS's.
Also, a very interesting note, is that the page was last updated on September 21st, 2003! This would almost show that perhaps there ARE only a limited number of PCMCIA Cards out there that are actually compatible with Pocket PCs (Or at least have the necessary drivers).

Keep me posted if you do find a better list.
Cheers,

Claude

ctmagnus
10-03-2003, 04:23 AM
The thing to watch out for is 32 bit or Cardbus (they're the same thing for all intents and purposes in this case) PC cards, as they will not function with Windows CE which, as you all know, Pocket PC is based on. 16-bit PC cards should function as long as they have the correct drivers.

Sven Johannsen
10-03-2003, 05:10 AM
If you are going to bother with a PC card in a Jornada, you might as well get on of the best. The Orinoco Gold works just fine in mine and is supported by mini-stumbler (in case you are looking for a survey app)

ctmagnus
10-03-2003, 05:57 AM
If you are going to bother with a PC card in a Jornada, you might as well get on of the best. The Orinoco Gold works just fine in mine and is supported by mini-stumbler (in case you are looking for a survey app)

But apparently not all Orinoco Golds work with MiniStumbler, especially the newer (post-aquisition by Proxim) models.

Paul Martin
10-03-2003, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. ctmagnus...any way to tell which Gold card is good or may not work for the Jornada?

ctmagnus
10-03-2003, 10:01 PM
afaik, they all should work. But the ORiNOCO Classic Gold PC Card listed here (http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client/) is the one regerred to by Sven. The newer (Proxim) models apparently have different chipsets from what Sven and I have.

Paul Martin
10-03-2003, 10:05 PM
Thanks!

p

Sven Johannsen
10-04-2003, 02:01 AM
afaik, they all should work. But the ORiNOCO Classic Gold PC Card listed here (http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client/) is the one regerred to by Sven. The newer (Proxim) models apparently have different chipsets from what Sven and I have.

Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't aware that had happened and I'd hate to have someone go get one and find it doesn't work the same.