View Full Version : Developing PPC2K3 .NET applications requires....

lanwarrior
10-02-2003, 07:47 AM
Hello all,

I am learning to develop PPC2K3 application using VB.NET, taking advantage of the .NET CF that is pre-installed in every WM2003.

However, I saw in MS site that there is an SDK for WM2003. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9996B314-0364-4623-9EDE-0B5FBB133652&displaylang=en)

What is this for?? I thought I can use VB.NET to develop .NET application for WM2003 devices by choosing "Smart Device Application" for Visual Basic Project.

Is the SDK for WM2003 REQUIRED to develop .NET application for WM2003 devices?

Mike Temporale
10-02-2003, 01:02 PM
When you select "Smart Device Application" what devices are listed? If I remember correctly it's just CE stuff, and PPC 2002. VB.NET was released before PPC 2003.

The SDK will install the emulator, more options for the type of Smart Device application, (ie: PPC 2003 devices) and provide documentation.

I recommend installing it.

lanwarrior
10-02-2003, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the information, BlueRocket. I will install the SDK and give it a shoot!

JonnoB
10-02-2003, 11:34 PM
For the most part, MS is pushing .Net rapid development into the C# arena and is focused less on VB it seems. May be a good opportunity to try new things!

lanwarrior
10-03-2003, 12:40 AM
Hi Jonno!

What makes you think that way? I am just wondering, since even though MS has been marketing C# and J++ heavily, I think C++ and VB are still the development language of choice.

I am trying to learn C# though, but just can't keep up with all the programming language out there.. PERL, C++, J++, Java, etc..etc.. :mrgreen:

JonnoB
10-03-2003, 05:41 AM
C++ is still the language of choice for unmanaged development. C# seems to be the preferred choice for managed code.

What makes me think that way is because of several things I have been experiencing. At each developer session I went to at the last TechEd, mobile device development was focusing 90%+ on C# running against the compact framework. I saw absolutely no examples of VB. In fact, I don't think the vb run-times are even included in the 2003 OS wheras the .Net CF is with C# running natively with the included CLR.

prismejon
10-03-2003, 06:57 AM
In fact, I don't think the vb run-times are even included in the 2003 OS wheras the .Net CF is with C# running natively with the included CLR.

One of the major selling points of .NET is that you can program in any .NET language, be it VB.NET, C++.NET, C#.NET etc. The compiler will compile the code to Microsoft Intermediate Language (MSIL), which will be the same if your VB.NET and C#.NET are equivalent. MSIL is also independent of the target platform, just like compiled java code.

Concerning the topic; you don't need any more than VS.NET with support for the Compact Framework to create PocketPC apps. I'm not sure what the SDK for WM2003 does, but I think it's needed for programming i Embedded Visual C++.

lanwarrior
10-03-2003, 09:30 PM
Concerning the topic; you don't need any more than VS.NET with support for the Compact Framework to create PocketPC apps. I'm not sure what the SDK for WM2003 does, but I think it's needed for programming i Embedded Visual C++.

Prismejon,

This is what I thought to, until I see the following from the download page:

Overview
This version of the Pocket PC 2003 SDK allows you to create Pocket PC 2003 applications using eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 (with Service Pack 2), and applications written in C# or Visual Basic .NET using Visual Studio .NET 2003.

This is what puzzles me. I will probably just try to create sample PPC2003 applications with and without the SDK just for comparison purposes.