View Full Version : Anyway to do the following?

rpgman
09-27-2003, 12:45 AM
Since I have a Samsung A500, currently there is no way to connect the phone to the PDA to surf the internet until thesupplynet.com releases the cable sometime on 10/15/03.

Can I at least do the following from home?

I use Windows 2000 Professional with a dialup connection. I have an Ipaq 2215 Pocket PC. I want to WIRELESSLY use the main computers dialup ability to have my Pocket PC connect to the internet. I know I can use a dialup modem with bluetooth from some sites that sell for around $133.00, but is there a generic way to do it? No computer stores in the area (Best But, Circuit City, Office Depot) have a bluetooth dial-up modem. Their only available from websites.

Is there any other way, like getting a wireless access point on the main computer using dialup, have connection sharing enabled, and then accessing that access point from my pda?

Any help?

Thanx,

Greg.

Kaber
09-27-2003, 01:22 AM
Check this out (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449) Bluetooth Guides at Geekzone.

Get a USB Bluetooth dongle for your PC.

Not a lot of distance (maybe 30Ft.) and not as fast as WiFi.

The other way would be a WiFi USB for your PC and a CF WiFi card for your 2215 and link them up over ad hoc. This will give you more range (say 100ft @ 11Mbps).

Or an ethernet card in your PC connected to a WiFi AP via a hub and a CF WiFi card.

rpgman
09-27-2003, 01:56 AM
What do you mean when you say " link them up over ad hoc"?

Would it be a difficult process?

Any help on the steps? Would it be as simple as plugging the 2 devices in? One (USB) for the main dial-up computer and one for the PDA?

Would I have to enable network sharing? Because I was just in network properties and I don't see a tab for sharing.

Thanx,

Greg

freitasm
09-27-2003, 03:32 AM
Kaber sugestion is correct.

With Bluetooth you'll be able to share a connection from a host computer. It doesn't matter if the connection is dial up, cable, adsl.

If you don't have Bluetooth on your Pocket PC, you can add it via SD card, CF card or sleeve. For the desktop/laptop a Bluetooth dongle is what you'll need.

Install the Bluetooth software on your computer
Plug the dongle
Configure the sharing
Install the Bluetooth software on your Pocket PC (if needed)
Plug the SD/CF/sleeve
Pair devices
Connect

As pointed by Kaber have a look in our guides on how to share the connection. Of course where you see the ethernet adapters you'll simply use the dial up connectoid.

Kaber
09-27-2003, 07:53 AM
Nice guides, btw! :twisted:

freitasm
09-27-2003, 08:45 AM
Cheers!

rpgman
09-27-2003, 05:11 PM
I understand the Bluetooth. I have it on the 2215.

But, what I don't understand is, when I go to Network and Dial-up connections and right click on Local Area Connection and take Properties it doesn't have a 'Sharing' Tab.

It just has "General' tab.

Connect using:

Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection.

Do I need some type of card or something?

Where's the 'Sharing' tab?

Thanx,

Greg

Sven Johannsen
09-27-2003, 06:41 PM
You likely don't have a sharing tab because you only have one network connection...the dialup. You have nothing to share with. When you add a second network connection, either a Wifi or BT USB dongle, or an ethernet network card for a wired home network, the sharing tabs will show up. At that point you could 'share' the dial-up with anyone on the 'other' network.

If you have more than one network adapter, like a modem and a network card, the sharing tab is on the properties of the individual adapter. IN XP, BTW it is on the Advanced tab, disguised as Internet Connection Sharing.

rpgman
09-27-2003, 11:15 PM
Ok, here's what I purchased at Best Buy:

NETGEAR Cable/DSL Wireless Router with 4-port 10/100 Mbps switch MR814

NETGEAR 11Mbps 802.11b Wireless PCI Adapter 32-bit PCI MA311

NETGEAR PC Card 32-bit CardBus MA521

AmbiCom Compactflash CArd IEEE 802.11b Wireless

First, pardon the discussion, but before I connect my HP 2215, I want to make sure I at least can share with the laptop.

