View Full Version : Can't open encrypted books on PPC

jonat8
09-20-2003, 10:38 AM
Hi,

A few months ago I bought some MS Reader e-books from Barnes and Noble.com. Activated my reader on the desktop and on my PPC (Toshiba e740) and the books worked fine on both.

Now I am trying to buy some books from the Yahoo! Digital Book Store. The books will open fine on my desktop PC but the PPC gives me the error "Microsoft Reader is no longer able to access the book."

I've tried reinstalling Reader, reactivating and recopying the books over from the desktop PC. But still no luck.

The books I bought a few months ago from B and N work fine still.

It's not just limited to books from the Yahoo! store, I get the same error when I try to open one of the freebies on Microsoft's site, but again, it opens fine on the desktop PC.

I am using the same Passport, the e-mail address I entered when paying for my Yahoo! books matches my Passport e-mail address and so on so I can't see what is wrong! I have the latest version of Reader according to the Microsoft Reader website.

The only thing I can think of is that I activated my Pocket PC for Audible content a few days ago, and have 1 audiobook on a flash card that plays fine in Microsoft Reader.

Please help!
Thanks in advance

Jonathan :)

Kati Compton
09-20-2003, 04:35 PM
I know you said you had what the site said was the most up-to-date version of Reader, but just in case you meant the PC version (though probably not):

Are you reinstalling the same version of Reader on the PPC from before, or did you install the new version that came out recently?

Excalliber
09-20-2003, 08:19 PM
I had the same problem... Until i used the program "convert lit" to change them to unencrypted files. Just make sure you don't distribute the books after they are unencrypted, and it should be fine.

Edit: Another plus is that you don't have to install the new reader and take up RAM.

ChristopherTD
09-20-2003, 09:22 PM
I have had this problem since upgrading my iPaq 5450 to WM 2003. I haven't been able to pin it down, but one thing that someone suggested was to put the ebook you are reading into main memory, not on a memory card. This seemed to stop the problem for me.

It seemed to occur when the iPaq had been shut down with Reader open. When you turned it on again, the problem manifested itself after reading a few pages.

I have the latest Reader, but I never saw this problem with the latest reader under PPC 2002.