View Full Version : Themes and theme makers

aximmanx5
09-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Hello, i have a dell axim advanced with ppc 2003. I make many themes using microsoft theme generator, but i have found no way to change the color of the start menu font. does anybody know of a program that will do this? Thanks

prismejon
09-24-2003, 09:29 PM
There's no problem to change the font color in the start menu using MS theme generator:
- Just select "Navigation Bar" in the "Select your theme's colors" drop-down-list
- Click on the "Text" color box and select color

Good luck!

aximmanx5
09-24-2003, 11:32 PM
Incorrect sir, by doing that it changes the font on the navigation bar, i want to change the color of the font in the start menu, every theme i have the color is black, and black doesn't work well with dark themes which i am notorius for. Thanks for your imput though. Everybody else CHIME IN!!!
Peace

Dave Beauvais
09-25-2003, 01:42 AM
ThemeMaker Pro Plus (http://www.thememaker.biz/thememakerproplus.htm) from KAMware can do what you want. I've never used this myself, but I know lots of folks like it.

--Dave

prismejon
09-25-2003, 07:40 AM
Incorrect sir, by doing that it changes the font on the navigation bar, i want to change the color of the font in the start menu, every theme i have the color is black, and black doesn't work well with dark themes which i am notorius for.

Ok, so your not talking about the start menu, but the "New" menu then?

Dave Beauvais
09-25-2003, 08:06 AM
Here are a few definitions: Navigation Bar: The bar at that top of the Pocket PC display where the clock, volume control, window title, and Start button are located. Start menu: The drop-down menu that pops up when you tap the Start button on the Navigation Bar. Menu Bar/Status Bar: The bar along the bottom of the Pocket PC display which commonly contains application menus, the input method button, and occasionally some additional icons when the Today Screen is displayed.Hopefully that will clear up some of the confusion here.

--Dave

TopDog
09-25-2003, 12:23 PM
It's not possible to change the font on the start-menu on PPC2002 without hackin' a little bit with ex. Snoopsoft Colorme... is it possible on PPC2003?

...still waiting for that upgrade CD :evil:

disconnected
09-25-2003, 04:46 PM
At least some of the theme generators let you make the text more visible by making the background of the start menu lighter, even if it's the same picture as the whole theme. I know I didn't express that very clearly, but it's the best I can do. :oops:

TopDog
09-26-2003, 07:43 AM
At least some of the theme generators let you make the text more visible by making the background of the start menu lighter, even if it's the same picture as the whole theme. I know I didn't express that very clearly, but it's the best I can do. :oops:
Like I've done in this theme?
http://www.pocketthemes.com/tempthemes/Top_Dog/PT-New_Mini_Red.jpg
I've created this with the Standard Microsoft Theme Generator v.2

disconnected
09-26-2003, 03:43 PM
Yes, exactly. That's much clearer, thanks. :)

Jimmy Dodd
09-26-2003, 04:05 PM
Are there any theme makers that let you specify the background image used in Pocket Outlook in PPC 2003?

Dave Beauvais
09-26-2003, 05:32 PM
Are there any theme makers that let you specify the background image used in Pocket Outlook in PPC 2003?
I don't think so. It seems to be a predefined "image" that changes color based on the color of the right end of the title bar.

--Dave

Jimmy Dodd
09-26-2003, 07:24 PM
I don't think so. It seems to be a predefined "image" that changes color based on the color of the right end of the title bar.

--Dave

I don't know about getting the color from the title bar. Other than the "new" 2003 WindowsMobile themes (default/blue, green, yellow, orange) I can't get it to show any color other than blue (which is maybe the default color?), regardless of what the title bar color is.

Dave Beauvais
09-26-2003, 08:16 PM
I don't know about getting the color from the title bar. ... I can't get it to show any color other than blue ...
You're right. I looked a little closer at a mostly green theme I made and the list background is still blue. (As is the selected item highlight, whch has always bugged me.) Oops! I sit corrected. :)

--Dave

Jimmy Dodd
09-26-2003, 08:29 PM
I don't know about getting the color from the title bar. ... I can't get it to show any color other than blue ...
You're right. I looked a little closer at a mostly green theme I made and the list background is still blue. (As is the selected item highlight, whch has always bugged me.) Oops! I sit corrected. :)

--Dave

I'm guessing that there is at least an extra value in the new themes that specifies this "mystery" color. I am also guessing that it defaults to blue. I wonder why MS hasn't published a new format or an "official" theme maker for 2003? :?

Dave Beauvais
09-26-2003, 08:49 PM
An even better question is why they don't just build that functionality into the OS as they have with every Windows version on the desktop. Give us the ability to change colors, Today wallpaper, etc. right on the device without having to use a separate piece of software on a PC to create a theme.

--Dave

oe1kenobi
09-27-2003, 04:37 AM
Yes, Windows Mobile 2003 adds 6 (or 7) new entries to the .tsk format. Get my ThemeBuilder 2003 (http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=163545#post163545) package to be able to edit them all (and 4 other ones that PPC 2002 uses but doesn't let you change, and use any size image you want, and use any image format you want, etc.)

New Color Entries for 2003 themes
Notes/Tasks/etc List background color left 1
Notes/Tasks/etc List background color left 2
Notes/Tasks/etc List background color right 1
Notes/Tasks/etc List background color right 2
Start Menu text
Tap-and-hold dots
one other color that Spiral.tsk uses but I'm not sure what it is for. If you find out, tell me.

-Richard L. Owens

Jimmy Dodd
09-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Yes, Windows Mobile 2003 adds 6 (or 7) new entries to the .tsk format. Get my ThemeBuilder 2003 (http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=163545#post163545) package to be able to edit them all ...

Thanks Richard, you just saved me loads of time digging around looking for an answer. Having access to the colors via the Registry will allow me to create a brush and add the same background effect to my apps.

Thanks again! :D

oe1kenobi
09-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Keep in mind that when there is a Pocket PC 2002 version theme loaded there won't be an entry in the registry for the background colors, so you'll have to use the default ones (which might be stored somewhere else in the registry in WM 2003 devices).

What are you going to do on PPC 2002 devices that have a WM 2003-version theme loaded? They will have the entries in the registry, I think, so do you want them to have the WM 2003-look?

Glad to be help.

-Richard L. Owens

Jimmy Dodd
09-30-2003, 08:08 PM
What are you going to do on PPC 2002 devices that have a WM 2003-version theme loaded? They will have the entries in the registry, I think, so do you want them to have the WM 2003-look?

I haven't gotten that far. I'm still trying to figure out how to do the gradient in Windows CE without LinearGradientBrush... :roll: