View Full Version : Any reason why I SHOULDN'T sell my eBay item to a Canadian?

Scott R
09-19-2003, 05:22 PM
I recently put something up for sale on eBay. Out of habit, I chose the standard option of selling to the continental US only. Yesterday I got an email from a Canadian asking me why I wouldn't sell to Canadian buyers. I don't the reason. Is there a reason?

I took a quick look on eBay and it looks like paying customs/tariffs is the responsibility of the buyer when it arrives. eBay also seemed to suggest that I set up a UPS account as it would prevent things being held up in customs. I'm thinking that if I just tell them that I'll need to double-check the shipping costs before shipping it to him and perhaps require him to use PayPal (so as to simplify the money conversion process), I should be all set. Am I missing something? If not, why would anyone not be willing to ship to Canada? For that matter, why wouldn't someone be willing to ship to any country?

Scott

karen
09-19-2003, 05:34 PM
I used to do a lot of ebay buying. The number one complaint that sellers had in selling to Canada was that they didn't want to spend their time figuring out how it works.

Also:
- you will have to complete a very short customs declaration (what the item is, how much is it worth).

- shipping is takes longer.

- US sellers fear that all foreigners are out to scam them.

- You should insist on a form of payment that works for you (online cc or paywhatever, or a US check DRAWN ON A US BANK. Otherwise, it may cost your more than the item to get your funds.

- If you send via USPS, you will not be able to use their insurance, tracking, or receipt features. So you should use another carrier.

From a buyer's point of view, UPS charges an excessive and unreasonable fee to clear the item through customs (arount $28 US), even if if there is no tariff or duties due. Other carriers charge between$5 and $15 for this. My standard letter I include with my ebay payments is "DO NOT SEND VIA UPS. If you do, I will not accept the delivery." This is always after getting an e-mail from the seller promising that they will ship via another carrier. Half the time sellers ignore this promise, BTW. UPS is great for the seller and hell for the buyer. UPS also takes days longer to process the item across the border. highly recommend that you not save the buyer $2 on shipping but cost the $30 more and a week delay.

Karen

09-19-2003, 05:41 PM
I think the biggest problem is accepting money out of the country. you really take a risk when selling to people in other countries because if they use a stolen credit card, or other form of bogus payment, you have little recurse. at least in the U.S. you can call the local police for the address you sent the package too, and have them investigate. this is a federal crime (mail fraud) and carries stiff penalties. my .02$

Jason Dunn
09-19-2003, 05:50 PM
I do a fair amount of buying/selling on ebay, and being Canadian, I'm always a little put off by US-based buyers who will not ship to Canada. It's not like I'm from Sri Lanka, halfway around the world! :roll: The best advice I can give you:

1) Request payment via PayPal in US $$$ - it's just easier for you, the seller

2) Send it via the US mail system, not a courier. One, it's cheaper, and two, you won't be subjecting your buyer to the painful brokerage costs. And if you're really nice, mark a low commercial value on the shipment. Canadians pay enough taxes as it is. ;-)

3) The only thing special you have to do is fill out a small ticket that lists the contents and the value, and that ticket usually gets taped to the package.

Scott R
09-19-2003, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far. Two things:

1) As I said, eBay seemed to recommend using UPS because I could set up some sort of account with them to simplify the process and, supposedly, expedite it clearing customs. Karen, you're obviously anti-UPS, so who should I, as a buyer, use?

2) Regarding the fraud issues, would requiring PayPal shield me from that risk or am I just as liable to lose my money using PayPal if the buyer used a stolen CC?

Scott

Jason Dunn
09-19-2003, 05:52 PM
you really take a risk when selling to people in other countries because if they use a stolen credit card, or other form of bogus payment, you have little recurse.

But with ebay, you get paid first, then you ship the package. And unless Scott has a merchant VISA account (which I doubt), he'll be getting paid via PayPal, money order, or personal cheque. PayPal is notoriously strict when setting up an account - I've processed 400+ transactions via PayPal and have yet to have a payment get taken back for any reason.

Again, we're not talking about someone from Nigeria asking for 100 laptops and offering a credit card number here. ;-)

karen
09-19-2003, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far. Two things:

1) As I said, eBay seemed to recommend using UPS because I could set up some sort of account with them to simplify the process and, supposedly, expedite it clearing customs. Karen, you're obviously anti-UPS, so who should I, as a buyer, use?

Ask your buyer what they want. You CAN use USPS, just realize that without insurance, YOU, the seller, are responsible for getting the item to the buyer or refunding the money if it gets lost. Maybe your buyer likes UPS and doesn't mind the excessive brokerage fees. When I sell to the US, I insist that the shipment be insured, which means I can't use the postal service. Of course, it all depends on the value of your item.

2) Regarding the fraud issues, would requiring PayPal shield me from that risk or am I just as liable to lose my money using PayPal if the buyer used a stolen CC?

Scott

It helps. However, again, it depends on the value of the item. No matter what the tender type is you will have to deal with fraud risk. In my opinion, there isn't more risk with a Canadian buyer than a US buyer. The higher risk is the enforcement issue mentioned above if something goes wrong. Do whatever you normally do with US buyers - check their feedback, wait to mail after the payment really clears, see if the address is a drop box or a real address, take the best form of payment for you, etc.

