View Full Version : Counterfeit Bluetooth Gear Found In UK Retail Outlets

Ed Hansberry
10-01-2003, 01:00 PM
<a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/51/32971.html">http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/51/32971.html</a><br /><br />"Phone retailers are about to discover that they risk legal action for selling fake Bluetooth gear. Over 50% of Bluetooth equipment on sale in the UK is counterfeit, according to a survey. And that figure is set to rise. By year end, as little as 15% of the "Bluetooth" equipment on sale in retail outlets may be genuine, say SIG members."<br /><br />Not only is this a trademark infringement, these bluetooth devices may fail to operate properly. The savy buyers can protect themselves though. "For a prospective buyer there's an easy check. The Bluetooth Special Interest Group has posted a list of companies who have signed up to use the Bluetooth logo. It's available for everyone to check at the <a href="http://www.bluetooth.com/sig/membership.asp">membership page of the Blutooth SIG site</a>."

dannyoneill
10-01-2003, 01:23 PM
I thought you meant selling like fake Jabra's and HDW-2. These guys just mean fake as in there using the Bluetooth logo but dont have permission.

dont see why they dont, they can get the rights to use the logo for free from the web site.

Ed Hansberry
10-01-2003, 01:26 PM
dont see why they dont, they can get the rights to use the logo for free from the web site.
According to the site, you have to be a member.The Bluetooth SIG provides a forum for companies to work together using short-range wireless technologies to solve customer problems. Companies can join either as Associate or Adopter Member. By completing a membership application and applicable membership agreements companies are granted access to the latest specifications, and rights to use the Bluetooth Brand.I suspect there is some sort of QC involved to ensure you are using the BT spec and not a simple matter of just signing up to get the use of the logo.

dannyoneill
10-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Thats what I mean. membership is free. prolly right though about the quality control. Although...

just clicked on the signup and seems like simple type registration stufff. username, password, company and click your in. You can then use the logos.

Seems like a pretty petty thing. Still think they shouldnt use the word "counterfeit". this is more like "unofficial" gear thank fakes.

SandersP
10-01-2003, 01:40 PM
What on earth is 'counterfeit" BT? It broadcasts fake BT signals? jeesh

Sounds like trademark bickering rather than technical issue to me.

Steven Cedrone
10-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Not only is this a trademark infringement, these bluetooth devices may fail to operate properly.

Hmmm...

I'm having a hard time getting my "real" Bluetooth device to work properly, maybe I should try a counterfeit device instead??? :wink:

Steve

dbrahms
10-01-2003, 02:45 PM
heck, call it bluetooth compatible and go to it. the licensing is what helps to drive up costs. i'm all for competition...

gohtor
10-01-2003, 03:42 PM
I've seen bluetooth GPS's that are selling for $150 US while many retail stores are selling them for almost double. It's possible these are the counterfeit bluetooth devices they're talking about.

dannyoneill
10-01-2003, 03:57 PM
this is likely to just be retail stores doing what they do best, ripping us all off. They still wonder why we buy online "But the service is so impersonal, when you come to us you get to see what your buying and speak to an expert". Thats a very expensive expert.

:soapbox: RETAIL CHARGE MORE MONEY FOR JACK SH*T!

Jason Dunn
10-01-2003, 04:07 PM
What on earth is 'counterfeit" BT? It broadcasts fake BT signals? jeesh

When I first skimmed this article, I thought they were talking about BT-logo'd devices that lacked Bluetooth hardware, thus being "dummy" plastic that didn't do anything. Finding out now that it just means it's not "official" BT-approved hardware is a much different issue, and not as big of a deal, although it's not like the Bluetooth camp needs MORE problems. :roll:

Duncan
10-01-2003, 06:41 PM
Two points:

1) The BT logo is copyrighted and using it on non-approved products makes them, by any lawful measure, counterfeit.

2) In order to get the right to use the BT logo prodcust need to have been tested for conformity to the standard (they don't test the proprietory software - unfortunately)

So it is an issue and it does matter - what I don't understand is where this counterfeit stuuf is supposed to be being sold - I've never seen any BT stuff for sale in UK shops that hasn't passed BT compliance...!