View Full Version : Remind me again why PPC is better than Palm (Tungsten T3)???

HOLLYWOOD_
10-01-2003, 01:51 PM
Tungsten T3 Key Features
8O
320x480 Stretch Display rotates from portrait to landscape
400MHz Intel® Xscale™ processor
64MB1 memory
MP32 and video3 playback, photo software
Create and edit Word, Excel, PowerPoint4 compatible files
New, improved organization features
Built-in Bluetooth
Built-in voice recorder
Palm™ Universal Connector
5-Way Navigator
Slider Design
Palm™ Expansion Slot
Headphone Jack
Voice Memo Button
Graffiti® 2 Writing Area
Rechargeable Battery
Infrared Port
Speaker
Note Pad
Date Book
Address Book
1 52MB actual storage capacity
2 Requires expansion card, sold separately
3 Quicktime required. Free Internet download available
4 PowerPoint compatibility Windows only

High visibility.
Slide open the T3™ handheld to reveal a 320x480 display. Instantly rotate the display from portrait to landscape for optimum viewing of spreadsheets, web pages and more. A new status bar provides one-tap access to battery and memory levels, volume and brightness controls, Bluetooth status and more from a single location.

Packed with power.
Handle spreadsheets, wireless applications and multimedia tasks with blazing speed and boundless performance with the Tungsten™ T3 handheld's ultra-fast 400MHz Intel® XScale processor, Palm OS® 5.2.1 and 64MB1 of memory.

Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook compatible.
Create and edit Word, Excel and PowerPoint* compatible files using built-in software for better support and performance than you get on a Pocket PC. Open Word and Excel email** attachments on the go with improved file support. Synchronize with Outlook's* calendar, contacts, tasks, notes and email right out of the box.
*PowerPoint and Outlook compatibility Windows only.
** Requires an ISP and compatible mobile phone, both sold separately.

Built-in Bluetooth.
Share files, photos and more with other compatible Bluetooth devices. Wirelessly access email, dial phone numbers, send text messages and connect to the Internet with Palm's enhanced web browser using a compatible mobile phone*.
*Requires an ISP and compatible mobile phone, both sold separately.

New and improved organization.
Use the new Agenda view and color-coded calendar to organize and customize your day, week, and month schedules. Set reminders for birthdays, plus add multiple mailing addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses. Improved synchronization with Outlook.

Tunes to go, and videos too.
Take your favorite MP3s*, video clips** and photos wherever you go and experience the Tungsten™ T3 handheld's high-quality sound and outstanding video clarity.
*Requires expansion card, sold separately.
**QuickTime required. Free Internet download available.

Record thoughts on the go.
Capture and organize your thoughts, ideas and reminders quickly using the Tungsten T3 handheld's built-in voice recorder.

Dual expansion
With built-in dual expansion, use stamp-sized expansion cards to add memory and applications; slightly larger expansion cards to add peripherals such as a digital camera; and use the Universal Connector to add other peripherals like the Palm™ Ultra-Thin Keyboard for easy data entry (all sold separately).

5-Way Navigator
Get faster access to applications and easy, one-handed access to the web and important information with the improved 5-way navigator design and software support.

