View Full Version : Mobileslash Takes a Peek at the Tungsten E

Jason Dunn
09-29-2003, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobileslash.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=13' target='_blank'>http://www.mobileslash.com/cms_view...icle.php?aid=13</a><br /><br /></div>We've talked quite a bit about the Axim and entry-level iPAQ lines taking the game into Palm's low-cost domain, but Palm isn't sitting still: they're releasing the Tungsten E for sub-$200 USD, and it includes a 320x320 colour screen, 32 MB of RAM, and a fast ARM processor. While this might not be good news for Pocket PC OEMs, it's good news for consumers, because it will keep the competition for more features at a lower price nice and lively. :D Go check out the overview at Mobileslash.

mangochutneyman
09-29-2003, 07:33 PM
In order to realize how small the T|E is, check out the following pics comparing it to the M500...

http://www.geocities.com/noodlenet/

Edit: seems the original like exceeded it bandwidth. You can also see the pics at the following link:

http://community.webshots.com/album/92578464hpItOx

SandersP
09-29-2003, 08:06 PM
I'll give Dell 2 quarters to crush this puppy.

Scott R
09-29-2003, 08:34 PM
I put together an article about the Tungsten T3 where I discuss several new improvements to the built-in PIM apps. I know that many here have criticized the Palm OS for lacking multiple addresses, so you'll be happy (or sad?) to see that palmOne has addressed that (no pun intended), among other things. It looks like palmOne, not PalmSource, took the initiative here, so I don't know if these new PIM apps will make their way into other Palm OS devices. The updated PIM apps come with both the Tungsten T3 and the Tungsten E. You can read more here:
http://goodthatway.com/news_arc/?id=91

Scott

SandersP
09-29-2003, 08:38 PM
So the T3 is another version of TE, or do you just want to advertise your T3 article even if it is off topic? :?:

PS. you call that improvement?

Scott R
09-29-2003, 09:08 PM
So the T3 is another version of TE, or do you just want to advertise your T3 article even if it is off topic? :?:
The article spends more time discussing changes to the PIM apps than it does talking about the hardware of the TT3, so it's on-topic for the TE discussion.

Scott

Foo Fighter
09-30-2003, 12:34 AM
Still spamming message boards I see, eh Scott? :roll:

Scott R
09-30-2003, 01:03 AM
Still spamming message boards I see, eh Scott? :roll:Oh, Foo, give it a rest already. This is a topic about the TE. I wrote an article with information pertinent to this discussion that was not discussed in the article Jason linked to in his original post. I make no money from my site. In fact, the more people that go there, the more bandwidth it uses and thus the more money it costs me.

Scott

Foo Fighter
09-30-2003, 01:15 AM
This is a topic about the TE.

So why are you discussing the Tungsten T3?

I wrote an article with information pertinent to this discussion that was not discussed in the article Jason linked to in his original post.

Then why not post it here? That is what a message board is for, sharing information. You keep posting this same crap on every web site: Palminfocenter, Brighthand, and now PPCT (of all places). It should be obvious to everyone by now that you are trying to attract visitors to your site, which is a cheap tactic. Not to mention disrespectful to Jason and other webmasters maintaining enthusiast sites.

Go spam somewhere else.

Kati Compton
09-30-2003, 02:36 AM
Enough arguing. Back to the topic.

SandersP
09-30-2003, 04:16 AM
Back to the topic.

TE is a dead dodo. What's more to discuss? :lol:

Foo Fighter
09-30-2003, 04:32 AM

Why? Looks like a great entry level handheld. For under $200 you get a gorgeous 320x320 display..digital audio..great form factor...excellent leather flip cover. My only gripe is the cheap finish. It's the same shiny silver painted plastic as the back of the Zire 71, which shows fingerprints like crazy. Looks nice sitting on a store shelf, but after a few minutes of heavy use, your TE will look like a grubby mess. :rawr:

Fzara
09-30-2003, 04:33 AM
Why is it that these Palm devices have the best specs, best build quality, best features, but have the worst OS?!?!?!?!

