View Full Version : Signal Strength on Bluetooth Dongle

JustinGTP
10-01-2003, 04:22 AM
Hi,

I have a Belkin USB which has 100 meter range (328FT) but I cannot access all of this! It disconnects frequently and sometimes wont connect at all when I move about my house. This is frustrating, is there a better dongle that can give a strong signal strength?? Recommendations is what is needed here! Thankyou!

-Justin.

Steven Cedrone
10-01-2003, 04:43 AM
Well...

I would think you have at least two major stumbling blocks here:

1) Walls, floors, etc.
2) Your 2215 isn't the same class Bluetooth device, it might limit your ability to keep a connection as well...

So I don't know if getting a new dongle would make that much of a difference...

Steve

Jason Dunn
10-01-2003, 05:47 AM
I have an Iogear USB Bluetooth adaptor, and I've found it to be quite excellent:

http://www.iogear.com/products/product.php?Item=GBU301

I've used it all over my house and it only dropped out when I got to the 3rd floor and at the other end of my house (the BT dongle is on the PC in the basement). I was quite pleased with the range. :-)

JustinGTP
10-01-2003, 05:50 AM
What is the bluetooth class on my pda and is this non upgradeable?

-Justin.

hollis_f
10-01-2003, 07:31 AM
What is the bluetooth class on my pda and is this non upgradeable?

-Justin. Your iPAQ is a Class 2 device that has a specified range of 10m. This is determined by the hardware, so it's not upgradeable. There seems to be quite a bit of variation in the range of class 2 devices. My 3970 can talk to my Belkin dongle (Class 1; 100m range) while I'm in my car, across the road from my 3rd floor flat - about 20m away. Of course, intervening solid objects (especially metal) will cut the range quite a bit.