View Full Version : Sony UX50 - disappointed

Fzara
09-21-2003, 10:55 PM
Alright, earlier this week I was actually crazy about buying the Sony UX50, yes, I know, a Palm OS device, so I actually went into Compusa to check it.

My final point? I can now see what there are so many more Palm users going to the Pocket PC platform. Sheesh! Theres twenty million icons on the UI, and applications are impossible to navigate with these small little icons.

Almost glad I didn't buy it; What really attracts me to it is the dual wireless, 6oz, thin, clamshell device with landscape mode.

The days when I still defended Palm are over. Seems like they went downhill from the easy to use Palm OS4 when they transitioned to OS5.
Like the opposite of someone who said something on the PIC forums, A Pocket PC in one hand, is worth 3 Palms in a pocket.

Prevost
09-22-2003, 01:18 AM
I haven' seen this Sony overhere, but AFAIK Sony gives the UI certain twist that gives it a more, I'll say, Windows-like looks. What I don't know is if it actually works as Windows does.

In a conventional OS5 device, like Tungstens or Zire71, there is no overabundance of tiny icons.

I just have seen and tasted an iPAQ 2210 and liked it. As a truth, I am already dreaming. But still just cannot understand why people keeps saying Palm OS is not easy nor intuitive. I bought my m515 second hand with no manuals, and started using it in zero time. And Programs launch faster in my 33MHz Dragonball m515 than in the 400MHz iPAQ. Minor annoyance, but a fact.

In the case of PocketPC users, I guess they find Palms hard to use simply because they look for features that simply aren't there anywhere... :mrgreen:

Fzara
09-22-2003, 01:59 AM
I don't know how I was able to work without multi-tasking a couple years ago...heh.

The camera of the UX50 however was amazingly clear-Paired with the high res screen, this device is a killer: if it weren't for the Palm OS.

Prevost
09-22-2003, 02:36 AM
I don't know how I was able to work without multi-tasking a couple years ago...heh.
Consider the abscence of multitasking as something that made you give the best you can...open an app, realize you needed info from another one, close the app, open the other one, MEMORIZE the info and close the second app, return the first one and WRITE DOWN the info... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, you could use copy + paste feature... :mrgreen:

Still think Palms and Palm OS is very good. I long for the PPC mostly for the chance to use it as a blueprint replacement. Also, I already see my reliable m515 as out of date.

Who knows? I also like the T2...

Kati Compton
09-22-2003, 06:37 AM
FYI - I changed the topic title to reflect what was being discussed...