View Full Version : Rumors About The iPAQ 6000

Janak Parekh
10-01-2003, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/cms3/templates/PPC-NEWS.ASP?articleid=641&zoneid=1' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/cms3/...id=641&zoneid=1</a><br /><br /></div>It certainly seems as if HP is the "Sony" of Pocket PCs in the frequency of their new releases. Hot on the recent 4xxx iPAQ news, Pocket PC Italia is now suggesting that HP may be working on an iPAQ 6000. The <a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pocketpcitalia.com%2Fcms3%2Ftemplates%2FPPC-NEWS.ASP%3Farticleid%3D641%26zoneid%3D1&langpair=it%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools">Google translation</a> suggests that this will be a device with quadband (e.g., 800/900/1800/1900MHz) GSM/GPRS, WiFi, Bluetooth, a 1850mAh battery, and will be roughly the size of the 2215 (but will only have an SD slot). Apparently, it's also supposed to have an integrated VGA camera.<br /><br />No pictures, but whoa. 8O I hope it's true, because I want one! :mrgreen:

Eos
10-01-2003, 07:11 PM
Can't say no more...but less the VGA screen, this has more "substance" in it than a casual rumor...check your sources..

Janak Parekh
10-01-2003, 07:14 PM
Can't say no more...but less the VGA screen, this has more "substance" in it than a casual rumor...check your sources..
Well, until it's officially announced, it's a rumor, isn't it? ;)

Re the VGA screen: I've read on other threads it's supposed to mean "VGA camera", and I've updated my post.

--janak

Birdman
10-01-2003, 07:17 PM
If it is a GSM/GPRS device then presumably it would run on PPCPE OS. Correct? (or not necessarily?).

If so, does that mean that by its very nature, this unit is "unlocked" and could be used with a SIM from any GSM/GPRS provider?

Anytime I would read about Dell or HP possibly coming to market with a GSM/GPRS device, this is my first question. I am so used to the cel phone carriers being the only parties that sell "phone" type devices, (and that generally lock these devices to the carrier) it would be fantastic if other manuf. started bringing devices to market which are unlocked and can be used with SIMs from a variety of providers.

Eos
10-01-2003, 07:17 PM
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Janak, now this sounds more like it..

a.morreale
10-01-2003, 07:18 PM
The blurb on PocketPC Italia mentions an "integrated VGA Camera"...

It doesn't provide any hint on screen resolution.

don dre
10-01-2003, 07:21 PM
I want that battery (current 2215 owner.)

ricksfiona
10-01-2003, 07:21 PM
If it has 128MB of RAM, that device would rock. Otherwise I'll have to go with the 5555. 128MB would make all the difference to me!

Philip Colmer
10-01-2003, 07:27 PM
If it is a GSM/GPRS device then presumably it would run on PPCPE OS. Correct? (or not necessarily?).

If so, does that mean that by its very nature, this unit is "unlocked" and could be used with a SIM from any GSM/GPRS provider?

Unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be unlocked. The xda devices sold by mm02 in the UK are Pocket PCs with GSM hardware but they are most definitely SIM-locked.

(Although it is possible to unlock it afterwards if you know where to find the tools ...)

--Philip

xendula
10-01-2003, 07:31 PM

Unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be unlocked. The xda devices sold by mm02 in the UK are Pocket PCs with GSM hardware but they are most definitely SIM-locked.

(Although it is possible to unlock it afterwards if you know where to find the tools ...)

--Philip

Locked here in Germany,too, unless you buy those on Ebay unlocked or pay an "unlocking" fee.

:?: But where in the world do they use GSM 800 ???!!??!?!?!?!?!

Janak Parekh
10-01-2003, 07:42 PM
The US is starting to use 800MHz as a GSM band in addition to 1900MHz.

--janak

manywhere
10-01-2003, 07:48 PM
Sheesh, this #*%§ flu is really getting to me! Now I'm beginning to read rumors of HP releasing an iPaq PPC phone... :lol:

I'm hoping that HP will bring it to Finland too! :bangin:
Noone's sold the XDA (1 nor 2) here, however, the HP 6000 will do just nice for me! (*whispering* Hey, HP, need a tester? Let me know... I've gotten the perfect place to test it! :wink: )

The GPRS class 10 also sounds great! Not to mention, WiFi AND Bluetooth! :drool:

Anyone know the phone to HP's pre-order-sales? :wink:

mjhamson
10-01-2003, 07:52 PM
The US is starting to use 800MHz as a GSM band in addition to 1900MHz.

