View Full Version : WM 2003 & ClearType - Quick question

Rok
09-20-2003, 11:37 AM
For all happy WM 2003 users out there:

I would like to know if the menu items are also displayed in CT? In PPC 2k2, although the CT support should have been system-wide, the menu items were not displayed with it. For instance, although "File" in Pocket Word was correctly displayed in ClearType, the menu items themselves were not (which irks me quite a bit).

Is this still the case with WM 2003 or is now indeed all the text displayed in ClearType?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Rok

freitasm
09-20-2003, 12:01 PM
Or better still - I can't find anywhere on a H3970 with WM 2003 where to turn CT on!

Dave Beauvais
09-20-2003, 04:59 PM
... I would like to know if the menu items are also displayed in CT? ... is now indeed all the text displayed in ClearType?
I haven't yet found any text that isn't rendered in ClearType, so I guess it truly is a system-wide setting just as it is in Windows XP on the desktop. Even text in games such as Pocket EverQuest uses ClearType, though that's one case in which ClearType isn't that great. A lot of the text in that game now looks really bad. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was annoyed by that in PPC2002. :)

Or better still - I can't find anywhere on a H3970 with WM 2003 where to turn CT on!
On my upgraded h5455, it's in the Screen settings applet on the System tab of Settings. It's a checkbox under the "Align Screen" button.

Another random observation... ClearType in WM2003 looks much nicer than in PPC2002 even in screenshots. The screenshot on the left was made under PPC2002, while the one on the right (or below) is from WM2003. Note the PPC2002 one has all kinds of werid color fringes around the edge of the text.

http://www.beauvais1.com/images/ppc/bad_subject_old.png http://www.beauvais1.com/images/ppc/bad_subject.png

Both use the same font and same font size, but the WM2003 display is much crisper and easier to read.

--Dave

Rok
09-20-2003, 05:27 PM
Thanks for your reply, Dave.
Yet another reason to switch over - now if only HP will let me buy the upgrade for my 3970... Sigh.

Cheers,
Rok

freitasm
09-20-2003, 11:11 PM
On my upgraded h5455, it's in the Screen settings applet on the System tab of Settings. It's a checkbox under the "Align Screen" button.

Nope, nothing on the upgraded H3970. HP doing %$#%#$ :evil: again...

Rok
09-21-2003, 07:56 AM
Nope, nothing on the upgraded H3970. HP doing %$#%#$ :evil: again...

Then you'll have to enable it manually, through registry. The location of the key might have changed in WM 2003, but you'll probably find it. You can't screw it too much by adding the relevant DWORD in the wrong place anyway - if it doesn't work, delete it and try again. Here's the link. (http://www.phm.lu/PocketPC/RegTweaks/Tweak.asp?ref=54) Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rok

freitasm
09-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Thanks Rok. I have RegKing 2003 and it does it. The thing is that it should be there on the Screen aplet anyway...

kfluet
10-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Thanks Rok. I have RegKing 2003 and it does it. The thing is that it should be there on the Screen aplet anyway...

Hey, did it actually enable ClearType system-wide for you in WM2003 on a 3970? I tried this and it doesn't do anything.

freitasm
10-02-2003, 09:02 PM
No it didn't... Not like the newer ipaqs...

pocketpcfox
10-03-2003, 12:56 AM
I also tried it just the other day on my 2210... no change whatsoever.

Another method anyone?

Rok
10-04-2003, 09:47 AM

Another method anyone?

Unless I'm completely out of my mind (which is a real possibility), after "enabling" CT through the registry, the Screen applet in Control Panel expanded a bit and now includes a single checkbox to enable the ClearType. And, it works (3970 with WM2003).

There's still no CT tuning option though.

Weird. :?

Cheers,
Rok

pocketpcfox
11-12-2003, 04:31 PM

Another method anyone?

Unless I'm completely out of my mind (which is a real possibility), after "enabling" CT through the registry, the Screen applet in Control Panel expanded a bit and now includes a single checkbox to enable the ClearType. And, it works (3970 with WM2003).

There's still no CT tuning option though.

Weird. :?

Cheers,
Rok

I found a quick solution to getting cleartype to work with pocket internet explorer, anyhow... Just use/buy multiie (a nice app) and chose options/page/registry settings/ and click enable cleartype, then click save&reboot. Works like a charm, even after I tried the same thing directly on the registry. Hmmm......