View Full Version : Ipaq 3950 and WiFi

WorldIRC
09-19-2003, 10:12 PM
I currently have a Ipaq 3950 with PPC2002. It will soon have Mobile 2003 on it. Anyways here is my question. I need to add WiFi capabilities to it so that I can connect to my wireless home network and get on the internet with this baby. What are my options. CF? SDIO?. I am new to the PDA world and would appreciate any help. Basically which card should I get for the PDA (I'm not concerned with weight but I would like the cheapest and most effective method). Do I need to by those sleeve's that I heard about. What are they for. Is my PDA compatible with CF, SDIO or both? Thanks for all the help. I hope that I become more active in this forum soon. I am coming from the Howard Forums and in addition to my mobile phone hobby, I am now getting into PDA. Thanks.

shill79
09-19-2003, 10:34 PM
If I recall correctly, the 3950 is NOT SDIO compatible, so you'll need to get:

1) The Compact Flash sleeve OR the Compact Flash Plus Sleeve (has an extra battery in the sleeve)
2) A CF Wi-Fi card

I'll leave it up to someone else to recommend a good CF Wi-Fi card.

phanprod
09-20-2003, 07:59 AM
Actually, I think my 3955 and the 3950 are SDIO capable, but if you're looking for the most cose effective route, the CF sleeve and CF WiFi card are the way to go. And I'd definately recommend the Plus sleeve with the extra battery - WiFi eats up the internal one quite rapidly.

orthopt77
09-24-2003, 06:11 PM
I have a 3955 with expansion battery pack with CF slot. I use an AmbiCom wi-fi card. It has worked great with no problems at all and is very easy to setup. Here is the link for it.
AmbiCom (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384543676&type=product&productCategoryId=cat08017)