View Full Version : WiFi Newbie Security Question

mochegod
09-23-2003, 02:34 AM
I recently set up a home wireless network and added a Belkin wireless adapter card to my IPAQ 2215. It works very well, but I am concerned about evildoers being able to access the computers on my network. The few articles I've read suggest enabling 128-bit WEP encryption. Both my wireless router and network card would seem to support this. However, once the encryption is enabled, although I am apparently establishing a link to the router, I can no longer connect to any websites. I can't imagine that this is normal, so I must be doing something wrong.

Can anyone suggest a solution or resource that explains why this might be happening. Any general suggestions on creating a more secure home wifi environment would also be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I've only had my PPC for a few weeks, and so far, these forums have been invaluable. Big Thanks to all who participate for the wealth of information shared here!

Dave O

bigkingfun
09-23-2003, 05:25 AM
As far as the WEP encryption goes, make sure you have the encryption keys set the same on the router and the network card. Having said that, I've had problems getting WEP to work properly on my D-Link AP with my 5450 as well. I use the MAC address filtering function on my access point to block access to any device except the ones I specify.

Your wireless adapter will have a unique MAC address which could either be on a sticker on the card itself or will be available in the networking settings on the iPAQ. If your wireless router supports MAC filtering, you just need to set it up to block access to all addresses except the one for your iPAQ (and any other wireless devices you want to use).

DubWireless
09-23-2003, 03:15 PM
Any general suggestions on creating a more secure home wifi environment would also be greatly appreciated.

here's a general security tutorial:
http://www.vbnets.com/tutorials/security.html

some of the points are aimed at corporate customers with private networks and encryprion servers - but there are many basic steps applicable to everyone

my home set-up:
change defauolt access point admin user/password
change default name (SSID) of the access point
hide the name (SSID) of the access point (closed network)
set up an MAC Address access control list (limit the network adapters that can connect)
limit the number IP address available (DHCP pool)
use a custom IP address range (rather than 10.0.1.x etc.)
turn on 128 WEP
tweaked position and transmit power of AP so as not to leak to public areas outside the house (using standard equipment)

even so, a determined person with a directional antenna and enough time could break in - however the hurdles above increases the time/effort required to do so

adding a VPN or encryption system into my home setup would be more time/expense/effort then it's worth - but that's the individual judgement call each person has to make in relation to what they are trying to secure, of couse i'd have a different call to make if it was in a corporate environment