View Full Version : Wall Street Journal says new Treo 600 “Blows away any of the PDA/phones based on Microsoft Pocket PC operating system...

jake
09-18-2003, 01:31 PM
On 9-18-2003, Walt Mossberg from the Wall Street Journal said the Treo 600 “Blows away any of the PDA/phones based on Microsoft's Pocket PC operating system."

You can read the article here:
http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html

http://www.jakeehrlich.com/Treo600.jpg

I switched over to the Treo a year and a half ago and have been much, much happier than with my PPC. I still love PPCThoughs.com though…

What do you think about the new Handspring Treo 600?

Jake

rzanology
09-18-2003, 01:33 PM
i think you should have posted this on a palm site. Did wall street also forget to mention that it is STILL a palm??? :!:

dh
09-18-2003, 01:36 PM
i think you should have posted this on a palm site. Did wall street also forget to mention that it is STILL a palm??? :!:

Actually it could have been in "THe Competition" forum on this site.

In terms of a well thought out, integrated solution he might well be right. I personally would not purchase any of the current MS based phones (Smartphone or PPCPE) but I like the look of the Treo 600.

The 160 x 160 screen and the POS would be the main reasons for not getting one.

jake
09-18-2003, 01:42 PM
I am not trying to start a flame war. I am genuinely interested in hearing your Thoughts on the new Treo 600.

I had the chance to preview an early prototype several months ago and I wrote a detailed review you can read if you are interested in learning more:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/240-1.htm

What do you think?

Jake

SandersP
09-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Here is my thought:

It has 160 by 160 square screen, 12 bit screen ... AND it runs Palm OS.

Will anybody actually buy this ehmmm, toy?

AppleMac
09-18-2003, 03:38 PM
The keys are utterly tiny, i never really liked the Palm OS largely because it can't multitask, and i'm not too sure about that antenna.
The XDA II and this are just as 'speccy' but it's the PocketPC OS that makes the XDA II better.
Other than that the Treo 600 is one nice piece of kit. Look how small the darn thing is!

jake
09-18-2003, 03:41 PM
Here is my thought:

It has 160 by 160 square screen, 12 bit screen ... AND it runs Palm OS.

Will anybody actually buy this ehmmm, toy?

I agree! It needs a 320x320 16 bit screen and BlueTooth built in, and that will make it close to perfect.

jake
09-18-2003, 03:44 PM
The keys are utterly tiny, i never really liked the Palm OS largely because it can't multitask, and i'm not too sure about that antenna.
The XDA II and this are just as 'speccy' but it's the PocketPC OS that makes the XDA II better.
Other than that the Treo 600 is one nice piece of kit. Look how small the darn thing is!

That is the whole point, how small it is and it has a keyboard for typing email, a camera that cand send images via MMS and a phone.

As far as the antenna, it supposely will give the Treo 600 superb reception.

Jake

Kati Compton
09-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Actually it could have been in "THe Competition" forum on this site.
Nope. I think that's only a front-page forum. Users can't start threads there.

alcdroid
09-18-2003, 04:13 PM
This is an interesting device that I might actually consider getting if it weren't for the thumbboard. I'm already quite clumsy with the keypad on my t68 phone so I can't imagine doing anything useful with the treo's thumbboard. Looks great though.

Cheers!

jake
09-18-2003, 04:18 PM
This is an interesting device that I might actually consider getting if it weren't for the thumbboard. I'm already quite clumsy with the keypad on my t68 phone so I can't imagine doing anything useful with the treo's thumbboard. Looks great though.

Cheers!

You should try out the keyboard on the Treo 600. You might just be suprised at how well it works. I have been using a thumboard it is much faster and accurate than grafitti.

Cheers!

Kati Compton
09-18-2003, 05:17 PM
You should try out the keyboard on the Treo 600. You might just be suprised at how well it works. I have been using a thumboard it is much faster and accurate than grafitti.
I see a thumboard as being good for the PDA functions. But for the dialing? Those buttons are pretty small...

ignar
09-18-2003, 06:29 PM
I am a Treo 300 user. It's not a great device as a phone nor as a PDA, but as a convergence device, I found it's pretty handy and working well. Naturally, I had high expectation on Treo 600, and was almost determined to get one until... I realized it has only 160x160 screen. 8O I know Treo 600 has a small screen size, and some people don't mind low-res, but for me there is no way to get a low-res PDA in the year, 2003. Yeah, I consider Treo more as a PDA than a phone, but Handspring seems to think in opposite way. I hope 600 does well in the market though since I like to see more convergence units developed and released down the road.

Janak Parekh
09-18-2003, 08:33 PM
I'm mixed on the buttons, too. I think the device could be pretty good, but it's not going to replace my Pocket PC Phone anytime soon. The display is too small, it still can't multitask or support enough categories, etc. Nevertheless, I do look forward to playing with one.

