View Full Version : Future Pocket PCs, and the Future of eBooks

Jason Dunn
09-19-2003, 03:00 PM
One of the most enjoyable things about a site like Pocket PC Thoughts is the fun we have with speculation about devices and the industry. This last week was filled with both: we learned a little more about thee new Pocket PCs coming down the pipe, the <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=18212">Toshiba e800</a>, the <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=18236">iPAQ 4150</a>, and the <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=18134">iPAQ 4350</a>. Each of the devices is ground breaking in its own way: the e800 may in fact have a 640 x 480 resolution display (though I'm personally very skeptical on this point), the iPAQ 4150 seems to have a similar shell to the svelte iPAQ 1940 but boasts both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, while the iPAQ 4350 will have a built-in hardware keyboard, possibly a slide-out keyboard. Based on a Powerpoint slide shown at an Office Depot product meeting, the iPAQ rumours seem to be more or less confirmed. I can't stress how excited I am about seeing a Pocket PC with a built-in keyboard. The Hitachi G1000 was the first to make it to this important point in Pocket PC history, but I have yet to see one in person, and most reports talk about how tall the unit is. If HP's approach to having the keyboard slide back into the unit proves to be accurate, they will have accomplished something very significant: a Pocket PC with a keyboard that is no taller than any other Pocket PC.<br /><br />Keyboards seem to be hit or miss with buyers: some people have yawned at the iPAQ 4350, while others (like myself) have been very enthusiastic. Back when I was using the Jornada 565 as my primary Pocket PC, I purchased the keyboard add-on for it. I can't express how much more productive I became once I had that add-on: it was the first time I'd ever been able to work on a serious writing project while having some down-time. Regardless of how many alternative text entry approaches I try, nothing seems to match the sheer power of a hardware keyboard, even if the buttons are tiny. And unlike most of the snap-on keyboard solutions out there, the Jornada keyboard didn't add to the size of the device, which was paramount for me. All of the iPAQ/XDA snap-on keyboards added bulk, which was an instant losing scenario for me. If the iPAQ 4350 has a keyboard that can disappear into the body of the unit, I can almost guarantee it will be my new primary Pocket PC - it's what I've been waiting for. Now if only someone could convince them to add a screen cover - it still amazes me that no other major OEMs have figured this out yet!<br /><br />Our own Ed Hansberry <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,18041">did his own speculating about the future of eBooks</a>, and unlike <a href="http://www.brighthand.com/article/Will_Ebooks_Survive">Steve from Brighthand</a>, Ed feels eBooks are a powerful medium for novels. There are some other issues to tackle with eBooks, but they relate more to the hardware and industry in general (pricing, DRM, marketing). If you have any interest in electronic books, be sure to give Ed's article a read.<br /><br />Lastly, we're in full swing on the <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=17265">"Big Thinker" Contest</a>, with the winner of the Viewsonic V35 being announced, and by the time you read this, I'll probably have drawn for the <a href="http://www.viewsonic.com/products/pocket_pc_pocketpcv37.htm">Viewsonic V37</a> as well. A big thanks to Viewsonic for donating the V37 for the giveaway - if you're not a <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php">subscriber</a>, consider joining so you can take part in these contests. If you'd like to enter for free, you can always <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=17265">mail in a postcard</a>.<br /><br />Have a great weekend everyone!

PJE
09-19-2003, 03:09 PM
I can't stress how excited I am about seeing a Pocket PC with a built-in keyboard. The Hitachi G1000 was the first to make it to this important point in Pocket PC history, but I have yet to see one in person, and most reports talk about how tall the unit is. If HP's approach to having the keyboard slide back into the unit proves to be accurate, they will have accomplished something very significant: a Pocket PC with a keyboard that is no taller than any other Pocket PC.

I played with the G1000 at CompUSA and it was far too big to be a usable day-to-day device. The fixed keyboard made the device far too long to be comfortable to use. To thumbtype on the keyboard you have to hold it at the end, at which point 3/4 of the device is left unrestrained...

I'm hoping the HP device uses a mechanism similar to the Zire 71, in which the device is in two fairly equal thin slices and the LCD section slides up...

I must say that 640x480 resolution will trump a built in keyboard for me, but will probably have me holding off for a device with both features. I'd like to see the B-Square style device with a keyboard designed for use in the landscape 640x480 mode, but software support would be lacking.

[Edit: Clarified sliding keyboard section]

palmsolo
09-19-2003, 03:16 PM
I am a HUGE fan of thumb keyboards, especially with a "connected" PDA. I just bought a UX50 for this ability and also have a Sharp Zaurus 5500. I would love to see HP implement a keyboard like the 5500 where it slides out or is integrated into the unit. I had the same wonderful keyboard on my Jornada 568 that Jason talked about and it was awesome.

If HP comes out with this 4350 with a keyboard then my 2215 is gone and I will have finally found a Pocket PC that I can be happy with for some time, at least 6 months :lol:

Thanasis Mitsolides
09-19-2003, 06:36 PM
I can't stress how excited I am about seeing a Pocket PC with a built-in keyboard.

