View Full Version : Which Reader?

seidler
09-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Strange that this poll isn't there yet.

What do we have:

MobiPocket
customizable font settings, ClearType
full screen option
rotate screen option, autoscroll (in "Pro" version)
dictionary lookup
reads .PDB, .PRC, also TXT and HTML
can read and sync eNews
own ebooks easy to build with Mobipocket Office Companion, can convert Office documents as well
DRM is device-based, no workaround
free version, full features only in Pro version (have to pay)

MS Reader
almost no customization
good dictionary system, change dictionary on-the-fly, free dictionaries for English, German, French, Italian, Spanish
slow on books with lots of pictures
DRM is .NET-account based (same email address), books can be converted with Convert LIT
library only as one huge list, but with search function
good screen rendering, book-like
reads only .LIT, own ebooks can be created, e.g. with a MS Word plugin
free

Palm Reader
great font adjustments and themes
only reads PDB
autoscroll and dictionary lookup in "Pro" version
free version, some features only in a paid version

µBook
most universal reader, reads HTML, TXT, RTF, PDB and PRC, and inside ZIP files
skinnable
lots of settings
full screen mode, basically full functionality only in full screen mode, rotate screen option
plain fonts, or very bad smoothing, no ClearType support
fast
dictionary lookup, free (but old) english dictionary available
nice autscroll, doesn't scroll the text but old text lines are one-by-one replaced with new ones
free

Ok, that's what I think are some of the major points about the most common readers for PPC. I tried PalmReader only once though. Feel free to add what you think is good/bad about the one or the other reader, which I might have forgot or I didn't know.

I will keep this posting updated then.

Now ... vote :mrgreen:

Stefan

Theo
09-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Stefan,

Nice summary - how about a few links for those of us too lazy to google. :evil:

seidler
09-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Stefan,

Nice summary - how about a few links for those of us too lazy to google. :evil:
I avoid editing my post now. Last time the poll died silently :(

MobiPocket homepage (http://www.mobipocket.com)
MobiPocket Pro vs. Standard comparison (http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/CompareReader.asp)

MS Reader homepage (http://www.microsoft.com/reader)
3 Free MS Reader ebooks each week (http://www.microsoft.com/reader/promotions/free_shop.asp)
Free MS dictionaries (http://www.microsoft.com/reader/downloads/dictionaries.asp) (has actually someone tried to convert them to MP dicts?)

Free Palm Reader (http://www.palmdigitalmedia.com/product/reader/browse/free)
Palm Reader Pro (http://www.palmdigitalmedia.com/product/reader/detail/6)

Gowerpoint µBook (http://www.gowerpoint.com)

Thanks to ChrisW, who pointed out a long forgotten program for us :) : iSilo.
iSilo homepage (http://www.isilo.com)
feature list (http://www.isilo.com/info/features.htm) (beware: long ;))
iSiloX (http://www.isilox.com), something you will definitely need for sure to create files in the iSilo format

More? Check out this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18030) ;)

0X Stefan

ChrisW
09-18-2003, 03:15 PM
How about iSilo? I've been using this for years, since my Palm days, and it's matured into a fantastic product.

Pros:
Full screen mode
Continuous non-paged stream
Scroll modes including auto and half-screen-at-a-time (the latter is why I love the program. Scrolling a full page requires that I read to the bottom of the page, which is generally the middle of a sentence, then pause while I scroll; with 1/2 screen I can scroll when I get to a convenient spot on the lower half)
Free conversion program
Convert from HTML files, web sites, text, with great flexibility
Supports images
Supports formatting including italic/bold, font sizes and colors, and tables
Reasonably priced
Allows sane DRM via password stamping
Supports ClearType

Cons:
Proprietary format
Closed format -- can't export back to HTML or something

crass
09-22-2003, 05:54 PM
I am considering to buy an ebook reader and a dictionary. I currently use the free mobipocket version which I like a lot. I find that Palm has slightly better prices on ebooks and dictionaries than mobipocket.
But the Palm UI is so dull and less well designed. And it can only open one (proprietary) format.

On the other hand Palm has a greater library. And most other ebook sellers, sell in Palm format whereas not always in the MP format. For instance, I read the DaVinci Code by Dan Brown and I found it a great book. In the MP site, it's the only available title of this author whereas in Palm you can find another two.

Jolard
09-22-2003, 07:04 PM
I started reading mostly in Microdoft Reader (.lit) format, so I still have a lot of books in the format, but I prefer Mobipocket now, for a number of reasons:

Speed: opens much fatser the reader
Full screen: I can open the text to full screen with minimal margens. Get a lot more text on the screen than reader
Landscape: I prefer reading text in landscape view, and Mobi allows this easily and natively.