As for Walt Mossberg, I don't listen to his advice -- not only is he not catering to my type, I flat out often don't agree with his conclusions. :)

--janak

shindullin
09-18-2003, 11:27 PM
Mossburg writes his column for 40+ execs who don't have time to check out a magazine or do an internet search and quite possible don't even know how to DO and internet search. Hardly the target audience of anyone who would read or post to this site.
That said, he REALLY liked it. It might be nice a phone with PIM on the side but I couldn't see it as a mini-computer bc of it's tiny display. And that's how most people of PPCThoughts are probably using their machines. PIM+Doc's+multimedia /or games.

JustinGTP
09-18-2003, 11:45 PM
Topic Choice - Remember that is a Pocket PC site, not a generic "PDA Neutral" site. PDA neutral sites are fine and good, but this is not one of them. We're pro-Pocket PC, pro-Smartphone 2002, and more or less supportive of what Microsoft is doing in this space. You want to discuss the new Handspring Treo? This isn't your site. You want to talk about weight loss pills? Use the Off Topic forum. You want to wallow in the glory of everything that is the Pocket PC? This is your site.

I agree with Mr. Dunn.

You should go into The Competition or to a Palm Site.

-Justin.

shindullin
09-19-2003, 01:02 AM
Woahh... :takethat:
I remember it was hard to keep my emotions in check when I was 16 too but this was posted in the "just chattin" section and he explicitly stated that he wasn't trollbaitin for a flamewar. We all like gizmo's and yes the vast majority of us prefer PPC's but it's a great big gadget world out there. Lets be nice.
0X

I personally think that this would be a perfect convergent device if it had mobile2k3, a better display and a built in bluetooth. It's nice to know the treo is out there and that it's a good as it is. The gauntlet is thrown and there may be a lot of great gizmo's to come as result of that. :armed:

JustinGTP
09-19-2003, 01:12 AM
Hey, I didnt write that, the owner of the site did, and I just said that I agree with him,k?

SandersP
09-19-2003, 01:15 AM
I don't understand what's the big deal about this treo,
I read the spec and it's pretty underpowered, not to mention ugly.

I am just waiting for XDAII to show up.

http://www.infosync.no/news/2003/09/15/gfx/o2_xda_ii_01.jpg
http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4066.html

JustinGTP
09-19-2003, 01:21 AM
what does XDA Mean?

That confuzzles me. I bet you I know it but dont lol

shawnc
09-19-2003, 01:31 AM
As a previous Treo 300 owner, I was eagerly anticipating the release of the 600. Now that some of the reviews/comments are trickling out, I have mixed feelings. I would rather have a flip phone and could do without the camera. Also, the reveiw says the 600 is thicker than the 300. That's just to bulky for me.

I like the SD slot, but will probably pass on the 600 and wait for some of the other devices I've been hearing about recently.

Topic Choice - Remember that is a Pocket PC site, not a generic "PDA Neutral" site. PDA neutral sites are fine and good, but this is not one of them. We're pro-Pocket PC, pro-Smartphone 2002, and more or less supportive of what Microsoft is doing in this space. You want to discuss the new Handspring Treo? This isn't your site. You want to talk about weight loss pills? Use the Off Topic forum. You want to wallow in the glory of everything that is the Pocket PC? This is your site.

I agree with Mr. Dunn.

You should go into The Competition or to a Palm Site.

-Justin.

Lighten up. If the moderators or Jason haven't objected, neither should you.

shindullin
09-19-2003, 01:35 AM
XDA is a brand name like IPAQ, only for a convergent PPC device. Click on the link provided under the massiver picture of the XDAII for more info.

JustinGTP
09-19-2003, 01:39 AM
Oh, its a brand, thanx lol!

maximus
09-19-2003, 01:52 AM
You should try out the keyboard on the Treo 600. You might just be suprised at how well it works. I have been using a thumboard it is much faster and accurate than grafitti. Cheers!

To me, the show-stopper is the physical keyboad. 30+ on-off physical switches that has big possibility to fail long before the electronic part of the PDA. Doh, I can no longer type 'E' ... what should I do ? Replace all 'E's with 'I's ?

Yis sir, I will bi thiri in twinty minutis. I am iating my dinnir right now, but rist assurid that I will be thiri. I am sorry for all thisi 'I's ... My silly divici has a brokin 'I' button.

JustinGTP
09-19-2003, 02:05 AM
HI HI HI MAXIMUS!

That was so funny.

Git it, hi hi hi as in hi hi hi?

(thosi ari supposid to bi is but my i button broki!

JustinGTP
09-19-2003, 02:06 AM
OK, enough being stupid, but valid point.