View Full Version : Dueling Reviews of SplashPhoto from SplashData - Palm and Pocket PC Versions

Jason Dunn
09-20-2003, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=1627' target='_blank'>http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=1627</a><br /><br /></div>BargainPDA has done an interesting comparison between the same program running on both the Palm and Pocket PC platform. Guess which platform did better. :twisted: <br /><br />"So many software packages are now being made in both Pocket PC and Palm versions. This poses a unique problem for us, as sometimes an application is great on one platform but not the other. Well this time we've got you covered, take a look at SplashPhoto from two angles. In the Pocket PC corner we have Michael Harrison, weighing in with an up-side-down look at the software. And in the Palm OS corner we have Mark Stephenson, who's from the UK, which naturally makes him up-side-down, or reversed or somthing of that nature. And on to the reviews..."

szamot
09-20-2003, 05:55 PM
Rhetorical question – naturally we all know who was kicking butt and who was on the receiving end of that exercise.

Timothy Rapson
09-20-2003, 06:44 PM
I have Resco Photo on my Clie NR70V and had it for a week on the Zayo I had for a week last month.

It is the best photo progam for the Palm OS, the only one that allows any real control of brightness, color and such.

But, the PPC version was miles ahead. I believe the Palm OS hardware is up to the same, but either the development tools are not up to it, or someone is paying PPC developers to develop or something, because from word processing to paintware, I no longer find any program on the Palm that is better than those available on the PPC. I still prefer the Palm OS and my Clie to the Zayo I had, but I sure wish the Palm OS software was up to the level of the WM stuff.

JustinGTP
09-20-2003, 07:41 PM
And all that Palm has is the fact they invented the PDA first.

And thats pretty much it.

-Justin.

hang5lngbd
09-20-2003, 07:48 PM
After reading your post on the front page I assumed that the :twisted: meant that you were upset about the fact that the PPC version was worse. I read the review and understood that the :twisted: meant more of a "heh heh heh, we beat 'em again." I was very pleased to realize my misunderstanding.

So: :twisted: we smoked 'em again.

XmanHP548
09-20-2003, 08:20 PM
Palm invented the PDA? arghg - NO WAY, man!

The Apple Newton was the REAL trailblazing PDA...Once again Apple was ahead of the curve.

:| Sigh - Apple never gets the credit it deserves

Sslixtis
09-20-2003, 09:11 PM
Sigh - Apple never gets the credit it deserves

They do it to themeselves though, so they get no sympathy from me! Even Palm is trying to be competetive these days. :twisted:

prismejon
09-20-2003, 09:21 PM
Once again Apple was ahead of the curve.

They took a lot of credit for inventing the first graphical user inteface - after they stole it from Xerox (Xerox Star)...

griph
09-20-2003, 11:52 PM

They took a lot of credit for inventing the first graphical user inteface - after they stole it from Xerox (Xerox Star)...

You are all wrong! Psion invented the first PDA:

Quote: "Psion was founded in 1980 by its Chairman David Potter ... with a proud history of pioneering new markets for digital products. After three years as a publisher and developer of software for the first home computers, Psion began development of its first hardware product. With the Psion Organiser in 1984, Psion launched the world's first volume-produced handheld computer, inventing and defining the product category."

Microsoft, Palm and Apple were nowhere to be seen back then in the PDA market - there wasn't a PDA market even! ;-)

Jason Dunn
09-21-2003, 01:21 AM
So, um, how about that SplashPhoto hey? :D

Gremmie
09-21-2003, 01:35 AM

You are all wrong! Psion invented the first PDA:

Quote: "Psion was founded in 1980 by its Chairman David Potter ... with a proud history of pioneering new markets for digital products. After three years as a publisher and developer of software for the first home computers, Psion began development of its first hardware product. With the Psion Organiser in 1984, Psion launched the world's first volume-produced handheld computer, inventing and defining the product category."

Microsoft, Palm and Apple were nowhere to be seen back then in the PDA market - there wasn't a PDA market even! ;-)

Well, the comment about Apple taking credit for the GUI was correct.

Go Pocket PC ;)

Duncan
09-21-2003, 01:41 AM

I think you're off topic Jason! :lol:

Foo Fighter
09-21-2003, 01:59 AM

Splashphoto? What is this Splashphoto you speak of? This is clearly a Mac vs. PC thread. :wink:

I use Splashphoto on my PalmOS device, and my Axim...until I upgraded to PPC 2003 (or Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC to be politically correct). Since Microsoft includes a new "Pictures" app, I don't really see a need for Splashphoto any longer. My only complaint is it doesn't seem to include an "Actual Size" feature. That said, SP is still a great application, and is most likely the first of many apps from Splash Data. It's great to see more and more Palm software vendors offer cross platform software. It's also a sign that mobile software developers are no longer hitching their horse solely to PalmOS. A sign of a changing market.

As to the Apple discussion: I'll clear one thing up. Apple didn't steal Xerox's GUI. The executive board at Xerox allowed Apple to interrogate PARC engineers and explore their work (a privilege Apple PAID for).

This discussion is moot. Who cares what Apple pioneered? They are dinosaur that has long since lost its relevance, and despite the glowing media hype, Apple...and Microsoft have done NOTHING to change the face of computing in years. We are living in a status quo "point and click" PC regime. Get used to that fact.

ctmagnus
09-21-2003, 02:20 AM
Since Microsoft includes a new "Pictures" app, I don't really see a need for Splashphoto any longer.

Does SplashPhoto do gifs, though? The Pictures app doesn't. I have Spb Palbum Suite loaded for the purpose of viewing all my pictures.

bradolson
09-21-2003, 03:11 AM
I tried SplashPhoto but currently use Resco. Works much better for my needs.

Brad

qmrq
09-21-2003, 05:43 AM

-Justin.

Apple had the first mass produced PDA, not Palm. Palm has plenty going for them. PalmOS devices are reliable, easy to use, and tend to have better battery life than Pocket PC devices.

Fishie
09-21-2003, 02:34 PM

-Justin.

Apple had the first mass produced PDA, not Palm. Palm has plenty going for them. PalmOS devices are reliable, easy to use, and tend to have better battery life than Pocket PC devices.

Ive owned several PalmOS devices, what youre saying simply is no longer true.
As the hardware progreses and the ability´s of the PalmOS devices increases the batterylife and reliability decreases up to a point where they are worse then PPC´s on both acounts sometimes.
Its not gona get better with OS6 either.

bazza
09-22-2003, 08:53 AM
If you have seriously used both PPC and Palm there is no comparison - PPC simply is better. It almost warrants a new thread to discuss why!!!

Although Palm is moving closer to PPC in terms of creating multi-media devices they are still essentially diaries with glorified "add-ons". Palm users argue that they are simpler (and faster) but so what? :sleeping: At any time only one application is running - and the interface is no comparison. Initially the processors and RAM in PPC really were not adequate to cope with the Windows CE O/S - making them awfully slow, however, the new PPCs with x-scale and 68/128 RAM seem to have compensated. I still think the Sony Clie screen is better than the IPAQ!

All that aside why bother comparing programs across the platforms? I have used Splash Photo and found it to be good for Palm OS but it doesn't compare to Reso Picture Album/Photogenics/Pocket Painter which are all programs I would use before Splash Photo. Anyway, you will never convince a die-hard Palm user that PPC is better or vice-versa. I did the $2000 swap across to Palm for a while (Hardware/Software/Accessories) and learnt an expensive lesson. I now only use PPC and will continue to do so!!!!

:werenotworthy:

Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done.
Andy Rooney (1919 - )