8O I cannot stress how amazed I am that we have reached a point to be excited about seeing features in the PocketPC world that appeared in the palm world ages ago. 8O

What is next? Start salivating about high resolution screens?

I never thought I would ever consider the possibility to go back to the palm camp.

guinness
09-19-2003, 07:00 PM
What I find ironic is that some Clie owners are clammering for Sony to release a Clie w/o a KB, camera or clamshell, while PPC owners are clammering to get some of those very features. Yet, when HP does release a iPaq with a built-in KB, people complain about the design or that it's too long, there will always be some trade-offs, if they released the perfect PDA, they'd have nothing left to improve on.

For me, I don't care for BT or WiFi, as I have no use for them right now, I'd rather stay with a modular design, start throwing everything in and battery life will suffer too much.

Jason Dunn
09-19-2003, 07:00 PM
8O I cannot stress how amazed I am that we have reached a point to be excited about seeing features in the PocketPC world that appeared in the palm world ages ago. 8O What is next? Start salivating about high resolution screens?

Why does it amaze you? Palm does some things better than Pocket PC does, and built-in keyboards and high-resolution screens are two of them. What's wrong with admitting Palms offer something that Pocket PCs do not?

Ed Hansberry
09-19-2003, 07:55 PM
I can't stress how excited I am about seeing a Pocket PC with a built-in keyboard.

8O I cannot stress how amazed I am that we have reached a point to be excited about seeing features in the PocketPC world that appeared in the palm world ages ago. 8O
Ages ago? You mean in late 2001 when the Treo was announced? Whoopee. 1 for Palm. Now, lets talk about color screens, real audio, networking, voice recording, storage cards, large RAM devices, etc. All in Pocket PC devices since before they were called Pocket PCs. 1997 for most, though it was 1998 before a color screen hit the scene.

Ages... :roll:

stevew
09-19-2003, 08:06 PM
All I want more in my PPC is the capability to stay connected to the internet at all times/always on, and be alerted to incoming emails like the Blackberry. I don't care much at all about the PPC Phones. I prefer a seperate cellphone. But give me a fast, always on internet connection and more mobile formatted internet sites and I'll be a happy guy.

Thanasis Mitsolides
09-19-2003, 08:10 PM
Why does it amaze you? Palm does some things better than Pocket PC does, and built-in keyboards and high-resolution screens are two of them. What's wrong with admitting Palms offer something that Pocket PCs do not?

It is not a question of admiting reality.

If 2 years ago (or a little more) you told me that Palm would come with h resolution screens and build-in keyboards before PocketPCs, I would have bet 10 to 1 against it.

Thanasis Mitsolides
09-19-2003, 08:17 PM
Now, lets talk about color screens, real audio, networking, voice recording, storage cards, large RAM devices, etc. All in Pocket PC devices since before they were called Pocket PCs. 1997 for most, though it was 1998 before a color screen hit the scene.

Exactly. It did look like PocketPC were about to eat Palms for breakfast didn't it?

Thanasis Mitsolides
09-19-2003, 08:37 PM
All I want more in my PPC is the capability to stay connected to the internet at all times/always on, and be alerted to incoming emails like the Blackberry. I don't care much at all about the PPC Phones. I prefer a seperate cellphone. But give me a fast, always on internet connection and more mobile formatted internet sites and I'll be a happy guy.

Right on.
I would also argue that for PIM services outside of email and web the HP200LX still is the most functional design (except 3 of them broke on me and I gave up. :lol: ) I wonder how the UX50 stacks up.

dave
09-19-2003, 09:06 PM
sorry to yank the brake on this thread for a little educational context, but other than the extra 80 pixels of width, what is so great about the new Palm displays relative to some of the newer PPC displays? not a sarcastic question, rather i just want to know.

Janak Parekh
09-19-2003, 09:15 PM
sorry to yank the brake on this thread for a little educational context, but other than the extra 80 pixels of width, what is so great about the new Palm displays relative to some of the newer PPC displays? not a sarcastic question, rather i just want to know.
Density. They're generally smaller than Pocket PC screens, which is a downside from a eyesight standpoint but the pixels are generally very close packed together, which looks sharper.

The Sonys, of course, are more than 80 pixels more.

--janak

greenmozart
09-19-2003, 10:52 PM
I'm just proud that I share Jason's view regarding the iPaq 4350 - give me a hardware keyboard that doesn't add bulk and a FLIP COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I'll be a happy camper. The add-on KB for the Jornada 568 was approaching perfection, but had minor flaws like slightly added bulk and some glitchy hardware issues (so I heard from a friend who had one).

I agree with the desire for always-on internet with e-mail notification like the BlackBerry - Windows Mobile 2003 and Exchange 2003 have this now so I'm just waiting for the right SmartPhone and PPC hardware and I'll be in tech heaven!! :angel: