View Full Version : Travel photographers...mmm

Prevost
09-22-2003, 02:52 AM
In my recent trip to Europe, I saw such an amount of crazyness in photographic I just got wondering what would all those find out once they develop (or download) their pictures...and almost felling their pain in advance.

I saw people with this kind of rather high-end equipment including outboard flashes...getting night scenes of the city USING THE FLASH!...and not even checking the LCD in the digital cameras to at least find that they where doing something wrong...

Stubborn people insisting in the use of flash inside Sixtine Chapel and the rest of Vatican Museum where it is prohibited for the damage the intense light causes to paintings...

And, the worst, not being able to find anybody competent enough to give him my camera to get myself into at least one of my pictures!!!

Flash is not for every picture. In fact, flash is just for a very limited number of shots. While in travel, most of photos are landscapes and in this cirmumstances, flash is nonsense.

I am not a pro, but I learnt the above enough to have gotten some good pictures (night and day ones) and to think of buying something above my A60 for my next trip.

And guess what? I even found someone taking pictures inside St Peter's WITH A PALM ZIRE 71! Nuts :twisted: !!!

Janak Parekh
09-22-2003, 03:49 AM
:lol:

Indeed, the non-use of flash is a skill that most people haven't mastered (I at least know that I don't have to use it, although my non-flash skill could still use more improvement).

On the other hand, you do need a decent-quality camera to get away with non-flash shots. A lot of the CCDs in small digital cameras need either a lot of light or a long exposure time, and as such non-flash shots frequently get blurred.

--janak

Kati Compton
09-22-2003, 06:35 AM
I find it very irritating that I have to turn off the flash every time I turn on my camera. Why can't it remember my settings?? Grr.

Oh, and while I can turn OFF the flash, I can't turn ON the flash. There's only "automatic". So if I'm trying to take a picture of someone standing in shadows against a backdrop of bright sky... too bad.

Janak Parekh
09-22-2003, 03:54 PM
Oh, and while I can turn OFF the flash, I can't turn ON the flash. There's only "automatic". So if I'm trying to take a picture of someone standing in shadows against a backdrop of bright sky... too bad.
8O 8O What camera do you have? I've worked with a Canon Powershot S230 and a Casio Exilim S2 fairly extensively, and both support flash-on, flash-off, redeye reduction, and one other mode when not in auto.

--janak

Kati Compton
09-22-2003, 06:22 PM
8O 8O What camera do you have? I've worked with a Canon Powershot S230 and a Casio Exilim S2 fairly extensively, and both support flash-on, flash-off, redeye reduction, and one other mode when not in auto.
A Canon Powershot A20 or something like that. I have off, auto, and red-eye modes.

Janak Parekh
09-22-2003, 07:51 PM
A Canon Powershot A20 or something like that. I have off, auto, and red-eye modes.
Ah. Well, make sure to budget a new (real) camera when you have a new (real) salary. ;)

--janak

DimensionZero
09-22-2003, 08:40 PM
Haha, yes, I am slowyl mastering the art of non-flash photography. My poor Canon S20 goes almost EVERYWHERE I do (lives in the glovebox of my car)... I've got a little tripod which fits perfectly in the camera bag, and does a fairly good job. My only beef is that with the flash off, I can't take pictures without the tripod, I guess I just don't have steady hands. :D

Prevost
09-22-2003, 08:41 PM
A Canon Powershot A20 or something like that. I have off, auto, and red-eye modes.Although I second Janak in his suggestion :mrgreen: , I'll tell you to look in the shooting dial (the round dial by the LCD) and check if there is a "P" (stands for "Program") If it's so, then use your camera in this setting, that allows you to set once for all the flash off, and turn it on or auto modes only if you need it. I have used an A20 but I do not remember exactly which shooting settings are available, hence I just advise you as above. Let us know how you do.

However be warned that in the "P" mode Canon cameras tend to auto select a picture size of 1600x1200 or something like that. This renders pictures about 400KB in size each, meaning less photos in your CF card.
Indeed, the non-use of flash is a skill that most people haven't mastered (I at least know that I don't have to use it, although my non-flash skill could still use more improvement).

On the other hand, you do need a decent-quality camera to get away with non-flash shots. A lot of the CCDs in small digital cameras need either a lot of light or a long exposure time, and as such non-flash shots frequently get blurred. It's true, but I have read and used this helpful tip: to take advantage of any structure to rest the camera against in order to keep it steady. In many cases, you can attain this by resting the camera against a wall, a column, or even the floor.

maximus
09-23-2003, 02:48 AM
I hate tripods, so a very important thing that I learn from my early photography class: How to have a steady hands. Very important in those low ambient light, telephoto shots. Basically it involves a set of finger movements that we have to exercise on daily basis. It really helps in removing those irritating subconscious arm/finger movement during picture taking.

Ah. Well, make sure to budget a new (real) camera when you have a new (real) salary. ;)

--janak

Heheh. Mean Janak. I have to agree with him though, try getting a camera with fill-mode flash, and several programmable buttons that lets you store your preference. Button 1: Night mode, ASA 400, no flash, shutter priority. Button 2: Night mode, ASA 200, flash, exposure priority. etc.