Key Specs:• Model: Tungsten™ T3 - 1387781
• Depth: 0.66 in
• Height: 4.8 in
• Width: 3 in
• Weight: 5.5 oz. (Handheld + Stylus)
• Memory: 64MB (52MB actual storage capacity)
• Screen Display: 320 x 480 Transflective TFT color display supports more than 65,000 colors, can be rotated in either portrait or landscape mode
• Internet Access: Built-in Bluetooth technology
• Cradle: USB Cradle and Battery Charger Included
• E-mail: Internet Service Provider Account and Data-Enabled Phone or Modem Required (not included)
• Battery Support: Rechargeable Lithium Polymer
• Included with Purchase: Stylus, Flip Cover, USB HotSync® Cradle, Power Supply (120 VAC), Desktop Installation and Software Essentials CD w/PDF file users manual, Multimedia Getting Started Guide, Graffiti® 2 sticker w/tips&tricks sheet
• Bonus Software: Adobe® Reader®, Palm Reader, powerOne™ Calculator, BlueBoard, BlueChat, Java, Palm Web Pro, RealOne Desktop, Kinoma™ Producer desktop components, Solitaire
• Expansion Capabilities: MultiMediaCard Expansion Slot and Universal Connector
• Operating System: Palm OS® Version 5.2.1
• Sync to Desktop E-mail: Yes
• Wireless Features: Yes
• Web Browsing and Clipping: Yes
• Alarms: Yes
• MP3 Playback Software: Yes
• Video Playback Software: Yes

dh
10-01-2003, 03:43 PM
Before I bought my Axim, I was very tempted by the original Tungsten. The T3 looks to be the best PDA on the market currently, who would have thought that Palm could even do this? It's supposed to be Sony leading in POS.

I won't be buying one though, for a couple of reasons.

One is that POS6.0 is going to arrive early next year. This promises to be the version that finally matches most PPC features. The other is lack of CF card. I currently keep all my music and books on my CF and use my SD for work and other items. Unless SD cards of 2GB are ever available and at a price I can afford, I want to keep with 2 slots.

I'm looking forward to checking out the T3 soon, that screen is supposed to be the business.

PatrickD
10-01-2003, 04:27 PM
This is what the original TT should have been. Last year I was planning to upgrade my palm IIIc but was totally unimpressed by the TT especially at the price. Then along came the AXIM offering a lot more bang for the buck. Maybe if palm had gotten their act together sooner I would still be a palm customer.

SandersP
10-01-2003, 04:41 PM
TT3 has 900mAh battery, with POS power saving, Sony hi res screen, and 400mhz Xscale.

You do the math how long the battery will last. This is worst than the original iPAQ 3600!

I am gloating over that fact.

PetiteFlower
10-01-2003, 06:42 PM
It's a bit on the expensive side. For the same price in a month or so I'll be able to get an X3 with built in wifi (BT is useless to me) and all of those other features other then the screen resolution and portrait/landscape switching. With more storage capacity too, and likely better battery life. Plus, it's palm. I've seen the OS a few times, I don't like it. And I multitask. No contest for me.

AndrewLubinus89
10-02-2003, 12:12 AM
Well, while it has good specs I don't think there is enough software out there to support the power it has.

blusparkles
10-02-2003, 12:29 AM
The only apps that can run on the full 320 x 480 resolution are the ones it comes with - all of the other Palm programs available will only run on 320 x 320, even the ones that support hi-res+ for Sony Clies. That's because Sony implemented the hi-res differently to Palm (or palmOne, whatever). So this means yet another version of Palm programs needs to be made specifically for the T3 (and other devices that follow).

shawnc
10-02-2003, 12:38 AM
Replace BT with 802.11 and you might have something. Though the thought of NEVER having to deal with Pcoket Word is v-e-r-y tempting...

JustinGTP
10-02-2003, 02:11 AM
Its a lot better. Period.

-Justin.

(After all, we are on a PPC Forum :roll:

PetiteFlower
10-02-2003, 03:54 AM
Regardless, you should still be able to come up with reasons, if you don't ever question your faith then how do you know it's true?

JustinGTP
10-02-2003, 04:02 AM
I dont need to explain to you why its good, I know its better, I have my reasons, and therefore you should respect my opinion :wink:

maximus
10-02-2003, 04:42 AM
Hmm. This reminds me of the debate on whether god exists or not.

One of the speaker yelled: I KNOW HE EXIST.
And then that person start pounding on everyone else who didn't agree with him.

JustinGTP
10-02-2003, 05:10 AM
Well, I don't see how that was relevant, but whatever!