Karen

Scott R
09-19-2003, 05:58 PM
Jason, thanks for the tips. OK, so I'm thinking that I'll tell him that he has to pay via PayPal and that he has the choice of me shipping it via the USPS for cheaper but without tracking or insurance (based on Karen's comments), or via USPS which would get him tracking and insurance but cost more.

Scott

BTW, in a completely unrelated eBay incident, I finally opened a ticket (forget what they call it) on PayPal requesting my money back for an item that I bought on eBay two weeks ago where I haven't gotten the item and the seller stopped responding to my numerous emails. It's a strange situation because I don't know if he's intentionally stealing my money or if he just has really poor communication and lost or hasn't gotten around to shipping my item yet. I only paid a lousy $16 for the item, so he wouldn't have had much to gain and he has a very high feedback rating. I even emailed another person who bought an item from him the same day I did (and it cost even less than mine) to see if they had gotten their item and they did. Very weird and very frustrating. Now I'll also need to give him negative feedback and worry about him responding with making up negative feedback for me. Rant over.

Scott R
09-19-2003, 06:03 PM
OK, a couple more things....

1) This person only has 2 feedbacks.

2) So if I send it through the USPS and, therefore, don't insure it or track it, I could be held responsible if he doesn't get it (or claims he didn't get it)? Could this be negated by getting him to state in an email or faxed letter that he is willing to give up those rights?

Now I'm starting to think that maybe I should tell him that I'll only be willing to accept offers from him if he uses PayPal and ships it via a trackable method.

Scott

karen
09-19-2003, 06:05 PM
Jason, thanks for the tips. OK, so I'm thinking that I'll tell him that he has to pay via PayPal and that he has the choice of me shipping it via the USPS for cheaper but without tracking or insurance (based on Karen's comments), or via USPS which would get him tracking and insurance but cost more.

Just as a reminder, the insurance is for YOU, not the buyer. You are the one who bears the expense if the item is lost of stolen, not the buyer.

Even if the item is delivered to the buyer and someone steals it off his porch, you have to return the money or ship another item.

That's why I only ever ship via carriers that can offer insurance for the item.

Mike Temporale
09-19-2003, 06:09 PM
When I sell to the US, I insist that the shipment be insured, which means I can't use the postal service. Of course, it all depends on the value of your item.

Canada Post does offer insurance on shipments to the US. Maybe I have misread something here, but it sounds like you're saying they don't. Every time I ship to the US I pay the extra $1 per $100 of insurance I need.

Scott R
09-19-2003, 06:14 PM
Canada Post does offer insurance on shipments to the US. Maybe I have misread something here, but it sounds like you're saying they don't. Every time I ship to the US I pay the extra $1 per $100 of insurance I need.We're talking about shipping FROM the US TO Canada, so maybe it's different going in that direction.

Scott

Mike Temporale
09-19-2003, 06:38 PM
Right. However; Karen is in Toronto, and her statement says "When I sell to the US".

I'm just trying to make sure Karen isn't making things harder than they have to be. Unless she meant to type "When I buy from the US"...

karen
09-19-2003, 06:48 PM
Right. However; Karen is in Toronto, and her statement says "When I sell to the US".

I'm just trying to make sure Karen isn't making things harder than they have to be. Unless she meant to type "When I buy from the US"...

Actually, I meant, when I ship from the US. I live in TO, but I work in the US.

Last I checked (more than a year ago), my local USPS office said that I couldn't buy insurance on shipments to Canada from the US.

stitics
09-20-2003, 08:38 AM
I live in TO, but I work in the US.
OT - How does something like that work as far as taxes and the like? And what's your commute like? Do you have to have some type of US ID card? Or, depending on your actual citizenship, a Canadian ID card? The questions just keep flowing.

Mike Temporale
09-20-2003, 07:15 PM
OT - How does something like that work as far as taxes and the like? And what's your commute like? Do you have to have some type of US ID card? Or, depending on your actual citizenship, a Canadian ID card? The questions just keep flowing.

It all depends on the situation. If you live in Canada, and work for a Canadian company that has offices in the US. And you travel and work at those offices, then you don't need much of anything. A letter from the company stating what you are going to the US for is about all you would need.

Now, if you are not an American citizen and you wish to work in the US, you need a work Visa. Depending on the job, and the company, these can be easy or hard to get. If Microsoft or AOL, or HP offered me a job, I would be able to get the Visa really fast and easy. However, if Joe's Auto Repair offered me a job, it would be a very long process.

I think I got most of that right. :? I've never had to do it,but I have friends that have.

Now, back to selling to a Canadian.... Do it. We're a tame bunch, unless there is a hockey game on. :wink: As long as the person is willing to pay the shipping and customs/duty then it's not really any different.

karen
09-21-2003, 04:04 AM

Been doing this for 13 years, so I guess I can share my thoughts:

- I'm a US citizen, so there are no special requirements for me to work in the US. But if I weren't, I'd need a visa/work permit of some sort. Canada and the US have NAFTA for professionals, so I'd qualify under that (That's how I originally worked in Canada).

- The US and Canada have a tax treaty that, for the most part, says that they won't double tax - you pay one country for you income and other other recognizes that as if you had paid them. You have to make up the difference if there is still some owning. However, there are problems in practice. One year I got caught between the two with each country saying I should pay them first. It took another year to sort it all out.

- I fly to my work every week, so my commute varies. Lately I've been working on the west coast, so my commute is pretty long.

- I have the best of both worlds, IMHO - I get the US dollars (not as good a deal these days) and the quality of life of Canada. YMMV.