View Full Version : Requesting Help to Bring back the dead

StroppyGoblin
09-26-2003, 01:02 PM
All,
Situation: IPAQ 3660 - Critically Ill
Cause: Unknown - Picked up off docking station and had hung on showing task alert, soft reset - no joy, Hard reset - showed Compaq rom boot screen and did no more, Several resets later - no screen at all.
Inital investigations show prob to be ROM related _ I can get to Parrot and see Remote USB update screen.
'Obtained' Host11.exe and original rom (SP16986) tried doing update and it gets to 98% then pauses and finally comes up with USB connection lost error.

Can always get back to USB update screen even after this has occurred.
Compaq (HP) Support is useless, no one has even heard of the famous parrot or this Host11 program. I would appreciate any help on this (surely Jason with all your IPAQ's, you must have come across this?)
DONT LET MY IPAQ REMAIN IN A COMA !!! :(

David Prahl
09-26-2003, 01:44 PM
:mecry:

Sorry about your iPaq - I'm sure that you'll find a solution soon. This is a long shot, but you might e-mail Pocket PC Techs and ask them if they can help.

Anthony Caruana
09-26-2003, 01:49 PM
I saw a post at another site that mentioned that PocketPCPassion had Some guides on dealing with ROM corruption) that might be helpful.

StroppyGoblin
09-26-2003, 01:52 PM
Yep, I have also seen those references to those PocketPasion Articles - Unfortunately all Search Links fail - I think the site is being overhauled?
Can anyone post a working link ?

StroppyGoblin
09-27-2003, 11:27 PM
No one got any ideas ? (Desperation is setting in) :roll:

jonat8
09-29-2003, 07:41 AM
If it helps, I'm having the same kind of problem with my Toshiba PPC e740... an app hung and not a soft or hard reset would clear it so I removed the battery and put it back in and now... just a blank screen. Battery is fully locked into place and charged.

The battery charges in the cradle but Windows doesn't recognise the PPC either.

:( :( :( :cry:

If I can't fix it I'll have to send it back for replacement (it's still in warranty) but I suspect if I tell them an application caused it to exhibit this behaviour they might say "not our problem"...

Anthony Caruana
09-29-2003, 02:12 PM
If I can't fix it I'll have to send it back for replacement (it's still in warranty) but I suspect if I tell them an application caused it to exhibit this behaviour they might say "not our problem"...

If the device has failed in this way I doubt that an errant application caused the device to die. Installing and using apps is a normal sort of operaiton for these devices and should not corrupt the ROm. If the ROM is corrupt Toshiba should replace or repair the device without any issue

jonat8
09-29-2003, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I haven't managed to revive the device yet so will give Toshiba a call tomorow to try and get a replacement and send the old one back in. Or maybe they'll offer to try and fix it, I don't know.

Anyway I am really annoyed that this has happened because I was using it as my MP3 player and Audible player on my commute into work every day, grrr... :evil: Fortunately anything important is either on Outlook on my PC or on storage cards.

StroppyGoblin
09-30-2003, 09:58 AM
Jason, can I ask your opinion on this? You seem to have had experience with both Rom upgrades and have close ties to Compaq (I belive you have tried the Internal only 2003 rom on a 36xx machine) Is there any procedure or particular rom file that I might be able to get to work with the Remote USB app?

I have contacted Compaq about this but
a) they know nothing about the remote usb facility
b) Their promise to contact me regarding possible repair has vanished in the Support system.

Unlike the othe gentleman in this thread, my PPC is well out of warranty, so I need all the help I can get.

StroppyGoblin
10-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Hello... hello...? Mcfly ?

StroppyGoblin
10-14-2003, 11:00 AM
The patient is still critical.. no response so..
*BUMP*

(I really could use some help here guys :| )

David Prahl
10-14-2003, 04:46 PM
Once again - have you asked Pocket PC Techs what they can do? They might be able to bring it back to life.

StroppyGoblin
10-14-2003, 06:04 PM
yep, sent an email with all the details - Got a reply asking basically to send the unit to the states via a UK partner. No idea of costs to send or repair. I prefer to cover any other possible avenues before resorting to this.

PetiteFlower
10-14-2003, 07:01 PM
Don't you think if anyone had answers they would have posted them the first two times you posted/bumped this? There are a lot of knowledgable people here but we are not magicians.

JustinGTP
10-15-2003, 02:33 AM
No one said that we are magicians, it is allowed to bump your post so that, for example, a really smart person happened to miss it and then when it was bumped he saw it and helped him out.

Petiteflower, you have to calm down the hostility! :D :D

-Justin 8)

PetiteFlower
10-15-2003, 04:29 AM
That wasn't hostility, and bumping is generally discouraged on this board. Maybe once I can see but twice? If no one could help the first time, and no one could help the second time, the chances of someone being able to help on the third time are pretty slim, I think.

StroppyGoblin
10-15-2003, 01:50 PM
This group receives a lot of posts on an almost hourly basis. It's not uncomon for a thread to be quickly dropped down to the 2nd or even 3rd or 4th page after merely a day. I personally have a life outside of this forum and only get to access it perhaps once a day. Consequently I cannot read every new post. As I belive there are others like me who tend to read only the most recent posts, my intention was to give it some more 'airtime' If you recognise the Thread title and wern't interested - don't read it, It's your choice.

Jason Dunn
10-16-2003, 02:31 PM
I've never had this problem, sorry. And I haven't used a 3600 series iPAQ in ages, so I'm very rusty when it comes to trouble-shooting things like this. But there are a lot of threads on Pocket PC Passion (http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/search.php?s=d66560f7d7d173ccbe5526f74e79f0c5&action=showresults&searchid=305170&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending) about this, so check them out.

Jason Dunn
10-16-2003, 02:34 PM
Thread locked so it doesn't get bumped again - bumping something twice is not cool. :?