View Full Version : Best practices for a hard reset?

SofaTater
09-21-2003, 08:18 PM
I need to hard reset my HP 1910 -- it's been acting progressively buggy, and now I can't get past the password screen on power-up. I've never needed to hard reset it before, so this will be a first for me...

Can anyone point me to a site or discussion with an overview of hard reset best practices? I don't really want to just restore from my latest backup because I'll just be restoring the same problems I had before.

Just looking for some general guidelines and gotchas I should be aware of before nuking my PPC configs...

Sven Johannsen
09-22-2003, 01:58 AM
and now I can't get past the password screen on power-up. ...

Well that pretty much kills any of the best practises. Mostly that just involves making sure you have copied off anything important. Normally you have two choices, backup and restore after the hard reset, which as you say, puts you back where you were. Unless of course you were forethoughtful enough to build the PPC how you want it, programs settings and stuff, and then make a baseline backup.

More realistically, you hard reset and act like this was a brand new PPC you just bought. You will need to delete the partnership if you want to use the same PPC name over. (Desktop AS, File/Delete Partnership. Mobile Device, select the name if Delete Partnership is gray. No PPC on the cradle BTW)

Then just set up the things you wany synced. Hopefully your Outlook stuff is up to date. Programs can be easily reloaded from the AS Tools, Add/Remove programs menu. Just check the ones you want back on the PPC. Technically you can just check them all, but I recommend one at a time so you have more control over locations and can reset the PPC for those apps that require it, without interrupting other installs.