PetiteFlower
10-02-2003, 05:11 AM
Hm, why don't we try to steer clear of the touchy subjects before the mods have to come in here and start thrashing heads :)

JustinGTP
10-02-2003, 05:42 AM
But its always fun :D

Steven Cedrone
10-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Hm, why don't we try to steer clear of the touchy subjects before the mods have to come in here and start thrashing heads :)

I agree...

But its always fun :D

Not if you're sitting in my seat, it isn't...

Please get back on topic...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

silentmuse
10-02-2003, 06:09 PM
I'm amazed that Palm refuses to make a model that combines BT and WF. Get a T3 with both built in so I still have the SD slot free for storage, and I'll be trading in my 2210.....

vovillamor
10-02-2003, 06:21 PM
...Get a T3 with both built in so I still have the SD slot free for storage, and I'll be trading in my 2210.....

What if you can get a 2210-like PocketPC with both built in...would you still be trading in your 2210? (Hint: iPAQ 4155)

I've got alot of time and experience invested in PocketPC devices. If I was a new PDA user that could've gone either way, the newest Palm OS devices would seem to be very competitive to what the current PocketPC devices offer. But I'm the type that can't break old habits, and PocketPCs have truly become habitual to me. Then again, I was able to switch from an Apple Macintosh to a Windows PC...so anything is possible.

silentmuse
10-02-2003, 06:34 PM
That's a good question. I've got some investment in the PPC, but there are some things that I think Palm just does better. I think the Palms are more stable and have a bigger software base. Their implementation of built in WF rocks over PPC.

*shrug*. If BT and WF came out on both PPC and Palm at the same time, I'd have to do some close research to decide which way to go. I'd be tempted to switch to Palm, though, if they get it right.

CTSLICK
10-02-2003, 07:31 PM
I actually have a reason.

Now that the T3 and the UX-50 are out there is nothing hardware-wise that would keep me from buying a Palm.

HOWEVER, I will NOT give up my ability to connect to and manage my applications using Citrix via a GPRS connection. I have come to depend on this to manage my applications when I am away from my PC and/or out of the office. Until Citrix makes a Palm client (or when someone gives me a thin client to connect with) I am firmly rooted in the PocketPC camp.

Thinkingmandavid
10-02-2003, 10:22 PM
For me, I just dont like the palm OS. I prefer the ppc or the Symbian OS!:) YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bazza
10-03-2003, 11:43 PM
but there are some things that I think Palm just does better. I think the Palms are more stable and have a bigger software base

I agree they are more stable - however, there is only one application open at the one time. :D

Regarding the software base - have you seriously looked at it? Sure there are more applications but how many would you use? I seriously looked at the software and bought about 12 applications. When you compare similar appications on the PPC platform - the Palm apps do not rate. The PPC applications have a 100% better interface and are generally more powerful. For that reason I switched back to PPC.

Yes I agree the hardware specs are impressive, but the Palm OS and accompanying apps do not compare to the PPC.

:werenotworthy:

Prevost
10-04-2003, 02:41 AM
I agree the hardware specs are impressive, but the Palm OS and accompanying apps do not compare to the PPC.

So, OS stability doesn't matters. Or it does?

Janak Parekh
10-04-2003, 03:37 AM
I strongly debate the stability argument. I soft reset my Pocket PC with the same frequency as I did my Palm devices. In general, you might find people crashing their Pocket PCs more often because they tend to do more outlandish things, like check their email, surf the internet, play MP3s, and play a game at the same time. ;) [Mind you: I've done all that without a crash...]

--janak

bazza
10-05-2003, 02:48 AM

When you are doing nothing you are more stable!! :D

To be honest I reset my Sony Clie more than my HP 5550. In fact I rarely reset my HP 5550.

SandersP
10-06-2003, 12:58 AM
Wow, This sort of bug will kill any PPC model if ever happens.
TT3 fried sandisk SD card. Something about Palm VFAT.

http://www.bitsnbolts.com/tungsten_t3.html