So Reader is great, but because of the above reasons I prefer Mobipocket.

xendula
09-22-2003, 07:57 PM
I am still using the "old" MS Reader, and have no intention to switching to the new one. In the beginning I used it because it was already preinstalled, now I use it because it is so easy to make my own lit-files in MS Word (mostly of texts that would take forever to read on a regular computer screen).
I always wanted to try out µBook and probably will soon. Does anyone here know whether it allows you to take notes and highlight and bookmark in different colors?

Can anyone here please describe how switching from MS Reader to µBook improved their reading experience?

sph33r
09-22-2003, 08:09 PM
I have been strictly a Microsoft Reader user until this week. After reading one of the free books that Microsoft is giving out each week, I felt like reading one of the author's other works. After some looking around, I found PalmDigitalMedia to have better prices on a lot of books that are on my to-read list. So I grabbed their free reader and purchased my book and have been very happy with the program.

I'm not one to highlight or use any of those extra features so I'm not sure how Palm Reader stacks up to MS Reader on that level but based on the available library, I'm pretty sure I'm going to continue using Palm Reader

crass
09-22-2003, 10:10 PM
Can anyone here please describe how switching from MS Reader to µBook improved their reading experience?

1. You can start reading on the same day you tapped the application's icon. Try that with MS Reader.

2. Open many file types with no need to convert. During my vacations, I read all books I had with me. No prob. Connect to the web via GPRS, find a free ebook in any format you like. Start reading.

3. Great font customisation options. MS Reader is no way near that. The damn thing just forces you to use its default options (which are not to my liking).

4. I hate Clear Type (on my ipaq 3870). Clear Type is fabulous on desktop monitors. On a PDA IMO is just blurry crap. At least they should give the the option to turn it off.

Concluding, MS Reader is just a waste of our ROM and a big disappointement. Microsoft as a software house is no innovator. But they excel in one thing. They carefully study competitors and then most of the times enter the market with a product which is simply a good copycat of competition. Take Media Player for example. Skinning abilities of Winamp and great Media Library like the king MJ Jukebox.
Regarding ebook reading though, they have failed. How do they ever managed to come up with a simple document reader that can kneel a PDA processor?

seidler
09-23-2003, 08:15 AM
4. I hate Clear Type (on my ipaq 3870). Clear Type is fabulous on desktop monitors. On a PDA IMO is just blurry crap. At least they should give the the option to turn it off.

Ok, that's you, and the iPaq. I already read about the different effectiveness of ClearType, and it seems that some of the iPaqs have a useless subpixel positioning, so that ClearType actually only work vertically ok. If you ever get hold of a Casio E-200, you will see what Microsoft really intented to do about it. The fonts are crystal clear, I can set font size in PIE to "Smallest" and can easily read the Pocket PC Thought AvantGo pages i.e.

Other question: are you hapy with the µBook font smoothing? This is blurry crap, at least on my device. I've tried all settings ever possible, but I don't get it nearly as sharp and clear as my ClearType.

Stefan

xendula
09-23-2003, 10:27 AM
Hmm, I am also using an Ipaq 3870 and LOVE cleartype on it. Maybe there are differences between devices of the same series :?:

I tried out µBook on my laptop last night. It's cool, but has such a wealth of features that one can easily lose the overview. I did not feel like reading through the whole handbook that came with it, and thus encountered a few problems I had no clue how to solve. Very nice reader, though.

DaveStall
09-23-2003, 12:39 PM
I like Clear Type as well (on my HP 2215), but I do not like MS Reader much at all. Luckily, other readers like Mobipocket and Palm Reader support Clear Type so it isn't a matter of needing Reader if you wish to use Clear Type.

My main problem with Reader is the lack of features it brings to the table. The formatting of the text on the screen leaves a lot to be desired. Open a book in Reader and then open the same book in another application and take notice of how much screen space is wasted with Reader as compared to almost any other program out there. Try adjusting the screen colors with Reader. How about full screen reading? Autoscroll? Why does it take so long to open a book, and why can't I set an option to automatically open the last book I was reading, at the furthest read point in that book? Why can't I choose full justification? The screen on my PPC is small enough without forcing me to use insanely large margins.

I am glad the MS is in the ebook business, because hopefully having such a large company pushing the technology will keep things rolling along. I would hope however that MS takes a look at what features should be built into an ebook reader to make the experience worthwhile. Clear Type is nice, but that is just a technology and has little or nothing to do with the MS Reader program itself. If MS expects people to use the .lit format and their software to read (and thus purchase) ebooks, they need to give us a program that has more features and less overhead.

Dave

crass
09-23-2003, 04:08 PM
Ok, that's you, and the iPaq

Yes of course. That's why I stated the exact model. The 3870 (and it's not the only one) is terrible with Clear Type. Some other PPC's are much better.

Other question: are you hapy with the µBook font smoothing?

