View Full Version : Axim X5 Internet Performance

bonvivantmike
09-19-2003, 12:12 AM
I just received my 400MHz X5 with Truemobile 802.11b card. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 router with 802.11b wireless.

While accessing the Internet using the wireless link, performance seems extremely slow. It can take several minutes for a page to load. Sometimes pages simply don't load at all, especially graphics-heavy pages such as www.cnn.com. The connection is described as "excellent" in the connection properties, and I while testing the Axim is no farther than 20 feet from the router, and in most cases much closer than that.

Is this poor performance typical? Does anyone have any ideas on how I might improve it?

Thanks.

shadowac90
09-19-2003, 01:18 AM
It seems to be really slow on my x5 too via wireless even close to the router, something to try is clicking the last button on the bottom of internet explorer. all that does is not show the pictures, and that seems to speed it up a little.

PetiteFlower
09-19-2003, 03:21 AM
It's not your connection, it's the processor speed and the fact that PIE is a pretty slow program to begin with. You might want to try one of the other browsers like Thunderhawk, I've heard they are faster.

Janak Parekh
09-19-2003, 04:45 AM
It's not your connection, it's the processor speed and the fact that PIE is a pretty slow program to begin with. You might want to try one of the other browsers like Thunderhawk, I've heard they are faster.
Right, but several minutes sounds too long. I've had PIE sit for 20 seconds or so thinking about composing a page, but that's been pretty close to the limit for regular-sized webpages.

--janak

SlimDady
10-05-2003, 02:42 AM
try to get on the web while in sync
see if the speed is anyfaster.

that way u can tell if its just poor performance of your network, or just the normal time it takes to load a page in PIE

i do find it slow.. but never does it take a few mins to load a page

bonvivantmike
10-07-2003, 10:49 PM
I should have updated this earlier....

The problem was the Dell WiFi card. It's a piece of junk, even after updating the drivers. I bought a Linksys WiFi card, used their beta 2003 drivers, and it works perfectly.

CTSLICK
10-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Man was that a timely update. I had my hand on my wallet last night about to buy a Dell card (I have a discount to burn). Then I happened upon this post. Guess I'll use that discount on something else. :wink:

david291
10-08-2003, 03:11 PM
I agree the Dell card is among the poorest performing cards. We did some fairly extensive testing of most of the cards on the market for our business use, and settled on the card by Socket.

PetiteFlower
10-08-2003, 07:29 PM
I thought the Dell card was a rebranded Linksys though....anyone know for sure?