WHY GOD, OH WHY GOD, WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME LIKE THIS :rawr:

Prevost
09-30-2003, 04:57 AM
Why is it that these Palm devices have the best specs, best build quality, best features, but have the worst OS?!?!?!?!

WHY GOD, OH WHY GOD, WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME LIKE THIS :rawr:
Being a Palm user (still) I must say I don't understand you.

I don't see which specs, quality details, and features, does any Palm have that is not present in the Pocket PCs...

I mean, apart from a more reliable OS and desktop sync software in Palms than on PocketPC, I think Pocket PCs are not behind Palms.

And don't flame me now, you know the previous statement is true. There is here even a recent thread concerning this, that includes some comments of PPC enthusiats telling just the same, particularily ActiveSync wyse (Why PPC is better than Palm, I think is the name of the thread).

My only gripe is the cheap finish. It's the same shiny silver painted plastic as the back of the Zire 71, which shows fingerprints like crazy. Looks nice sitting on a store shelf, but after a few minutes of heavy use, your TE will look like a grubby mess.
Isn't it the same finish of the 2210? C'mon...

Foo Fighter
09-30-2003, 05:12 AM
Isn't it the same finish of the 2210? C'mon...

No it isn't. The TE is shiny and smooth like chrome. The 2210 has a duller, less smooth finish. Have you looked at back part of a Zire 71? That's what it is like. Fingerprint city.

SandersP
09-30-2003, 05:40 AM

Why? Looks like a great entry level handheld. For under $200 you get a gorgeous 320x320 display..digital audio..great form factor...excellent leather flip cover.

well okay out right extinction probably is too harsh. But it'll have very heavy competitions, specially from the X3. Both even have the same look. So it comes down to service, retail and software.

It will be interesting to watch.

midtoad
09-30-2003, 06:02 AM
I put together an article about the Tungsten T3 where I discuss several new improvements to the built-in PIM apps.
http://goodthatway.com/news_arc/?id=91
Scott

thanks for bringing this to our attention. Having extra fields in the Calendar will make it easier to transfer data to / from Pocket PCs that sync to Outlook.

What you didn't say in your article, maybe because you didn't know, is that it appears that the battery life of the T3 sucks - same size battery as on the T2, but larger screen, transflective display, more memory and faster CPU all take their toll. Palm OS' historic advantage in battery life over PPC may be coming to an end.

cheers
Stewart in Calgary

Scott R
09-30-2003, 02:01 PM
What you didn't say in your article, maybe because you didn't know, is that it appears that the battery life of the T3 sucks - same size battery as on the T2, but larger screen, transflective display, more memory and faster CPU all take their toll.I didn't have access to a T3 myself, but focused more on what could be known based on the user manual as well as including what little user reports were available at the time. I did mention that the battery life was an unknown and it looked like it might not be any larger than the T2's. palmOne is notoriously bad about disclosing the size of the batteries they use. I think they may have for the TC, but that's because it was so big they used it as a selling point. Remember, though, we're talking about the Tungsten E here, so please stay on topic. ;)

Palm OS' historic advantage in battery life over PPC may be coming to an end.I think that ended a while ago, back when Palm OS licensees started using high-res color screens and adding in wireless technologies. I think they still enjoyed better standby life for a while, though I believe many of the PPC manufacturers have figured out ways to address this. Getting back to the topic of the TE, I haven't heard much about battery life yet and, again, I think the battery size is still an unknown.

Scott

ucfgrad93
09-30-2003, 03:38 PM
I came across a picture of the new T|E vs. m500 (www.geocities.com/noodlenet). I think the T|E is going to be a huge hit for Palm.

Prevost
09-30-2003, 08:08 PM
I came across a picture of the new T|E vs. m500 (www.geocities.com/noodlenet). I think the T|E is going to be a huge hit for Palm.
I agree. And also pricing is good. The m515 started out at $299 and obviously cannot compete against TE in hardware.

