View Full Version : Which iPAQ should I buy or do I wait?

Constant Caffeine
10-02-2003, 05:07 PM
Does anyone know when HP will release the next iPaq? I’m replacing my HP Joranda 420 and I really like the iPaq h5555. I also like the expansion slots the h2215 has. If the h5555 had a CF slot, I would buy it right now. I really don’t want to buy an expansion pack if they are releasing a new one soon.

Has anyone seen any issues with the h5555 or h5550, is there a difference other than 5?

Thanks in advance.

Anthony Caruana
10-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Does anyone know when HP will release the next iPaq? I’m replacing my HP Joranda 420 and I really like the iPaq h5555. I also like the expansion slots the h2215 has. If the h5555 had a CF slot, I would buy it right now. I really don’t want to buy an expansion pack if they are releasing a new one soon.

I went through the same sort of decison as you (as did a colleague of mine). I went for the 2215 because of the dual expansion slots and the size. The 5550 is a significanlty larger device (the screen it larger than the 2215) and lacks the dual slots. However, it has built in WiFi (which the 2215 does not). My colleague bought the 5550 as it had the built in WiFi which sort of negates the need for dual slots depending on your use.

Has anyone seen any issues with the h5555 or h5550, is there a difference other than 5?Thanks in advance.

These are the same device. One model number os for retail distribution and the other is for stock distributed by HP direct (pretty sure that's the main difference - there may also be diffrent packaging but the devices are the same)

Some people have reported issues with the WiFi implementation. However, HPO has released a patch for the WiFi (a search of this site or the HP support site should find that patch or a link to it)

At the end of it, for me the decision was based on price and device size. I could get the 2215 and a CF WiFi card for significanlty less than the cost of the 5550. Also, having an inbuit CF was handy for me as my digital camera uses CF. Also, the samller size of teh 2215 makes it more pocketable than the larger 5550.