View Full Version : what about bluetooth, though?

slomoman
10-02-2003, 04:56 PM
so it seems to be possible with WiFi.
What about bluetooth.
My plan was to create a virtual serial port via bluetooth and do the active sync over that virtual port.
but i simply can't get it done.
I have a HP iPAQ5450 and an IBM t30 laptop....

Anthony Caruana
10-02-2003, 05:32 PM
My plan was to create a virtual serial port via bluetooth and do the active sync over that virtual port.
but i simply can't get it done. I have a HP iPAQ5450 and an IBM t30 laptop....

In theory, this is possible. However, like you I have had difficulty with this. I have two BT setups; one at home and one at work. Both are BT USB dongles (different brands). My work one works reliable and was easy to set up. The one at home is a disaster and I am going to return the BT dongle to the place I bought it.

It boils down to the BT implementation dirvers and supporting software. My experiance is that the Widcomm software (my work setup) is good and the XTND Systems Blueb Manager (home) is a dog.

JvanEkris
10-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Ipaq's BT-implementation has become so dominant, that most other drivers are modified to work with them. This is not a guarantee though, so you better buy in shops that have "8 days return, no questions asked" policy :).

Jaap

belfast-biker
10-21-2003, 04:55 PM
"It boils down to the BT implementation dirvers and supporting software. My experiance is that the Widcomm software (my work setup) is good and the XTND Systems Blueb Manager (home) is a dog."

That'll be why I'm pulling my hair out getting my t68i to sync with my outlook.

Wish I'd known about the widcomm vs. xtdn thing before purchase... I can sync using xtdn sw and infra red, I can send and receive cards using BT, but can I sync outlook with my phone? Can I hell.

I've a Ipaq 1940 on the way, and I'd like to be able to browse my PC, surf the web, use IM and sync, from upstairs. Also, I'd like to be able to use my SMS software from the handheld, via my phone using BT, and if possible, use IM and web browse on that too.

If I can't, I'll be junking the Wave Linker USB dongle I've got.

It annoys me that this isn't easier.