I am starting to figure out how to save DWF files in JPG or acrobat in order to buy the TE instead of the 2215... :mrgreen: still undecided.

phillytim
11-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Frankly, I am pretty impressed with the T|E. Almost enough to buy one, and certainly enough to give their new Zire 21 a shot before I spent more money on a device.

And Honestly, I am pretty much a PocketPC ->> PalmOS convert now. I _LOVE_ my Zire 21, compared to my iPaq 1910 PPC, and I use the Zire more than I ever used the 1910.

The PalmOS doesn't crash, the alarms work, there isn't a lot of distracting options, and battery life is awesomely long. The T|E maximizes this with it's nice looks, ultra-slim form factor, great screen and is inexpensive to boot --

For under $200, you can have a device that you can add an SDIO WiFi card for $100 and have a fully functional network device, with expansion options, way cheaper than the PPC platform. Which equates to a hit.

I'm now gonna wait until PalmOS-6 comes out (which devices will be out in a few months) to decide where I really will put more money towards.

Unreal32
12-05-2003, 07:36 PM
I'll give Dell 2 quarters to crush this puppy.

Being a brick, it could crush one now! You wouldn't even need to add the two quarters ;)

Unreal32
12-05-2003, 07:39 PM
Frankly, I am pretty impressed with the T|E. Almost enough to buy one, and certainly enough to give their new Zire 21 a shot before I spent more money on a device.

And Honestly, I am pretty much a PocketPC ->> PalmOS convert now. I _LOVE_ my Zire 21, compared to my iPaq 1910 PPC, and I use the Zire more than I ever used the 1910.

The PalmOS doesn't crash, the alarms work, there isn't a lot of distracting options, and battery life is awesomely long. The T|E maximizes this with it's nice looks, ultra-slim form factor, great screen and is inexpensive to boot --

For under $200, you can have a device that you can add an SDIO WiFi card for $100 and have a fully functional network device, with expansion options, way cheaper than the PPC platform. Which equates to a hit.

I'm now gonna wait until PalmOS-6 comes out (which devices will be out in a few months) to decide where I really will put more money towards.

Dittos here. I used to use an iPaq 3600, then the 3800 model series, then the 2200 series... problems with all of them as far as Activesync, losing data, synching over and then not seeing updated files, hard resets, and general unreliability. I switched first to a Tungsten T3, and then found that I could return it (I wasn't using the additional screen space, didn't care about bluetooth, and hated the slider) and got a Tungsten E for $199, and then had enough moolah to be able to buy a nice digital camera to boot! I can't imagine going back any time soon. I like the "zen" of Palm still, and that since I've returned to the Palm platform I have had zero problems with lost data, synchronization, etc.

Unreal32
12-05-2003, 07:43 PM
Looks nice sitting on a store shelf, but after a few minutes of heavy use, your TE will look like a grubby mess. :rawr:

Simply untrue. I've used mine now since I bought one (10 days into their release). Ask my wife... she'll tell you that mine gets heavy use. The Tungsten E I purchased looks just the same as the day I bought it. It may have a relatively inexpensive finish on it, but unless your fingers are made of fine-grit sandpaper, it holds up well and does the job famously... and still looks great!

Unreal32
12-05-2003, 07:44 PM
I agree. And also pricing is good. The m515 started out at $299 and obviously cannot compete against TE in hardware.

I am starting to figure out how to save DWF files in JPG or acrobat in order to buy the TE instead of the 2215... :mrgreen: still undecided.

Save them in Repligo instead!

Prevost
12-06-2003, 05:34 AM
What is Repligo? Can I use it for DWG files (actually I'm not using DWF but DWG)

By the way, I have ALWAYS have a problem with syncing Docs to Go...a problem that lately has turn into a nightmare. It's NOT seamless, but at least I am not losing info. And with what you state in your signature... :mrgreen: difficult to leave Palm for PocketPC, at least with the current OS state of the art.

Janak Parekh
12-06-2003, 06:34 AM
What is Repligo? Can I use it for DWG files (actually I'm not using DWF but DWG)
http://www.cerience.com/index.htm -- you can use it for basically anything you would use PDF for. It's just lighter and more efficient.

--janak