View Full Version : What is the BEST BlueTooth Dongle/Hub?

JustinGTP
09-19-2003, 12:07 AM
Hello guys and gals,

I would like to know what is the best Bluetooth dongle in your opinion or a reviews opinion.

Thanks!

-Justin.
[/b]

JustinGTP
09-19-2003, 04:47 AM
And can you go through bluetooth to look at the internet wirelessly?

I want to get the F8T001 from belkin, a bluetooth usb dongle for my pc, and then do I hit on my PPC Connect via a computer connected to a LAN?
If that works, I will be more than happy!

Justin.

JustinGTP
09-19-2003, 04:51 AM
Oh, and bluetooth can go through wall right?

And dont get mad at me because, yes, I did a search and nothing came up!

seidler
09-19-2003, 11:39 AM
Yes, bluetooth is radio technology, so it goes through walls. But not very far.

I think you shouldn't care about manufacturers. Two important things: If you want high range, get a class 1 adapter. Class 2 is for 10m only and Class 1 for 100m. I found it a bit hard to get through a (for german standards) normal wall of concrete from one level of our house to the one above (with 2 class 2). It worked though, and I could walk around with my class 2 dongle on my laptop quite a bit. But if you PocketPC has only class 2, maybe you won't need a class 1 after all.

The second thing is software. I recommend you to get a dongle with WIDCOMM stack, and then upgrade to version 1.4.1 (instructions and links somewhere in the WWW). Then you get LAN access profile, and HID and sound profiles e.g. On your Pocket PC there is also a possibility to get the 1.3.1 version, with LAN profile.

Anyway, you can still route Internet through ActiveSync. Connect with "Serial profile" (also called "ActiveSync over Bluetooth") and ActiveSync will do the rest.

HTH

Stefan
P.S.: I have two billionton USB dongles and they work fine, I never had problems and they were the cheapest available.

JustinGTP
09-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Thanks for that info, I am looking at the 100m (328ft) one becaue then I can go farther, heh! The only problem is the speed of it, 768KBPS! Thats pretty slow compared to my 100mbps network. Anyway, I have bluetooth 1.4.1 on my PDA

-Justin.