View Full Version : "View posts since last visit" feature and notification

ignar
09-30-2003, 09:45 PM
I read the forum usually by clicking the "View posts since last visit" link on the forum main page. I also subscribe many threads to get email notification when they get new posts. One annoyance of using the notification though is that right the moment I click the link in the notification to check the subscribed thread, my last visit time gets updated and consequently clicking the "View posts since last visit" link shows nothing. Technically, I know the logic is right. But practically, it'd be much nice if the time status is not updated at least for some time when user visits the forum by clicking the links in the notification.

Jason Dunn
09-30-2003, 09:46 PM
I agree completely, but unfortunately the people who designed phpBB (the forum software we use) don't seem to agree (or perhaps they haven't fixed it yet). Regardless, we're held hostage by them until they decide to fix it. :|

easylife
09-30-2003, 09:50 PM
I was just about to post about this. Apparently the "new posts" feature on these forums only lists the new posts SINCE YOUR LOGIN. So if I log in and immediately check the "new posts" thing it comes up with nothing. However, if I'm surfin Thoughts for about half an hour I start to see posts cropping up in the "new posts" area. I don't know if this has something to do with tweaking on Jason/Fabrizio's part but I don't think other phpBB forums act like this with the "new posts" feature.

One suggestion: perhaps a script to get all posts since a specific date. The search feature won't let you do this but I think that such a thing would be extremely handy. Perhaps a slight modification of the code for the archves...? 8) It's food for thought, and if I were skilled enough at PHP I would do it myself, but alas I lack both the knowledge and skill to do so. :(

PetiteFlower
09-30-2003, 10:23 PM
That's not how it's supposed to work, it's supposed to list all the new posts from the time you last logged out(or left the site if you stay logged in) until you logged back in. If it's not working like that, then something is wrong....

petvas
09-30-2003, 10:28 PM
This is very annoying...
I hope they get it fixed soon...
It is the only thing that bothers me in this great site!!!
Anyway, Jason keep up the good work!!!

spursdude
10-01-2003, 12:02 AM
Same issue here - the new posts feature just doesn't unless I leave the window open and then refresh it to check for new posts.

I'll survive, though. :D

ctmagnus
10-01-2003, 12:03 AM
I'm "forever cookied" with this site so unless I spend a fair amount of time here in one session or leave the browser window open for a while, this feature is rather useless to me.

Kati Compton
10-01-2003, 05:05 AM
I never log out, but normally if I visit, clicking "New Posts" brings up all the posts since my PREVIOUS visit. However, if I don't have a browser window currently open, and I click a link to a post, and THEN click "New Posts", it only shows the posts since I visited the linked post. So at that point, it's "View Posts Since This Visit Started", which is much different from the "normal" behavior.