No, Stefan I am not. That's why I do not use it at all. Either in Mobipocket or in μΒοοk Ι just use "plain" type. If I could have the crispness of my desktop PC Clear Type, that 'll be amazing for ebook reading.

And I agree with DaveStall. It's a good thing that MS entered the ebook industry. But they must improve ASAP their Reader.

@ xendula Hmm that's strange. I guess I was more unlucky ?!? Who knows. As for μBook, don't worry. It just have a UI with a different "idiosyncracy". It's easy to configure after a minute or two. But whatever settings you choose, Mobipocket seems a bit better with HTML.

KH
09-24-2003, 05:32 AM
Palm Reader is my favorite. The navigation features are great - GoTo beginning, end, chapter - all very speedy and easy. When I open a book it returns automatically to the last read page. I really hate the way Microsoft Reader initializes, and in general find it awkward to navigate..

Before I switched to Pro I was a fan of the reverse screen option - white print on dark backgound. With the latest version of Pro I like the other options - the parchment effect is VERY readable.

KH
09-24-2003, 05:36 AM
By the way, you can build your own Palm Reader books as well - softeware downloadable from their site.

crass
09-24-2003, 06:27 AM
By the way, you can build your own Palm Reader books as well - softeware downloadable from their site.

Are you reffering to Dropbook? Well from what I have read it seems its a bit awkward and really time consuming to build an ebook. MS Reader and Mobipocket are just a click away.

Jerry Raia
09-24-2003, 06:43 AM
Palm reader is much easier to deal with in my opinion.

jgahr
09-24-2003, 12:50 PM
I had been only using Palm reader, but with the free MS books, my library grew in MS Reader. One of these days I might convert them, but for now, I'll use either of these 2 readers. :mrgreen:

Talyn
09-24-2003, 10:22 PM
Are you reffering to Dropbook? Well from what I have read it seems its a bit awkward and really time consuming to build an ebook. MS Reader and Mobipocket are just a click away.

Nothing awkward about DropBook at all, just drag-and-drop the source file onto it, and it generates the PDB in a matter of seconds. It's coding the PML (Palm Markup Language) for text styles, chapters, etc. that is time-consuming.

Palm Digital Media does provide a "Word2PML" macro for Word which helps with all the time-consuming PML coding. I wrote my own "ebook beautifier" macro that that works with a Word2PML that I modified to make it work better and code a few more items that the original should have, imo. But, while I prefer PalmReader (especially the newest one) there is no doubt that it also requires the most effort to generate an ebook for -- if you want all the styles, formatting, chapters, etc.

crass
09-24-2003, 10:33 PM
Yes but AFAIK the file must be plain txt right? So how can you have any formating? What file types you can drag and drop?

Talyn
09-25-2003, 03:38 AM
The source file must be .txt yes, but you can add PML markup to it for styles/formatting prior to being compressed into a PDB. Using Word, the original source is irrelevant -- just Save As... .txt once ya have it the way ya want. I use .doc, .rtf, .html, etc. source files, add the PML, Save as .txt and drop it into DropBook. Just as you can use the same filetypes and Save as... html to use for MobiPocket.

Several PDB's I've tried have no formatting whatsoever, so even though it's a little more work, the end experience is better. Palm Digital Media claims they have some new tools in the works that will make things much easier for creating PalmReader books, though.

crass
09-27-2003, 03:03 PM
Thanx for the feedback my friend. Just as I suspected. Not an easy way to keep the formating. I'll just wait from a new tool from Palm.

pocketpcfox
12-16-2003, 11:56 PM
Other question: are you hapy with the µBook font smoothing? This is blurry crap, at least on my device. I've tried all settings ever possible, but I don't get it nearly as sharp and clear as my ClearType.

Stefan

This thread has come back to life from another inquiry, but I'd just like to say I have no problems at all with uBook (8.0i) cleartype. Yeah, you have to play around with the settings, but it is very legible.

ux4484
12-17-2003, 01:33 AM
iSilo and ubook are my two mainstays, I like the reverse screen of Palm Reader, but the autoscroll of my mainstays are just so much better.

BTW, I've had no troubles reading using the sharp font on my Dell with ubook...it's VERY readable. You may want to try some other skins (available on gowerpoint's website), as the background color can make a big difference in how the font smoothing looks with ubook. I personally like a muted (eggshell or parchment) background that emulates a paperback.

senfeng
12-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Some good info here. I've been thinking about switching from MSReader because it just seems so sloppy and slow... very slow. I was reading the .lit version of Martin's 1st two books in the ...fire and ice series. Each book was roughly 1000 pages in print- in the 10,000s in reader. I could place a bookmark on a page, turn to the next page, then click on the bookmark and wait for about 20 seconds before it went to the marked page. I had to install Pocket Hack Master to overclock my cpu in order to get it to a usable state.

