View Full Version : Skype and PDA - wireless voice over IP

E!K
09-19-2003, 11:40 AM
I have used the last few days of my life to get aquainted with the world of pocketPC's. Wow, this opens a lot of options for a gadgeteer like myself. I am definately going to buy a PocketPC! Right now I'm in the cheerful process of deciding wich one. Well, to the point:

I have been asking myself if a wireless voice-over-IP setup is possible with a PocketPC? I imagine the following setup:

A vioce-over-IP program is installed on at desktop computer. www.skype.com could be a good choice, it is an excellent piece of software.

2.a
The audio is streamed to the PocketPC via WLAN (inspired by this fine article: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,3263)

2.b
Alternatively: Perhaps full duplex communication of audio is possible by other means such as VNC for pocket PC or the likes?

A bluetooth headset is connected to the PDA. I haven't found records of this on PocketPCthoughts, apparently drivers are missing, but it ought to be be possible: www.atinav.com/bluetooth/audiodriver.pdf

4. I can now (in theory) take a walk in a radius of (up to) 300 meters from my home and have a conversation free of charge with my long forgotten uncle on the other side of the Globe. Nice :)

There is a few flaws in the setup, in particular I haven't found out how to send the audio from the PDA back to skype on the desktopPC (2.a). Any suggestions?

Any comments would be appreciated, I am rellly having fun thinking about such scenarios, and can't wait to try them out for real!

/E!K

Sooner Al
09-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Text deleted

E!K
09-19-2003, 03:28 PM
I know that Skype is only for Windows - that is why I want the PocketPC to act as a "terminal" for a w2k desktop pc.

MS portrait seems like a much simpler solution though, thanks for the tip :) But I assume the person in the other end would need a PocketPC a well?

BTW: Another wireless solution could be to hook the desktopPC up with a bluetooth connection, and communicate directly with a bluetooth headset. But that would exclude the PocketPC...

lonesniper
03-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Skype are beta testing a PPC version of Skype so soon you will be able to walk around the yard just using Skype on your "new" PPC and a WiFi connection.