--janak

AT&T is using their existing equipent for GSM and as such are operating on the 850mhz frequency. It is a shame that we cannot stick to just the primary bandwidths.

Janak Parekh
10-01-2003, 07:59 PM
AT&T is using their existing equipent for GSM and as such are operating on the 850mhz frequency. It is a shame that we cannot stick to just the primary bandwidths.
The US military use 900/1800MHz, and if you believe the story, the GSM Association ignored that fact and went ahead with those frequencies for Europe.

In any case, it's a moot point long-term -- we'll have much more than 4 bands as 3G happens. WCDMA is already running on 2100MHz in Europe... and we'll have 700MHz freed up by the end of this decade in the US for wireless.

--janak

Mike Temporale
10-01-2003, 08:47 PM
8O :drool: 8O Camera and GSM in my iPaq !

Crap! What am I going to do now. My 3650 won't last until mid next year. It's just not going to happen.

I guess I'll just have to give in and buy a 4000 series, and then ebay it once these hit the shelves.

:drool:

David C
10-01-2003, 08:53 PM
Wow... if this thing comes with a 480x640screen , I'll be the first to line up for one.

Birdman
10-01-2003, 09:28 PM
If it IS going to be locked, then it has to be locked to a particular carrier which would imply that it would have to be sold by that carrier? So preumably it would work like the Treo, that it would have to be sold either by that particular carrier or sold with a contract. I was hoping if either Dell or HP brought one of these to market, they would just sell them unlocked through their regular retail channels thereby allowing the consumer to use them on whatever compatible network they choose.
(Unlikely this will ever happen)
If past practice/history is any indication of the speed with which either of Canada's GSM carriers adopt new PPC products, the chances of either Rogers or Fido offerring anything GSM/GPRS product from Dell, HP, etc. is slim to none!

whydidnt
10-01-2003, 09:32 PM
This is what I've been waiting for. :mrgreen:

Of course we've been hearing rumors of an IPAQ phone for so long, I think I'll wait for an actual HP announcement before I get too excited. For some reason it seems to take these telephone devices forever to get through the design stage to be released. :cry: Look at how much longer it is taking for the 2003 PPCPE devices to released compared to the standard MSMobile devices.

Come on HP, get this one to market before everyone who is interested in this kind of convergence purchases a Treo 600. :!:

Whydidnt

Paula
10-01-2003, 09:49 PM
This device sounds like a dream. We will even be able to use it here in New Zealand. Maybe it won't be locked here. As of right now none of our carrieres have an exclusive on the one and only combi phone/PDA they offer here (Audiovox). BUT where is my built in TV tuner and video recorder? Sheesh you would think HP would add those as well. :lol:

With all of these wonderful rumors floating about, I have this one nagging question; where is the next PPC in the 22xx series lineup? Will HP be discontinuing this model? :cry:

Cheers
Paula

Mike Temporale
10-02-2003, 02:07 AM
If it IS going to be locked, then it has to be locked to a particular carrier which would imply that it would have to be sold by that carrier? So preumably it would work like the Treo, that it would have to be sold either by that particular carrier or sold with a contract.

If past practice/history is any indication of the speed with which either of Canada's GSM carriers adopt new PPC products, the chances of either Rogers or Fido offerring anything GSM/GPRS product from Dell, HP, etc. is slim to none!

Bell did (does?) carry the Audiovox PPCPE.

If the phone is locked, there are always ways/places that will unlock them. So don't give up hope.

rzanology
10-02-2003, 01:02 PM
DAMN IT!!!!! i just bought my 2215 like 3 months ago!!! &lt;sigh> I guess this is the price i pay for being on the cutting edge huh...better start saving for this one!

dojobi
10-02-2003, 10:59 PM
What's this locking thing everyone is talking about? Do you mean that the actual GSM device can only use one particular SIM? If so, that sucks. I've never had a phone that was like this. Is this a common thing that I've just somehow avoided? I've had 3 or 4 phones.

Cheers,
Michael

BTW My first post :). I like the looks of this site, so I think I'll stick around.

