View Full Version : 2210 or 5555 ?

nuvo
09-24-2003, 01:19 PM
hi,

I have never used a PDA or a pocket Pc before and i am planning to purchase an ipaq. Which do you think is better for me 2210 or 5555?

Mainly i will be using Word files to write articles and Internet Explorer to send mail and i hope to use ipaq instead of carrying around my notebook around

any suggestions?.

nuvo.

Andy Roberts
09-24-2003, 01:36 PM
Okay if its just mainly for the above needs then I would suggest the 2210, why you scream:

* Smaller and lighter than the latter
* Built in CF as CF is cheaper to obtain than SD
* Cheeper
* The less everyday needs gizmos the longer the device will last.
* its more of an Jornarda than an Ipaq
* Far better paint work than the latter (my 5 series has scratches and gashes down the side of the paint work due to the flip case).

But hey thats my 2 pence!

Pocket PC Dubai
09-24-2003, 04:36 PM
I think you should wait for the H4xxx series, which is coming soon!

BarryB
09-24-2003, 06:58 PM
I agree with Andy Roberts. I picked up both in the store, but went with the 2215 because it was lighter. I also have a CF wifi card and wanted to be able to access additional memory at the same time.

I've had the 2215 since Friday and I really like it a lot.

nuvo
09-24-2003, 07:45 PM
Hi again, :D :rotfl: :2gunfire:

Thanks guys, i think i will go for the 2210.
What if i want to discard my notebook altogether?
Which one is a better replacement for a laptop?
:D
THanks [/u]

stonepro
09-24-2003, 09:43 PM
I had the 5450, then it broke (fell). I got a 2215. I love its size and speed, but...

I use WIFI ALOT at home. I CANT stand having to remember to bring the Wifi card with me all of the time. I also can't leave it in -- it seems like it will break -- and it's, well, ugly.

So... my 2215 has some defect -- high pitch sound when it's on. Perfect grounds for a return.

Should I return it and get the 5555??? I CAN'T decide!!!

HELP! :cry:

zul277
09-25-2003, 04:12 AM
I'm getting the 2215 with a cf wifi. I know it can be anoying sometimes bringing an extra CF card around but the advantages of the 2215 IMO are
it's size (will be able to fit in my pocket)
weight (same as above)
external anthena is also there on 5555.

Maybe should wait for the 4xxx series.. specifically the 4115 or somwthing like that. No anthena but then again no CF slot.

Andy Roberts
09-25-2003, 08:04 AM
Hmmmm Discarding the laptop for a PPC.......hmmmmmm

even if the PDA is a brilliant tool and easy to carry I still think that no PDA could ever muster the all the power of a laptop.
Pocket PC's MS Apps such as word and excel are grea for text manipulation (spelling?) but to use as your main word processer err sadly no.
That's why I thought you should go with the 2210, its cheap and small n' light enough to warrant you to be able to carry both (laptop) when needs be.

A Pocket PC is a PDA with a smarter brain under its hood compared to a Palm but a laptop is a working tool.
I'm sure others may disagree but I think you may need to keep the laptop, of course saying all this that you already own a laptop.

And just to finish off, I replace my Pocket buddy every year and if your like me you need to buy a new one because the loves leaves and scratches and less memory appears. So stick cheap but good build of a pocket PC is Key.

Keep your lappy friend and buy him a pal!

BarryB
09-25-2003, 12:49 PM
but the advantages of the 2215 IMO are
weight (same as above)

I agree with you, zul. I went with the 2215 for the same reasons. Also, I don't have wifi at my office, so there's no need for me to carry around the wifi card most of the time. Even when I'm somewhere with a hotspot, I'm there on business and too busy to do more than check my email.

nuvo
09-25-2003, 01:43 PM
I'm getting the 2215 with a cf wifi. I know it can be anoying sometimes bringing an extra CF card around but the advantages of the 2215 IMO are
weight (same as above)
external anthena is also there on 5555.

Maybe should wait for the 4xxx series.. specifically the 4115 or somwthing like that. No anthena but then again no CF slot.

What is Wifi? and what are the advantages? Does the 2210 have a phone line slot where i can connect to the internet?

BarryB
09-25-2003, 01:54 PM
What is Wifi? and what are the advantages? Does the 2210 have a phone line slot where i can connect to the internet?

Wifi is a wireless ethernet connection. This can get you to the internet without dialing up using a modem. It's also referred to as 802.11a, 802.11b, or 802.11g. Some PPCs have a built-in radio transmitter/receiver to be able to connect wirelessly. Others require an add-on card to put into the compact flash or secure digital slot on the PPC. The 2210 requires an add-on card.

The 2210 does not have a phone line jack. However, you can purchase a modem card to fit into the compact flash slot. There's probably one for the secure digital slot as well. The modem card does have a phone line jack.