View Full Version : Must Have Software for New Users? Please advise

noworries
09-26-2003, 05:20 AM
I have $50 GC to spend at Handango http://www.handango.com/.

At this point I have only the standard suite of software that comes with my pocket pc. Any suggestions on which software's are a "must have"...for those of you who have purchased software?

In advance thank you for the suggestions.

Newbie :?: [/url]

TopDog
09-26-2003, 07:33 AM
It totally depends on what you think you'll use your PPC for...

See if the Pocket Outlook calendar and tasks is enough for you, if it's not, spend some money on either Agenda Fusion or Pocket Informant. (try them both first and go with the one that is most you)

A password/creditcard/you name it protection application like eWallet or Flexiwallet would be high up on my list. There is a very good review of the three most popular here at PPCT.

A game, I would by a good quality game. Depending on what's your game, I would choose either Rayman Ultimate, Worms, Zio Golf 2 (and throw in some extra courses) or a good chess-game. Hours of fun, and more important; really something to show-off with ;-)

If you plan on using GPRS or WLAN a lot, take a look at GPRS Monitor or IP Dashboard to monitor your connection.

I think I've reached the $50 limit now :-)

Otherwise there are LOTS of freeware out there, so I always search for similar freeware before I buy something.

qmrq
09-26-2003, 07:41 AM
This question was asked some weeks ago.. the list is still fresh. ;) Use search or browse through software forum and see if you can find the thread.

disconnected
09-26-2003, 04:06 PM
One nice thing about Handango is that, with most things, you can try before you buy, so you can play with lots of stuff before you have to make up your mind.

I wouldn't want to be without Resco Explorer; it's much better than the file explorer that comes with the PPC. Currently it's available in a "Utility Package" with a picture viewer and task manager for thirty dollars.

I also like games that don't require much in the way of time, dexterity, or thinking. I'm currently addicted to Cropped Out, which is ten dollars. (I'd also recommend using a screen protector if you play a lot of games).

Both of the above have trial versions.

hillstrom
09-26-2003, 04:19 PM
Itīs so easy..... :-)

Pocket Informant
Vito Soundexplorer
Repligo

Good luck!

XLP
10-04-2003, 06:45 AM
Another software you might want to seriously consider is SPB's Pocket Plus. It extends the Pocket PC's main functions, like the "really close" function (allowing you to close applicaions just by tapping the 'close' button),repeating alarm, task manager,pIE enhancements (fullscreen mode, multiple windows) It also has a today screen plug-in showing you the battery power left, storage card space and volume control and program shortcuts. At only US$9.99 so its very well worth. www.softspb.com