View Full Version : Help for wired network

ddavtian
09-24-2003, 05:02 AM
Hi guys.

I need your help to get my second computer connected.
I use Linksy's router to share dsl connection. I have a laptop (win2000) and a desktop (win98) connected. Both computers share drives and a printer, no problem here. I can ping from one to another, ping to internet etc.

But the browser on desktop cannot "see" the internet. I always get "the page cannot be displayed". I have disabled firewalls on both machines. The same thing.

On the desktop IE and Netscape cannot even see 192.168.1.1, the admin page. I can get to that page on the laptop (or any other page) but don't know much about networking and don't know what to do there.

I'm using an onboard ethernet card in the desktop. When I had another card installed there was no problem. But I needed that pci slot and had to remove the installed card, back to the onboard one. I don't think it's the card because abain I can ping any site and share files.

On both machines I have "automatically detect settings" under IE\tools\connections.

I'm going to call SBC tech support tomorrow.
Meantime any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks,
David

ddavtian
09-24-2003, 05:19 AM
update: talked to SBC online support, they forwarded me to Linksys support :(

DimensionZero
09-24-2003, 08:48 AM
could it be MAC Address filtering?

Sounds kinda funky, but maybe the router isn't allowing you to view sites even tho you can ping sites...

That's the only thing I can think of since you changed your NIC...