I'm trying out Mobi right now. While it's cool, the books don't feel like book pages. I'm not sure why. It is a lot faster, has more features, and looks better, but I'm still undecided.

tanalasta
12-17-2003, 10:05 AM
Yeah... not sure if i've posted this before but i'm definitely not a big fan of microsoft reader. The version i have in rom (pocketpc 2002) is quite buggy and often hangs - requiring a hard reset to solve the problem. Needless to say, i've stopped using it especially since i didn't have pocketbackup plus at the time :oops:

Mobipocket is good... as is palm reader. And if you haven't tried iSilo http://www.isilo.com then i'd also give this a go. Whilst i'm not sure about the legality of this... i've found copies of LOTR, harry potter and many medical texts in this format and they work great! (and yes, i also have the hard copies) Plus they have pictures.... and iSilo is one of the quickest book readers available. It's a pity publishers don't use this format but i'm not sure it supports DRM which may be why....

Vulcan
12-17-2003, 11:37 AM
I have been using the Microsoft Reader almost daily without any problems...not sure what people are saying about it being slow.

ux4484
12-18-2003, 07:12 PM
I have been using the Microsoft Reader almost daily without any problems...not sure what people are saying about it being slow.

you would be one of the few.....

Vulcan
12-18-2003, 08:55 PM
Where are you noticing the poor speed? When loading the book or page turning? Perhaps I will try one of the other E Readers so I have something to compare....

senfeng
12-18-2003, 09:03 PM
Where are you noticing the poor speed? When loading the book or page turning? Perhaps I will try one of the other E Readers so I have something to compare....For me, the main speed hurdle is when I'm trying to go to a book marked page in one of the heftier ebooks. Even if the book marked page is on the next page, it takes forever to load. The other speed hit that I see is going to and from the menu and the ebook itself.

alizhan
03-01-2004, 11:07 PM
I use uBook, and have found it to be the best compromise of the readers I have tried (PR, MP, MSR, and uB). IMHO, Palm Reader and Mobipocket both have a few too many strings attached, even though they are excellent, professional products. uBook is noticably rougher around the edges, but has a flexibility that I quite enjoy.

MS Reader is serviceable. My main complaints are: it takes longer between opening a book and being able to navigate again than in any other reader I've tried, its DRM sucks, and it wastes space on an already-small screen. I view it as similar to MS Wordpad: it works and is ubiquitous, but it is not ideal for serious use.

As for font antialiasing, I hate it with a passion. No PDA I've seen actually renders ClearType well; there's always that psychodelic halo around the letters. If I want blurry type, I'll give myself a concussion. :roll:

Janak Parekh
03-01-2004, 11:08 PM
As for font antialiasing, I hate it with a passion. No PDA I've seen actually renders ClearType well; there's always that psychodelic halo around the letters. If I want blurry type, I'll give myself a concussion. :roll:
I completely disagree. I've had three PDAs (the XDA, the i700, and now my e805) that handle ClearType fantastically well, especially my e805 in VGA mode. The original iPAQs were nowhere near as good.

As such, I use MS Reader and Palm Reader pretty much exclusively. ;)

--janak

Jorgen
03-02-2004, 08:35 AM
I fully agree with Janak! Cleartype anyway looks better than no cleartype on any PPC, except perhaps on the older iPaq's on which the screen was mounted 90 degrees off.

Funny you shoyld complain about the font. I have not used uBook a long time but I seem to remember taht the fonts looked a bit weird

Jorgen

Xianfox
03-05-2004, 02:27 AM
Funny you shoyld complain about the font. I have not used uBook a long time but I seem to remember taht the fonts looked a bit weird

You should take another look at it. Recent changes in the program make it more comfortable for me than any other reader I've tried.

YMMV

Jorgen
03-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Just installed the .08m version on my h1910. The fonts are still not
sharp. I changed to sharp Arial font helps a bit but not much. Are there any secrets I should know?

I like the reader in many ways though it took me a bit of effort to get used to the userinterface.

Jorgen

Xianfox
03-05-2004, 01:17 PM
Just installed the .08m version on my h1910. The fonts are still not
sharp. I changed to sharp Arial font helps a bit but not much. Are there any secrets I should know?

Try chaging the settings for Method, RGB Orientation, RGB Distribution, Contrast, and Bolding. It takes a few minutes of playing with these to get them to where they look nicest.

On my crummy on Toshi e740, Cleartype stinks, but uBook is able to breath brand new life into my reading and with all those settings, I'd be surprised if it can do something similar for every display.

Jorgen
03-05-2004, 02:45 PM
Nope, better with medium size but still not as sharp and nice as Cleartype on a 1910. I will try it on my 568 next month.

Jorgen