View Full Version : Pocketpcpassion down?

gai-jin
09-22-2003, 05:26 PM
When I try to get to pocketpcpassion, I'm instead redirected to verisign's new 'this isn't a real domain' page, w/ the search engine and such. (odd, I search using their engine, it finds ppcpassion, but won't take me to it! Thanks Verisign! :P)

Anyone else able to hit their site today?

Jolard
09-22-2003, 05:33 PM
Just tried it and got in fine.

Maybe your ISP's domain server is having problems. Something like that?

Dave Beauvais
09-22-2003, 05:35 PM
The following post appears on the Pocket PC Passion front page:

Pocket PC Passion is down?
Well if if we didn't have bad luck than we wouldn't have any luck at all ;) Well if I thought the website was finished with Murphy's Law check it out again... Even though I moved my domain name several weeks ago to a new registrar something went haywire and didn't work exactly correct. I am able to see the site fine just as some of you can but the majority are unable to hit the site as of this last weekend due to a "registrar hold" I am working on it today to get it corrected as soon as possible. The sad news is the people that need to see this news aren't able to read it anyway :(

karinatwork
09-22-2003, 05:37 PM
I too am having problems. For the last few days, whenever I type in http://www.pocketpcpassion.com , all I get is

"We didn't find: "www.pocketpcpassion.com"
There is no Web site at this address.

Hmmm, strange. :confused totally:

vovillamor
09-22-2003, 05:39 PM
When I try to get to pocketpcpassion, I'm instead redirected to verisign's new 'this isn't a real domain' page, w/ the search engine and such. (odd, I search using their engine, it finds ppcpassion, but won't take me to it! Thanks Verisign! :P)

Anyone else able to hit their site today?

I got the same screen last night when I tried to visit their site. This morning at work, though, IE gives me the "page not found" white screen, not the verisign page.

There's a reply to a thread I'm trying to view. I hope PocketPCPassion comes up soon, and I hope there isn't anything terribly wrong with the site. It (along with this website) is at the top of my PocketPC IE bookmarks...

Janak Parekh
09-22-2003, 05:44 PM
For what it's worth, pocketpcpassion.com's registration expired a few days ago. I just checked and it's renewed and active. I can now get the IP address for pocketpcpassion.com, but the server doesn't respond -- so we have multiple cascading failures here. :(

I've already communicated this to Dave (Paragon), and he's aware and is working with Dale to resolve it. Let's hope it's back up soon. :)

Update: You can manually hit the server via http://66.132.157.70 -- the updated DNS hasn't completely propagated. However, some of the links on the site use the DNS name, so it might not be fully useable. (We need to get Dale a full-time hostmaster ;))

--janak

manywhere
09-22-2003, 07:19 PM
:!: Warning :!: Doing this may cause problems! You are doing this at your own risk.

There is a temporary work-around for that. In Windows, there is a HOSTS file located in the following directories:
Windows 95/98/Me: c:\windows\
Windows NT/2000/XP: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\
Where "c:\windows\" is the location in which Windows is installed.
Open the HOSTS file in notepad or create it in notepad. Note that the file does not have a dot (.) anywhere in the name.
In the HOSTS file, copy and paste the following:

# Pocket PC Passion Temporary Fix
66.132.157.70 pocketpcpassion.com

Save the file. It should work, but I cannot guarantee that. :| (Edit: A restart is not required. Thanks for the info Janak! :) )

Also: After the DNS problem has been solved, remove the lines from the HOSTS file to assure proper function. DO NOT remove any other lines in the HOSTS line, unless you know what you're doing. :roll:

Good Luck! :wink:

Janak Parekh
09-22-2003, 07:46 PM
manywhere, that's a total hack. :lol: But an effective one. You shouldn't need to reboot, BTW.

--janak

Paragon
09-22-2003, 07:47 PM
I have come to the conclusion that the infamous Mr. Murphy (of Murphy's Law) lives full time in Albuquerque New Mexico. It seems that with all the other problems Dale has had with the site the notifications for the renewal were missed when Dale's email server was down for quite some time. They turned out the lights!

I'm figuring it's about time for Murphy to move along. I think all those nice people sending me the Microsoft udates could use a visit from him about now. :D

Janak, thanks for posting this.

Dave

Janak Parekh
09-22-2003, 07:48 PM
Dave -- I thought it was just more that the DNS gods don't like Dale. :lol:

--janak

donkthemagicllama
09-22-2003, 08:41 PM
I get the verisign page if i try go to pocketpcpassion.com, but no problems if i try www.pocketpcpassion.com

easylife
09-22-2003, 09:19 PM
I get the verisign page if i try go to pocketpcpassion.com, but no problems if i try www.pocketpcpassion.com
I get VeriSign either way. :( The IP works for me though! :way to go:

Gremmie
09-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Dale, you would enjoy this article about the origins of Murphy's Law...
http://www.improb.com/airchives/paperair/volume9/v9i5/murphy/murphy0.html

Paragon
09-22-2003, 10:34 PM

--janak

You would think he has a good line directly to the Gods wouldn't you. Apparently even God has no control over VeriSign. :D

Dave

Paragon
09-22-2003, 10:35 PM
Cool link Gremmie! I'll pass it along.

Dave

Gremmie
09-23-2003, 06:15 AM

--janak

You would think he has a good line directly to the Gods wouldn't you. Apparently even God has no control over VeriSign. :D

Dave

Oh? You mean ICANN? :lol: