View Full Version : What's your take on these computer systems?

Jonathan1
09-25-2003, 04:03 PM
OK for the last few months I've been trolling around macrumors.com in hopes of an impending G5 PowerBook announcement. Obviously not going to happen for a while. In my travels there a discussion broke out recently about a new web site that provides Uber PCs.
The site being: www.go-l.com

The biggest complaint is that it was a total rip-off of Apple's site :roll: Get over it. Once the discussion on the actual site died down discussion on the actual hardware started in earnest.

The systems on that site are almost beyond belief. While the laptops are well within the realm of possibilities the desktops are insane both in price and specs.

The basic architecture of the system can be found here:
http://www.go-l.com/desktops/machl38/architecture/index.htm

First and foremost the specs for all desktops include something called puRAM that is basically a huge solid state drive that stores the OS and other applications files. In addition to that part of the OS is supposedly loaded into RAM on BOOT allowing for faster sys performance. There are "supposedly" a whole host of other features that are designed to make these systems speed demons. And trust me you pay through the nose for this. The Mach 3.5 starts at $3000 and tops off at $6400 The Mach 3.8 starts at a mind boggling $4000 and tops off at an insane $7800. (All without a monitor which they also have with something called a Grand Canyon at 92" wide and weighing in at $17,500. Ouch. My car cost only a bit more then that.

The big debate is/was does this company exist. Google searching any info on the company, the devices, the founder of the company returns almost no info. There's some somewhat sketchy things about this site and its company that doesn't 't make sense.

So I was wondering what's your take on this? If nothing else those computer systems look bad***. *drools*

Jason Dunn
09-25-2003, 04:20 PM
Wow. 8O Totally crazy...I've never heard of these guys either, but they have some amazing stuff on their site...

entropy1980
09-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Nope I don't buy it.... a 92" screen? this sounds more like a college students project for a class in web design...although it would nice

CTSLICK
09-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Whoa :crazyeyes: I would love to see some reviews on their laptops. Its not that I really NEED all that horsepower but...well...ya' know... :rock on dude!:

Jason Dunn
09-25-2003, 05:12 PM
I've emailed the editor of Maximum PC - that's the only magazine I would trust to look into this...

Jonathan1
09-25-2003, 05:57 PM
Thanks Jason. The site was registered back in March of this year so maybe its that they haven't really gotten things in order yet. I just can't see a company like this not sending out their products to every computer review mag on the planet. Benchmarks on a SS drive would go through the roof and as I had mentioned in the Mac forums would probably blow a G5 out of the water and orbit the sucker.
The only drawback I see is the price. 3 grand as a minimum seems way overkill but if you are someone who's in an industry where you need that horsepower $7,500 might be small change when you consider the price of a high end Dell workstation.

I do hope this site is legit. The systems are easily :jawdrop:

JackTheTripper
09-25-2003, 06:05 PM
I don't know why, but I've been poking around for a while about this and found this....

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/09/25/liebermann/index.php?redirect=1064472857000

As far as price, if these truely are for video and audio editing then the price would be worth it.

Jonathan1
09-25-2003, 06:52 PM
Huh. Looks like they finally spoke up. I still want to see benchmarks on this sucker. WOOT! 8O

Bruno Figueiredo
09-25-2003, 07:19 PM
B*tchin...

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Oh man give me a bucket...

Janak Parekh
09-26-2003, 01:09 AM
Whoa. 8O If they do open a showroom here, I'll have to go visit it -- the website is hardly believable.

BTW, I guarantee a lawsuit or at least a cease-and-desist from Apple: the logo on http://www.go-l.com/technology/af/index.html is a direct ripoff.

--janak