View Full Version : the "thingie"

rzanology
09-17-2003, 10:17 PM
A friend of mine just bought a new cd player (for what reason i don't know) and it came with one of those thingies. This is the same thingie that mp3 players and mini disk players have had for a while now. If ya don't know...im talking about the thingie that controls the music. Its like an external control. I've seen people on the train with it clipped on to their shirts, books bags of just hold it in their hand. I might be thinking a bit too much...but for someone like me who plays alot of videos and music on his ipaq...it would be nice to have one so i don't have to pull my ipaq out the case every time i want to change a song or raise the volume. Dont get me wrong...there is nothing i like doing better than pulling out my ipaq, but this would be a nice add on feture. Even if compaq put the little jack for it next the to audio jack and sell it as an extra add on that would be great. That would be one more thing to make the ipaq serious the king it is!!! What do you guys think?

ps. Excuse any spelling errors....im half sleep and bored.

wardseward
09-17-2003, 10:24 PM
better yet...how about a bluetooth remote to control your favorite PPC audio/video application. :)

rzanology
09-17-2003, 10:26 PM
hmmmm....would be nice....but then we'd be killing our poor 2215 battery....lord knows it already suck!!! lol nah it doesn't suck...but batter might be a problem.

rhmorrison
09-17-2003, 10:28 PM
...it would be nice to have one so i don't have to pull my ipaq out the case every time i want to change a song or raise the volume...
Gee Mr. Bill, I thought that's what the up/down (or scroll wheel) and record button were for, at least thats what I use them for on my hp Jornada 568 - up/down for volume up/down, record for next song. Since I now carry my Jornada on my belt in the beautiful Vaja case that I received this is very convienent.

rzanology
09-17-2003, 10:31 PM
well mr.bob its hard to reach for my ipaq on the 2 train during rush our to change a song. Sorry i wasn't thinking of a solution for the man who has nothing but farm land next to him. Silly me.

easylife
09-17-2003, 10:53 PM
The JVC Pocket PCs will have this function. :way to go:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,13871

Bottom of the first paragraph says that a wired remote will be one of the optional accessories. :D

rzanology
09-17-2003, 10:57 PM
will they really??? damn it...hopfully compaq qill hurry up and shark it! and just so you know...its not function..its "thingie"

Kati Compton
09-17-2003, 10:57 PM
Maybe I'm making this up, but I thought some of the newer Toshiba PPCs that were marketed in Japan had this...

rzanology
09-17-2003, 11:00 PM
well....maybe if some one can make enough noise we can see it on the next generation of ipaqs....i take it that we all agree this would be a worth while feature. Do you think sending them an e-mail would help?

easylife
09-17-2003, 11:01 PM
Although there was speculation that the JVC Pocket PCs would be available September 15, it appears that the date has been pushed back to November 15. :(

spursdude
09-17-2003, 11:51 PM
Maybe I'm making this up, but I thought some of the newer Toshiba PPCs that were marketed in Japan had this...
Right - the e570 had a wired remote control for music as an accessory, and I believe that it actually was sold in the United States.

stevey500
09-18-2003, 12:10 AM
The toshiba e750/e755 has this feature too

Shadowcat
09-18-2003, 12:22 AM
The "thingy" is called a remote. Sorry, couldn't resist :wink:. Sony's CLIEs have had this feature for a long time now. I've been waiting for such a feature in the PPC world since my first iPAQ, but no one has included it yet. I can't wait to see what JVC can come up with.

hamishmacdonald
09-18-2003, 12:31 AM
Actually, in Japan you can get a remote control for the LOOX, which isn't being marketed (for whatever reason) in Europe or the US.

I had a LOOX, and miss that feature. That's the only thing I miss about it, though. (Many Bluetooth grumbles.)

jide
09-18-2003, 01:56 AM
I bought my wife an ipaq 1910 some time ago. It came with a thingy.

rzanology
09-18-2003, 12:56 PM
The 1940 had the thinie?!?!?!? come ooooooooon....this is getting outtah control. Some one some where at compaq has to have tried to get this thingie to go mainstream!!! i am tired of reaching to my side to change the volume!!!! I few post back some one said bluetooth....i said naah...but i thought about it last night...so what if the battery is hurting...i'll just charge it when i get to work or home. So....for all you big shot people who read these forums....spit out some damn R&D and get me a bluetooth thingie!!!!