After installing the PCI Card in the desktop and the card in the laptop and turninng on the Cable/DSl Wireless Router,

I can't seem to see/share the desktop with the laptop and vice versa.

Both Wirless cards seem to be working, but theor not sharing.

And, everytime I click on the Icon for the wireless network on the desktop pc, it tells me network cable unplugged.

Is that because I'm not using Cable/DSL?

I'm lost....if I can't get the 2 computers to at least share, I can forget about sharing with the PDA, and sharing a Dial-up Connection.

Am I missing something, do I need to have some sort of cable running from the router to the desktop?

Any Help?

Greg

Sven Johannsen
09-28-2003, 05:03 AM
First, what's the router for? Your connection to the internet is via the modem in the desktop, correct? The router would be if you had a DSL or cable connection to the net. It would then distribute the incoming internet connection to the various devices. Turn the thing off, until you get DSL/Cable.

On the Desktop, with the wireless PCI card in it, your modem properties should somewhere have an option for sharing the connection. It would be helpful to know what OSs are running on the desktop and laptop, BTW.

The basic idea here is that the Desktop, with Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) turned on, really becomes a router. It gets the internet traffic on one port, the modem or WAN port, and distributes, or routes, the traffic on it's other port, the LAN. In your case the WiFi LAN. In a wired situation, the ICS machine also serves as a DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) Server, that passes all the right IP info to the other machines on the LAN side.

If you turn on Internet Connection Sharing on the modem, you will find that the system will probably adjust the configuration on the wireless card's IP settings. Here is where I start making things up, because I didn't have to create this setup. I am not sure if you will need to manually configure the laptop wireless card to be in the same subnet as the desktop WiFi card (with appropriate subnet mask, gateway and DNS) or if it can pick that up via DHCP from the desktop with ICS turned on. (if this was wired it would do that). I'd start by trying Infrastructure and DHCP and see if the laptop can pick up addresses. You use ipconfig to see what it is doing. [I don't think ad-hoc and DHCP would even be an option, since ad-hoc assumes peer to peer, and a DHCP server wouldn't normally exist). If this works, great. You can likely just set the PPC WiFi to Infrastructure/DHCP and go. If not we have a lot of work to do if you are not familiar with setting up an IP network manually.

That's it for now. We'll see how far you get. If all this was, and still is Greek, let us know. Not knowing your level makes it hard to know what level to try to help at.

P.S. keep the encryption off untill we get things talking.

rpgman
09-28-2003, 05:37 AM
Well, the guy at Best Buy said I needed the router. Since I'm new to this, I didn't know. If I unplug the router, the wireless PCI card and the laptop card Icon's show as disabled.

So, that's the first problem if I turn off the Router.

The second problem is finding the dial-up networking connection.

I use MSN, and clicking on properties, there is no tabs like there would be for any other dial-up connection.

If I click on Dial-up and Network Connections, I get the following:

Make a new connecton

Local area network (which is the New PCI Netgear card I just installed)

MSN Explorer

The MSN Explorer I believe is the Dial-up network. And, if you right click on it, there are no options.

So, I was under the impression that I could at least network the laptop and the desktop together before even trying to attemp to find out how to share the dial-up MSN connection or even trying to share the PDA. But, I'm unable to do that (share the laptop and desktop).

The laptop is using Win98 SE

and the Desktop is using Win 2000 Pro.

Greg

rpgman
10-03-2003, 04:05 AM
Just wanted to update you all on how I made out.

Threw out MSN Dial-up and switched to Roadrunner.

Got the NETGEAR Router working, wireless card for the laptop hooked in and sharing and using the internet wirelessly,

and, hooked up the AmbiCom PDA Wireless card for my HP 2215 and it's also sharing and using the internet wirelessly.

signal strength all around the house is great on the laptop and HP 2215.

haven't gone outside yet to test the signal strength except for in the garage, and signal strength in there was good.

thanks sven and everyone who attemped to help me hook it all up with dial-up.

broadband was the way to go anyway. I dunno why I even attemped to even try to hook it all up with the dial-up....what a hassle.

this was a piece of cake to hook up wirelessly using broadband.

thanks again.

Greg

Kaber
10-03-2003, 04:54 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of WiFi!