Janak Parekh
10-03-2003, 02:27 AM
What's this locking thing everyone is talking about? Do you mean that the actual GSM device can only use one particular SIM? If so, that sucks. I've never had a phone that was like this. Is this a common thing that I've just somehow avoided? I've had 3 or 4 phones.
It's quite common if you get a subsidized phone from a particular carrier -- by default, the phone is usually SIM-locked to SIM cards from that carrier. Most carriers will eventually give you the unlocked code if you sign a contract, and there are third parties that can unlock most phones, though.

--janak

Mike Temporale
10-03-2003, 02:30 AM

Typically a provider will lock the phone to their network. And then offer it at a discounted rate with a contract. This is meant to keep you as a customer. It also helps prevent the installation of uncertified applications.

Chances are your past phones are locked, however you may not notice. Unless you try and take the phone to another carrier.

AhuhX
10-03-2003, 04:21 AM
It would be awesome if they bundled a BT headset with it.

DrtyBlvd
10-04-2003, 01:40 AM
If it is locked to a provider, then the same provider will have to offer it at a subsidised rate - good(ish) news for the price front - and as HP will want to sell it independently anyways,(or will they?) then it certainly won't be SIM locked... In other words both would be available at different prices....

Tek n Toys has a pic up next to pre-order (http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=162&inv_id=31001143129607&modid=30214092059015) - as no one else seems to have mentioned pics anywhere I take it this is an 'artists impression'?

Janak Parekh
10-04-2003, 03:40 AM
DrtyBlvd, good catch. That's just a pic of the TI Wanda (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10221) reference platform. HP might implement it, but it's unlikely they'd use the exact same picture I did. ;)

--janak

Jerry Raia
10-04-2003, 04:18 AM
DAMN IT!!!!! i just bought my 2215 like 3 months ago!!! &lt;sigh> I guess this is the price i pay for being on the cutting edge huh...better start saving for this one!

This will never end. We will just have to accept the fact that we need to buy a new one about once a year. 8O

Jonathon Watkins
10-07-2003, 11:26 PM
BTW My first post :). I like the looks of this site, so I think I'll stick around.

Welcome, nice to have you around the place. :D Pull up an armchair and make yourself comfortable. Ed will be passing round the biscuits any moment and Janak makes a great coffee. :wink:.

Janak Parekh
10-08-2003, 01:27 AM
Ed will be passing round the biscuits any moment and Janak makes a great coffee. :wink:.
8O No I won't. I don't even drink coffee. Ed'll have to supply both the biscuits and coffee. :lol:

--janak

maximus
10-08-2003, 01:54 AM
Who is the person that I have to beat up to get an integrated CF slot in this device ? :devilboy:

Kevin Daly
10-09-2003, 08:16 PM
As of right now none of our carrieres have an exclusive on the one and only combi phone/PDA they offer here (Audiovox).

Actually Paula, Vodafone sell the Qtek 1010 here as well (despite the ugly name, it's the same device as the XDA), which is a true Pocket PC Phone Edition rather than a kludge like the Thera. Unfortunately Vodafone have made absolutely no attempt whatsoever to market it (I have a suspicion that they are completely at a loss how to handle something that might be used by people who are old enough to vote and never go near snowboards). I have no idea whether they'll pick up on the XDA II, but I'm not confident.
On the plus side, Telecom will shortly be introducing a new model based on the HTC Falcon design, which will be a Windows Mobile 2003 Phone Edition device and a big improvement on the Thera.

hoxbox
10-18-2003, 06:56 AM
Ok isn't Wi-Fi on a cellphone PocketPC redundant?? I mean you already have your service provider providing internet to you??

DrtyBlvd
10-18-2003, 10:03 AM
speed speed speed :D

As well as office connection network stuff of course :wink:

hoxbox
10-18-2003, 03:52 PM
speed speed speed :D

As well as office connection network stuff of course :wink:

Ahh k, man the wait is killing me this phone sounds like it's got all the cool things I'll ever need!

bradolson
10-19-2003, 01:15 AM
i hate these rumors. bring us a real gsm/grps ppc. the original phone ppc is too weak these days.

ScottG
12-17-2003, 10:14 AM
http://www.brighthand.com/article/RumorMill_Site_Taking_Preorders_for_iPAQ_h6000

sdhill
02-04-2004, 06:37 AM
HP plans to release this unit into the mainstream at the end of March.